Hi,
I've been playing bass for about 4 months and I'm being self taught
I've gotten pretty good at reading the notes etc.

And I am ready to start slapping!
Does anyone have suggestions
For where to start

Thanks
Last edited by Surfgirl2k at Feb 5, 2014,
There's a book called Slap it by Tony Oppenheim. If you stick to it with a metronome and good sense of self-discipline (also don't try and jump ahead while working through it), it's probably the most solid foundation on the technique I've seen.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
You are not ready, you're motivated.

But that's good. Try it.

Try slapping near the bridge with your thumb facing down first. At the bridge, there is more string tension, so your thumb will bounce of easier, though poping will be hard.

Learn to slap octaves. E string fifth fret and D string seventh fret. Slap, pop, slap, pop, till you get the hang of it.

One of the easiest slap songs ( though not really slap, he plays with his thumb though ) would be RATM bullet in the head.
Quote by realsmoky
You are not ready, you're motivated.

But that's good. Try it.

Try slapping near the bridge with your thumb facing down first. At the bridge, there is more string tension, so your thumb will bounce of easier, though poping will be hard.

Learn to slap octaves. E string fifth fret and D string seventh fret. Slap, pop, slap, pop, till you get the hang of it.

One of the easiest slap songs ( though not really slap, he plays with his thumb though ) would be RATM bullet in the head.

Slapping near the bridge seems like a recipe for disaster, especially for a beginner.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
Slapping near the bridge seems like a recipe for disaster, especially for a beginner.

Could you explain to me how and why?

Even today I find slapping near the bridge more interesting.

It gives you the feel of the slap but it has a richer sound to me.
Check out YouTube-Channel "MarlowDK" ...excellent free slap lessons for beginners there...all you ever need to know about slapping
Best advice I ever got from someone when I started to learn to slap was to stop thinking like a bass player and start thinking like a drummer. Your thumb should be relaxed but as accurate as a drum stick. Practicing on a small hand drum helped me get that percussive feel down