I've always been an electric guitarist but felt like buying an acoustic to practice with, so here's my first one! It's a Yamaha APX500II in vintage white.

(sorry for the low quality picture, that's the best I can do right now)

Here's my first impression:

PROS

- Excellent build quality and craftmanship. It feels almost like my old Gibson Explorer, which is 3 times the price.
- Extremely comfortable neck. I expected it to be somewhat hard to play, but it's actually smoother than most electrics.
- Good sound, especially when plugged in.
- Proper setup straight out the box. Low action, no fret buzzes, and it was even tuned!
- Runs two AA batteries instead of a 9V battery.

CONS

- Not the best upper fret access.
- Low quality tuners.
- The output jack is tight and I had to use some effort to insert and remove the cable.
- I'm not fond of the integrated tuner, but I have my own so it's not a problem.

I'll give a 8/10 overall.
nice guitar ! i've never seen one in white. good choice !
as for the tuners, i'd replace them.. i almost never keep the originals. Gotohs would probably be overkill on that Yammie but Grover does make some nice cheaper ones.
as for the tuner, you have that covered... i like my Snark tuners over the onboard ones anyway.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by Poglia
I've always been an electric guitarist but felt like buying an acoustic to practice with, so here's my first one! It's a Yamaha APX500II in vintage white.

(sorry for the low quality picture, that's the best I can do right now)
The photo is actually passable. Or at least it would be, if you hadn't put that chrome whatever POS right behind it. Next time, let your mind go blank, as in "blank wall".
Quote by Poglia
Here's my first impression:
Since this is more or less, "a state of the guitar" message, I have this nagging feeling I should be working on, "the Crank party rebuttal". But I won't, (mercifully).
Quote by Poglia
- Excellent build quality and craftmanship. It feels almost like my old Gibson Explorer, which is 3 times the price.
OK, that's almost sacrilege. But nonetheless, most likely true!
Quote by Poglia
- Extremely comfortable neck. I expected it to be somewhat hard to play, but it's actually smoother than most electrics.
Do you have any idea how many Chinamen had to be flogged, to give you a fully bound neck at that price point? (Probably none, but you can bet they were working for less than US minimum wage).
Quote by Poglia
- Good sound, especially when plugged in.
Everything sounds good plugged in! It's almost snobbish to not plug in these days.
Quote by Poglia
- Proper setup straight out the box. Low action, no fret buzzes, and it was even tuned!
Most guitars ship about 2 semis down. If you bought it at Sweetwater, they might have trimmed it up for you. Although, many here claim that to be true of Yamahas in general.
- Runs two AA batteries instead of a 9V battery.[/QUOTE As does my Ibanex AEL10. That's a dynamite feature, isn't it?
Quote by Poglia
- Not the best upper fret access.
Really? Why do people expect that simply because an acoustic has a cutaway, it's going to play like a 24 fret Carvin? Keep in mind the body is more than 4' deep, as is the neck heel. Your hand geometry is entirely different than it would be on a solid body. On a positive note, a $3000.00 acoustic of the same body style, wouldn't be any better.
Quote by Poglia
I'm not fond of the integrated tuner, but I have my own so it's not a problem.
Those onboard tuners are usually too mushy around center frequency, to be terribly effective.

I have a Planet Waves stompbox strobe tuner that love and worship. At is my normal fate, right after I bought it, it was discontinued....

In any Event, "happy new guitar day"...!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 6, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
WOW

your name suits you

anyway, happy ngd TS
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
your name suits you
And here I thought that was one of my more friendly and lighthearted offerings....
Quote by Captaincranky
And here I thought that was one of my more friendly and lighthearted offerings....

It wasn't supposed to sound like a bad thing, i didn't think you were being an asshole just kinda funny to read your critique of his review and the captain cranky, it just fit, cheers m8
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
It wasn't supposed to sound like a bad thing, i didn't think you were being an asshole just kinda funny to read your critique of his review and the captain cranky, it just fit, cheers m8
Fair enough....