I'd really appreciate all the help I can get here, this will be a fairly long post but for the next 4 months this will be my daily focus so please bear with me. If it matters to you at all I and my band are all 18 years old.

I left school at Christmas. It's my last year at school and the end of year prom is on June 13th. I made an agreement with the school that because I left at Christmas I would only get to attend prom if I played live music at the venue, since everyone in my year knows I'm heavily into my music and I've always wanted to perform.

So my band (which is as yet unnamed) will consist of me singing and playing the lead guitar, a bassist and a drummer. I can't describe the genre of music we are going to play, I listen to so many different genres and artists and feel that this has to be something totally original.

*A quick sidenote, if you are musically open-minded you will understand that great music is everywhere, but only certain genres can give you certain moods. I want to achieve several moods in my performance. Joy Division can give me some real adrenaline but then some of Warp Records' ambient releases give me a beautiful, heart-tinging mood. The sort of stuff you can honestly cry to.*

We will be playing roughly 6 songs of average time (4 minutes or so each). The venue is a typical function room used for weddings and such and is in a hotel in the heart of Edinburgh. My whole year, most staff at my school and a few close friends will be present, so roughly 200 people.

That's my whole situation in detail. I want this performance to be incredible, hopefully afterward my band can record an EP which will get us noticed. I digress.

What I came here to ask is advice on setting up my gig. I've played at school concerts and things but never had my own gig. I want to achieve the best sound possible, I want the best acoustics, the right volume, everything. This will be more than just live music; in my head it's like a wall of sound. For anyone who knows dub (NOT dubstep) and artists like Scientist or King Tubby you will understand how unique the drums can sound and how whole tracks can melt effortlessly using specific microphone positions and effects in relation to the instruments.

That's it! I'm writing down things in a notepad I carry around with me everywhere now and I'm rehearsing with my band around 3 times a week. They both still attend school whereas I work full time so it's not so easy but we will definitely be tighter soon.

Long story short; what do I need to pull off the best live gig in history?? (if there ever was or is one)
Well.....preferably you should of been playing with you band in live situations for a couple of years now and your sound is really tight, you've worked actively with sound issues and the band has learned that going for the volume pots is not always the solution when they get buried, you've attained equipment and instruments of a better standard and you work with an amazing sound technician that is able to reproduce your stage sound outwards. When you've worked through the volume issues than you need too adress the whole lighting and "show"......

...this came out quite sarcastic but this is the honest truth......the best thing you could do is work really, really hard with your band and then hire a company to set up sound, lights and provide a technician that is not going to be afraid to tell you what to do sound wise so you all sound professional.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Beautiful heart tinging moods are down to you! Help with the sound is in the stickies above.
For my budget I don't think on the whole thing I'd spend more than £300. We all have our own instruments and the venue is paid for.

I just wanted some ideas to create a "show" and also the basics I would need to get the best sound. I need a sound technician but I have a few in mind already. I naturally assumed most people on this forum are experienced in live gigs so that's why I posted. The venue is an open spaced but low ceiling room so I worry that the dynamics will be all wrong. I want a couple of songs to be really loud and in your face (but not metal of any kind, I think more post-punk) then some to be nice and quiet. This is all in keeping with dynamic and mood changes like on Siamese Dream which I think work great. In your experience what has best worked for you when playing live? I'd want to learn from other people.
I think the two of us who have replied are very gently trying to tell you something and you haven't got it yet.

It is good to be ambitious but at the moment you are talking dreams and those are best kept to yourself. Most of what you say is about how it will sound and that depends upon your skill as a musician and how much work you put in, internet advice can't help you there. Bandleading is essentially about practical stuff and a bit of moral support when it all goes bad.

You may be able to produce the music you dream of, I hope you do well but you need to sort the practicalities. For £300 you should be able to hire a reasonable PA, buying anything worth having is going to be in the thousands if you genuinely expect to sound the way you say. Hire a PA with an engineer and let them worry about the practicalities. the only thing you can do is look for the best engineer you can afford. Or cut back on your dreams. If you are using your school's PA, or the venue's then you won't sound like you expect and you need to just do the best you can.

The reality for most gigging bands is one of simple practicality, struggling with inadequate gear, broken leads, poor vocal mic's, bandmates who are under rehearsed, poor room acoustics, feedback and struggling to hear yourself on stage. get any of these wrong and you won't realise your dreams.
my advice would be to go back to school and go to the prom and do any sort of show. There's no way you're going to give them the orgasmic experience you're describing. Not with a band that doesn't have a name and doesn't have any songs with a 300$ budget

Honestly, you quit 5 months before you graduated? 5 months???? Unless you stick your dick in a wasps nest one day, this will have been your absolute stupidest decision you've ever made in your life.

Go back to school!
Quote by LedZep9626
You guys are useless! See you on the other side!

Jesus H Christ ....I wanted to reply like the guy above but I tried to be nice cause the innocence in the dreams of youth are something that may lead to great things.....but it would seem your just a dick with a screw loose.....and if I do see you on the other side I will try my upmost to avoid you
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
It's nice to have "dreams". We all have them but you want perfection also and you don't have a real band, you don't have any songs and (apparently) you don't have a PA. My advice would be either get serious and make it happen without all you dreamy expectations and don't wait. Five months is not nearly long enough to do what you want.
Lastly a bit of snotty advice: Sometimes you need to put the pipe down and put the cap on the Jim Beam.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 7, 2014,
This band will be the next big thing. I am going to be music's next big thing. You'll all see!
Wow dude, chill. People are trying to help you out, and you start shouting like that? Honestly, I hope you realize your dreams and throw a killer gig for your first. People here are simply trying to manage your expectations. Exactly because of the reason you came here in the first place; a lot of us have probably gigged a lot more than you.

I remember my first gig. It was thrilling, exciting, and a good learning experience. I probably thought I sounded awesome. I probably sounded like sh!t. A lot of years down the line, I've learned how to use my equipment, what to do in any particular kind of room, and have a band with whom I've been together for several years, so I know how the want and meant to sound. We have had an awesome gig last night and still, in my mind, I think what willl we need to to better next week?

The point of that little story was to show you that focusing all your energy on that one show isn't going to realize the dream you have. You just need to have a good time, and learn. A few years from now, whether you have became "the next big thing in music" or just an enthusiastic amateur with a nice band, you'll think back to that first gig with some nice thoughts.

And man, don't be a jerk. Go back to school.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's
Gibson Midtown Custom
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Telecaster Standard
Gretsch Corvette
Danelectro DC59

Crybaby | TS9 | Korg | Little Big Muff | PS-6| MXR Chorus | TC Spark| DL4
Quote by timfleur1987
Wow dude, chill. People are trying to help you out, and you start shouting like that? Honestly, I hope you realize your dreams and throw a killer gig for your first. People here are simply trying to manage your expectations. Exactly because of the reason you came here in the first place; a lot of us have probably gigged a lot more than you.

I remember my first gig. It was thrilling, exciting, and a good learning experience. I probably thought I sounded awesome. I probably sounded like sh!t. A lot of years down the line, I've learned how to use my equipment, what to do in any particular kind of room, and have a band with whom I've been together for several years, so I know how the want and meant to sound. We have had an awesome gig last night and still, in my mind, I think what willl we need to to better next week?

The point of that little story was to show you that focusing all your energy on that one show isn't going to realize the dream you have. You just need to have a good time, and learn. A few years from now, whether you have became "the next big thing in music" or just an enthusiastic amateur with a nice band, you'll think back to that first gig with some nice thoughts.

And man, don't be a jerk. Go back to school.

Sure thing dude. You seem to get it. I just wanted some help you know and instead got all these pessimistic comments which I half expected given the amount of freaks on this website. And what's with all the go back to school comments! I work full time as a commis chef, I enjoy cooking. School is a waste of time. I mean really what did you learn there? If my band doesn't make it I'm going into politics to sort of the mess that education is today in the UK.

So long.
Quote by LedZep9626
School is a waste of time. I mean really what did you learn there? If my band doesn't make it I'm going into politics to sort of the mess that education is today in the UK.

What makes you think anyone will listen to someone who doesn't have an education on the subject of education?

Just be sure to get that burger flip down mate, you're gonna need it.
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Let's see, you want to have an epic 6 song concert while spending almost nothing on sound equipment. The band has no songs, no name, and a high school dropout who doesn't listen on vocals and guitar - and this is the guy responsible for putting it all together.

Sounds like you got a regular Woodstock on your hands.
Not the good one, though. Woodstock 99.
So, kid. I realize you're probably a troll. But on the off chance you're serious, here's a free lesson (you won't be able to afford many real ones on a fry cook's salary). Sometimes you need to shut your pie hole and listen to your betters, which it seems at this point is pretty much damn near everyone.
But good luck with the gig. You're really, really, really going to need it.
Quote by LedZep9626
Sure thing dude. You seem to get it. I just wanted some help you know and instead got all these pessimistic comments which I half expected given the amount of freaks on this website. And what's with all the go back to school comments! I work full time as a commis chef, I enjoy cooking. School is a waste of time. I mean really what did you learn there? If my band doesn't make it I'm going into politics to sort of the mess that education is today in the UK.

So long.

Interesting plan. I hope it works out.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but if the room is as big as you say it is, wouldn't it already have a PA/sound system installed in it?

Otherwise focus on getting the musicians and songs together for your big gig. It sounds like you only have 4 months to get this all together, and getting the songs written, the band together and the songs tight will be the biggest challenge ahead of you. The sound/lighting issue can easily be outsourced.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You don't really have much of plan. You sound like most kids who play guitar. You get together with a couple of friends and jam on a few songs. As a whole, the band doesn't have a decent sound or even a PA system to properly play at a gig.

If I were you, I would get back into school and finish out the last couple of months. It's idiotic to drop out at this point in the game. Even though you love cooking, you won't work at your current job forever. When you're in the search for a new job (assuming a cook position), you may be better at the job, but the employer will take a high school grad with slightly less experience over you. It may be tough, but it's the truth.

Quote by LedZep9626
This band will be the next big thing. I am going to be music's next big thing. You'll all see!

Just a question. You say that you're 18, yet your profile states that you won't be 18 until this upcoming September.

If you're music's "next big thing", than why have't we heard of you already? Where's your following on social media sites? Do you have videos of yourself on YouTube? If so, have any of them had any form of success?
Skip the username, call me Billy
I am looking forward to seeing this spectacular fail on youtube. Good luck!

Don't forget to start your set by saying "This is our first gig, but how hard could it be...?" That'll have em in stitches when it goes viral. If I even for a second think of being in your shoes i wanna throw up in terror. Thankfully, I'm not in your shoes!
Last edited by innovine at Mar 2, 2014,
This is what amateur gigs are like. Honestly, if you do as good as this then i'd be surprised, plus, this vid has the advantage that the audience already know the song (written by a very experienced band at a high point in their career.. Your milage may vary).
Now, if you wanna do this at your prom in front of 200 of your peers who are videoing you with their phones then who are we to stop you..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7LCyzLHUuA
Not sure if you can get any worse than that tbh.
Quote by chrisyoonyoon
where i'm from it's very different with emotionships
oh, you sure can. search for 'worst band' on youtube, there are a few great candidates.