Hello all. I got two guitars I don't know which one is better. I mainly play thrash metal also I use clean tones from time to time. Help me choose. Epiphone exceeds my budget a little but if there is a big difference between them (I mean some quality differences) I can pay 661$.

- Epiphone Prophecy Les Paul Custom Plus EX Outfit ME/MS (EMG 81-85) - 661$
- Schecter Demon V-1 FR. (Duncan designed hb-105) - 484$
Let's start out with a few other things.

You play mainly trash metal. Are you an experienced, or novice player?

The schecter has a floyd rose. Do you have experience with floating trem systems?

The epiphone has emgs. Are you familiar with active pickups, and what amp do you use?

Does it have to be one of these? Would you like to expand your options?
ayy lmao
I have been played electric guitar for 4 years. I got a guitar with floyd rose so yes for the first question. I am not experienced with active pickups. I am planning to buy an Line 6 spider IV something home amp. Actually it is little hard to find so many guitars in my town so I only got these two. Why did you ask are these bad or something ?
RIght out of the gate, do not get a Line 6 Spider of any kind. Get a Roland Cube, a Peavey Vypyr or bust. Spiders sound awful.
Quote by micholaso
Why did you ask are these bad or something ?

No. Its just that those guitars are very different kind of guitars oriented for harder music. The most obvious difference being that the Schecter has the Floyd as opposed to a TOM, and since you have chosen between 2 guitars that have those features respectively, it suggests that you don't really know about the maintenance and drawbacks a Floyd inherently has, as well as its advantages. Which are things you really have to know about prior to getting a guitar with a Floyd.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
RIght out of the gate, do not get a Line 6 Spider of any kind. Get a Roland Cube, a Peavey Vypyr or bust. Spiders sound awful.

No. Its just that those guitars are very different kind of guitars oriented for harder music. The most obvious difference being that the Schecter has the Floyd as opposed to a TOM, and since you have chosen between 2 guitars that have those features respectively, it suggests that you don't really know about the maintenance and drawbacks a Floyd inherently has, as well as its advantages. Which are things you really have to know about prior to getting a guitar with a Floyd.

all of this was better put that i could have worded it

Now, to add to this, the type of pick ups you get won't really matter until you get an all tube amp. Even more so with actives. (line 6 spiders are modeling amps btw, and bad at it. Seriously, get a vyper if you have to get a modeler)

What's your current gear? That'll give a bit more insight into the tone you're looking for.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

In Warsaw there aren't really that many guitars that I can choose between. I know about Floyd Rose, my current guitar is also a FR system. That being said, I know that these guitars are different, but my other options are an approx 800$ Hagstrom which is not suited for thrash, and a relatively crappy LTD something. Schecters and Epiphones are the best I could find in Warsaw, at least in my price range.

My current gear actually is nothing, because I've changed countries, but it was an obscure model of SX with a Boston 15W amp.

All in all, I've tried both of them and without anymore options in my price range, I'll probably get one of these two. I'm not looking at live gigs or anything, only to play in my home and practice. At least for now. So as title says, Epiphone or Schecter?
I would go with the Epiphone. The EMG pickups are very well suited for thrash IMO, and the duncan designed pickups are rather weak sounding in comparison. EMGs can have decent cleans if you are clever with your amp's EQ.

As mentioned above... do NOT get the Line 6 Spider. You will regret it. Get a Peavey Vypyr instead.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by micholaso
I am not experienced with active pickups.

Ok, as someone with active pickups in my main guitar, a few things...

You will not be able to hide any potential playing mistakes. I know, with passive pickups, people can sometimes crank the volume to the degree that mistakes get drowned out. Yeah, that doesn't work with active pickups; you WILL hear everything! So, get to practicing.

Active pickups are a lot "louder", due to the fact that you have a 9v battery pouring electricity directly into them. What this means is, if you want to save your ears, don't crank your amp all the time. Your volume knob is now your new best friend.

You will have to learn how to properly EQ active pickups. EMG81-85 sets, from what I have heard, can sometimes be light on the low end. (I actually have a set of active pickups from Seymour Duncan, which basically is comparable to an EMG85 in the neck and an active pickup more mid & bass punch than the 85 in the bridge.) So, you will have to adjust for this, if you want a good thick Thrash tone. Active pickups were designed originally for Jazz, and they can play just about anything -- if you EQ them correctly.
Remember not to neglect the mids, as the human ears hear mids most clearly. (This is true of all guitar pickups, but it's especially important with active pickups.) All of your tone is going to come from mids. In general, mids should be slightly higher than bass and treble.

Quote by micholaso
I am planning to buy an Line 6 spider IV something home amp.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Right out of the gate, do not get a Line 6 Spider of any kind. Get a Roland Cube, a Peavey Vypyr or bust. Spiders sound awful.

I second T00DEEPBLUE's say on this. I personally prefer Roland Cube amps, because they're very versatile and are built like freakin' tanks. The Cube-80GX is what I would go with. I own the Cube 60, and the Cube-80GX is the next step up. Just note that volume knob is very touchy, so be kind to your ears.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 5, 2014,
but can you guys get strong overdrive from The cube or Peavey cuz I tried this line 6 in the music shop. It has a mode called insane and you can get really strong overdrive. I need an amp like that cuz I cannot get a distortion pedal this year unless I buy this schecter instead of epiphone.
Quote by micholaso

All in all, I've tried both of them and without anymore options in my price range, I'll probably get one of these two. I'm not looking at live gigs or anything, only to play in my home and practice. At least for now. So as title says, Epiphone or Schecter?

I haven't played either, but it seems you're dead set on one or the other and don't care for recommendations.

Personally, i'd go with the schecter.

In that price range, you get a nice bang for the buck with schecter. I generally don't like actives either, so the emg 81/85 set inconveniences me.

Not to say epiphone isn't a good brand, just that in my experience with cheaper schecters and epiphones, schecter is slightly better in that department.

That's not to say the cheap floyd wouldn't be a deal breaker in your case though. If it's a fr special (which i'll take a guess it is) It would probably be meh.

Still though, i'd go for schecter, but that's just me.

Quote by micholaso
but can you guys get strong overdrive from The cube or Peavey cuz I tried this line 6 in the music shop. It has a mode called insane and you can get really strong overdrive. I need an amp like that cuz I cannot get a distortion pedal this year unless I buy this schecter instead of epiphone.

Peavey vypyer's are EXTREMELY versatile and most of the built in effects are fairly decent. You can get a strong overdrive and wicked distortion. Not to mention entire websites are dedicated to eqing a signature tone on a vyper, so it wouldn't be that hard to find a good tone if you looked.

modeling amps don't take pedals well though. Keep that in mind.

I have no experience with the cube, I can't vouch for it tone wise.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 5, 2014,
Quote by micholaso

If you looked at the link in my post, you would see several pictures of the Cube-80GX. The equivalent of "insane" would be the "Extreme" or the "Dyna Amp" settings. (The Cube 60 has only the Dyna Amp option, but I know that extreme is basically a big overdrive amp model.) I guarantee that you will get a better tone out of the Cube's Extreme/Dyna Amp setting than you would get out of the Line 6's Insane setting. Line 6 Spiders are notorious for being flashy and such, but have terrible tone compared to their competitor's models in the same price range.
Tonewise, I would say it is comparable to the Vyper. It's a newer line of amps though, so there's not loads of websites dedicated to tone hunting and such. Personally, I hate the idea of tone hunting. But that's just me.

Also, amp > distortion pedal every time.
Of course I care for recommendations but as I said it is almost impossible to find perfect guitars and amps here in that price range and I don't wanna buy guitars without trying them. For amp I don't actually need something so professional and expensive. I can buy something better next year. But if I can find the amps that you recommended I will give them a try.
Quote by micholaso
Of course I care for recommendations but as I said it is almost impossible to find perfect guitars and amps here in that price range and I don't wanna buy guitars without trying them. For amp I don't actually need something so professional and expensive. I can buy something better next year. But if I can find the amps that you recommended I will give them a try.

If price of the amp is an issue, the Cube-40GX is the 40W version of the 80GX. It's $150 cheaper.

Quote by micholaso
Thanks crazysam. I will check it out if I can find some Cubes.

I'd be very surprised if your local music store doesn't have at least 1 or 2 Cube models. Roland is a fairly big company with an excellent reputation, so most stores stock Cubes. Anyway, glad to be of help!
While I cannot directly help with the choice as I don't have much experience with Epiphones, one important thing I wanted to point out:

The Schecter Demon has HB-105 pickups, which are also active, they're based on the SD Blackouts. ( http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/all/hb105/ ) Therefore both guitars have active pickups in this case.

Just decided to add this, since I own a Demon 7 myself and was quite surprised reading this thread at first - the whole Schecter's Demon series uses actives.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Also, amp > distortion pedal every time.

Hi. Have you met a Wampler Triple Wreck before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQr89MGr1Y
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by TheLiberation
While I cannot directly help with the choice as I don't have much experience with Epiphones, one important thing I wanted to point out:

The Schecter Demon has HB-105 pickups, which are also active, they're based on the SD Blackouts. ( http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/all/hb105/ ) Therefore both guitars have active pickups in this case.

Just decided to add this, since I own a Demon 7 myself and was quite surprised reading this thread at first - the whole Schecter's Demon series uses actives.

ah, ok

my mistake. I figured they were passive because most of the duncan designed pickups at that price point in the schecter line are normally passive
ayy lmao
Going back to the original topic, if you're set on those two guitars with no other options you're willing to consider, I'd get the Epiphone. Reason being is that I actually own a Prophecy, so I can vouch for it. The satin-finished neck is very nice and the guitar overall sounds exactly how it looks and weighs -heavy. They also look really, really nice, which I think is a really, really important thing especially when you're just starting out.

But the main reason for you owning one I think, is because it doesn't have a Floyd. Floyds can be a real pain in the ass to keep having to maintain, and if you want to downtune quickly and easily with a Floyd, forget about it. And besides that, having a huge chunk of wood carved out of the guitar for the Floyd, negatively affects your tone and especially your sustain imo.

I'd also recommend a Cube since I own a Cube 60. I really like the JC120 model, enough that I went to the trouble of building an A/B so I can switch between it and my 6505+ for the clean channel.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 5, 2014,
men scheter r gr8 if u gonna do some serious shreddin'. i got an epphone zak wylde but it sucks shit. you go with scheter you gonna et yor money worths...
hello. epiiphone is better than schecter between those prices. but active pickups are hard to maintain because you need batteries. I hate batteries. idiotguitarist is a real idiot by the way. go for the epiphone!