I'm thinking of buying one of these amps this year. The price difference between both is about € 80,-, and I'm wondering if I should go for the 100 watt or the 50 watt head.
I'll be playing it through my Framus 212 with celestion V30's.

How big is the difference in tone between both amps? I read that in general a 100 watt sounds a fuller and more articulate than a 50 watter, I'm wondering how this applies to this amp in particular.

How is the clean headroom on the 50 watter? At the moment I'm using a Valveking 100 played through my Framus cab, most volume I need on that is at about 2.5/10 on the volume dial. I'm not looking for incredibly clean, but it has to be clean enough to strum an open chord and hear a clean tone instead of AC/DC.
The 100 has more headroom
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
These are excellent amps, but if you're worried about clean headroom with them I would look elsewhere. They are capable of clean tones, but only with the pregain below 2. Anything above that and you'll start getting more crunch than clean (if that makes sense)

Given that, I ran my 100W model with only a pair of 6L6's, effectively making it a 50W with bigger iron. I could achieve pretty decent clean tones at medium high volume, but I could be drowned out by a band pretty easy at the same time.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I read that in general a 100 watt sounds a fuller and more articulate than a 50 watter, I'm wondering how this applies to this amp in particular.
Quote by urduadma
I read that in general a 100 watt sounds a fuller and more articulate than a 50 watter, I'm wondering how this applies to this amp in particular.

That is no true. It is all dependent on the individual amp Vox AC30 sounds full as hell and it is a 30 watt amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Flux'D
These are excellent amps, but if you're worried about clean headroom with them I would look elsewhere. They are capable of clean tones, but only with the pregain below 2. Anything above that and you'll start getting more crunch than clean (if that makes sense)

Do you, or anyone else with experience with the Valveking and the JCA, think that I would be able to achieve the clean volume I need? The maximum clean volume I'd need would be around 2.5/10 on the Valveking, but I don't know if that says anything to you.

Quote by Robbgnarly
That is no true. It is all dependent on the individual amp Vox AC30 sounds full as hell and it is a 30 watt amp

I meant in the case of an amp where both a 100 and a 50 watter is available, the things I read generaly state that the biggest version usually sounds the fuller and more articulate than the smaller version. Like how an AC50 compares to an AC30 (don't know if they're actually the same amp apart from the wattage, only comparable if they are ofcourse). So how would the be in the case of the JCA?
The JCA 50/100 sound pretty similar to me, the 100 can stay clean louder than the 50. Also remember a 50n watt will cost 1/2 as much for power tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been gigging with my JCA50H thru a mesa 212 (V30's) for over a year now.

I haven't had any issues keeping the amp clean yet. I keep the pre gain right around 2, and crank the master up to about 5-7 for band practice, un-miced (my drummer is loud as hell). I'm happy with the cleans that I get. When we gig, the master usually sits more around 4ish, being miced and all.

Like Robb said, the 100 watter will obviously have more head room, but can you justify the extra upfront cost and the extra cash you'll have to spend on power tubes?? Well thats your call.

I highly recommend the 50 watter. If you want to hear what the cleans can sound like, I can send you some songs I recorded with an old band using the JCA50H.

Cheers!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar

I highly recommend the 50 watter. If you want to hear what the cleans can sound like, I can send you some songs I recorded with an old band using the JCA50H.

Cheers!

Why not post them in your UG profile? Its always interesting to hear what kind of stuff UG's play and how their rig sounds like.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The Valveking has a lot of clean headroom on its clean channel. I don't think I ever really got that channel to break up.

The JCA50 will break up pretty easily. It does have the separate pre gain and volumes for each channel however, so you can dial in a decent clean on one channel while having the other heavily distorted.
Quote by evmac
The Valveking has a lot of clean headroom on its clean channel. I don't think I ever really got that channel to break up.

The JCA50 will break up pretty easily. It does have the separate pre gain and volumes for each channel however, so you can dial in a decent clean on one channel while having the other heavily distorted.

+1 i have owned a VK100 and a JCA 50 watt head (this was not too far after they came out, so maybe things have changed something).

i don't remember much about the VK, but the clean channel will stay clean through 99% of situations.

i really didn't care for the jet city head but i do remember some breakup if i pushed it much at all. but there is a noticeable difference between 50 and 100 watts for headroom.

get a 100 and pull a pair of power tubes., then you have a 50 watter with potential for more cleans if you want them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by red.guitar
I've been gigging with my JCA50H thru a mesa 212 (V30's) for over a year now.

I haven't had any issues keeping the amp clean yet. I keep the pre gain right around 2, and crank the master up to about 5-7 for band practice, un-miced (my drummer is loud as hell). I'm happy with the cleans that I get. When we gig, the master usually sits more around 4ish, being miced and all.

Like Robb said, the 100 watter will obviously have more head room, but can you justify the extra upfront cost and the extra cash you'll have to spend on power tubes?? Well thats your call.

Cheers!

Would be great to hear your recordings

What you said is valuable information for me. We usually don't play very loud , I'm at around 1/10 (first dot) on the Valveking in my bedroom, as well as during bandpractice and gigging. Though a little extra (clean) volume can be usefull for outdoor gigs, that's why I stated the 2.5/10 as the maximum I'd need.
Looking at the volume you use I'd say it'd be enough for what I need, anyone else that would like to share the volumelevels they use with this amp during bandpractice or gigging?
Quote by MaaZeus
Why not post them in your UG profile? Its always interesting to hear what kind of stuff UG's play and how their rig sounds like.

I've tried, but when they upload, they don't seem to want to play I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong??

HERE are a couple tracks I did with the JCA50H.

Listen to Sinking for the clean tones. I have my TC alter ego going on the clean channel, but you should be able to get an idea of the headroom. I don't have anything with just straight up clean tones, sorry . The distortion on that one was tracked with my JCA50H, and a 5150iii mixed (channel 2 on both).

Two sides is straight up JCA crunch. I had my JCA50H at about 2-3 on the pre on the lead channel and a JCA20H cranked up together.

I can relate to your dilemma. The biggest deciding factor when I was buying my JCA was the clean channel. I was unable to to try one out before buying, and I hate taking a risk like that, just based on others opinions. I bit the bullet, and tried it, and luckily it turned out to be a solid amp, IMO anyways. You cant really go wrong for the price of the amp.

I'm glad I was able to help! Keep us posted on your decision!!

Edit: Got them working on my profile now!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Feb 7, 2014,
I have the JCA50, and while i love the amp, the cleans arent all that good. It goes crunchy real fast, and i sometimes have problems getting my cleans to be loud enough, because you need to keep the gain really low. It works for me since i primarily use it as a hi gain beast, and i love its higain tone, but if you are getting it for the cleans, then i would look elsewhere.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.