Well i want to record drums with mics, so what exactly do i need and where exactly do i have to plug it. Basically i'm confused with the inputs on a interface, what does analog, line and midi do exactly.
Quote by chookiecookie
Go penis them

hard
What gear do you have?

Anyway, analog line in/out is a way of saying what kind of signal the input/output is designed to recieve/send.
Line level is a certain level at an impedance level of around 10kOhm.
Stuff at line level is, for the most part, the already pre-amplified stuff - a keyboard output, a mic after a pre...

Midi is a digital data interface used to transmit data regarding notes and velocity and other note parameters.
It's used in synths and keyboard and stuff - here google and Wikipedia are your friends.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
What gear do you have?

Anyway, analog line in/out is a way of saying what kind of signal the input/output is designed to recieve/send.
Line level is a certain level at an impedance level of around 10kOhm.
Stuff at line level is, for the most part, the already pre-amplified stuff - a keyboard output, a mic after a pre...

Midi is a digital data interface used to transmit data regarding notes and velocity and other note parameters.
It's used in synths and keyboard and stuff - here google and Wikipedia are your friends.

Not sure what the mics are but at least i know understand the XLR connections. Anywho my final question would be, how do i increase the number of inputs(for mics) of my interface? i've been reading that you can just buy another and connect them with some lines(jacks).
Quote by chookiecookie
Go penis them

hard
What's your interface?
You could buy some cheap pres, say couple alesis mictube duo, and run them into your interface's line ins.
Or you could get a bigger interface.

If you don't need to keep the signals split into different channels (so ending up in having the output from 2 mics or more on the same track) you could just buy a cheap mixer, say a used mackie 1202/1402 VLZ/VLZ PRO/VLZ or whatever you like best, really.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Aww we have the same interface :P

Well you're out of luck then, that interface hasn't got enough analog inputs.
You could find some multi channel pre with integrated ADC and plug an spdif digital out into the fast track pro's digital spdif in.

Bottom line, if you want all of the tracks on different channels, you gotta buy a bigger interface.
I advise mackie onyx blackbirds or focusrite saffires.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola