I'm looking for a different boost with more grit and just
nastier. I've got a custom triple tube screamer ts808/ts9/turbo9 all in the same house and a nice transparent
clean boost to. I play hard rock to metal. Gears in my sig.
Thanks.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Why don't you just turn up the gain on the tube screamers?
'cause you're not really getting any more tightening than that you get with three tube screamers one after another, all with the volumes and gains maxed.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I use my OCD as a boost when I want to add more hair and balls to my sound. It really pushes the amp hard and makes it nasty.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I all ready tried turning up the gain and this is 3 screamers one
box so only ones active at a time and Im just looking for different options time to change it up some look for the next
sound.

Also have a Ocd clone somewhere around nice mention
though.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Last edited by RJH11 at Feb 5, 2014,
Bump the Vol/Output levels up quite a bit, add Tone as you see fit for each OD pedal, and add little to no Gain/Distortion. Obviously have your amps gain level Very low.

I do the same thing with my Engl FB 100. I dime my output for my Maxon OD, Tone at 10 o'clock, and no Gain. I follow it with an MXR Zack Wylde OD by putting the output at 2 o'clock, Tone at 2 o'clock, and no Gain. It's fantastic live.....but terrible for any form of recording, lol.
Sd1 on a budget or Fulldrive 2 will give you a grittier, nastier tone. It is a nice change up to the ts
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Sd1 on a budget or Fulldrive 2 will give you a grittier, nastier tone. It is a nice change up to the ts

+1

I have an MXR M77, which sounds very very close to the SD-1, but it's a little nicer, a little quieter.

If you can find a good deal on an MXR Classic Overdrive (they were $40 new, I'm pretty sure), I'm pretty sure they have an internal switch to switch them between a Tubescreamer and an SD-1 (clipping type switch).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks lucky this is more the type of suggestions
I'm after I'm wanting different metal boost tones
then what my pedals in all combos have allowed
me to explore. Thanks to everyone else as well but
if it has to do with what I have I've tried it. And if this
helps my two high gain MTS modules are the KH3 and
the 1086.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Thanks guys keep them coming
I'm gonna OD on Od's that kinda
kick going noting all the new stuff
Thanks again.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by lucky1978
Sd1

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just a stock sd-1 or modded Version? Old or new?
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
The SD-1 circuit hasn't changed, as far as I know. I'd get a new one so you don't have to deal with that old 12V nonsense.

I wouldn't bother modding it for use as a boost.

After the cost of mod you could have gotten an MXR M77 like I mentioned earlier, which is already quieter (the SD-1 is quite noisy, but it is what it is for the price, all considered).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah a stock one should be fine.

as offworld says i'm not sure there's any point in modding if you're just using it for a boost. or there's the mxr as he said (i haven't tried it) for not much more.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys I'll give one a try soon.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Got one of the first ones in the music room some
where another good mention though.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
If I'm reading the original post correctly, I'm thinking that "more grit and just nastier" doesn't come from simply cranking up gain. I've got a Carvin Quad-X tube preamp. It's got NINE 12AX7 tubes, four channels. Each channel has more gain stages than the last, right up to eleven tube gain stages (a single tube gain stage uses half of a 12 AX7, essentially). What happens is that the gain gets creamier, not grittier and nastier. Worth noting that simply cranking up gain increases compression, and that reduces dynamics (what makes for grit and nasty).

I have an old EL84-based combo amp that's been modded. It had a very legato-style gain structure in the 2nd channel, designed with Allan Holdsworth. A few tone stack modifications changed that, to the point where it now sounds like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain than any vintage Marshall ever had.

But the other modification was to the feedback circuit; cranking in a certain amount of negative feedback helps keep the amp from breaking up when pushed. I now have a knob that allows me to dial in anything from the original amount of negative feedback down to zero. In the old days, this was the original "presence" control. By dialing back the amount of negative feedback, you can make even a gorgeous clean channel begin to break up when you dig in doing blues, etc.

The combination of the tone stack mods and the feedback control gives me "grit and nasty" that very few pedals will attain.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 5, 2014,
timmy's are nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Warp distortion? Who makes this effect?
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals