So I was looking around (to get a telecaster, ya know) and I was wondering: should i get a fender telecaster (standard) or a g&l telecaster (standard)? I have played both types and love both, both cost the exact same price ($499) and I just don't know which one to get.
G&L import models are better than Fenders MIC/MIM guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
G&L import models are better than Fenders MIC/MIM guitars

that might be a little debatable. G&L does make some great guitars though.

OP choice is yours so play em again and make a choice you can't really lose either way
Quote by monwobobbo
that might be a little debatable. G&L does make some great guitars though.

OP choice is yours so play em again and make a choice you can't really lose either way

I have played both at least 7 or eight times and cannot choose, bot h sound great and look awesome. This is like saying "Choose a color" and they are just slightly different shades. I just want an overall opinion and this is killing me. Also, the fender I played has a very nice quality thoguh its a MIM.
try a few of the G&Ls and pick out the best one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Can you tell me what the differences are between them? Like are the frets worse on fenders/vice versa?
Quote by gregs1020
try a few of the G&Ls and pick out the best one.

I'm basically set down to one G & L, its a cherry red ASAT (comparable to the standard tele same price) and has a rosewood fretboard and same setup as the fender. The fender is the EXACT SAME except for a mapple neck and fender pickups
i say go for G and L.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by SPAZ64
I'm basically set down to one G & L, its a cherry red ASAT (comparable to the standard tele same price) and has a rosewood fretboard and same setup as the fender. The fender is the EXACT SAME except for a mapple neck and fender pickups

my asat tribute
I would go with the g&l but I've never really liked any fenders iv played.
I would try a classic vibe or vintage modified squire over a mim fender any day of the week.

If you played both the g&l and the mim "7 or 8 times each" why are you asking other posters which is better? You played them. You should know. Buy a guitar cause it feels right to you. Not because someone on a UG forum told you to.
If you honestly like both of them exactly the same, then I say go with Fender (for no other reason than the fact that the headstock looks better)
I, personally, really dig ASATs, but you'd probably have better luck selling a Fender than a G&L if you decide to get rid of it.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by SPAZ64
I have played both at least 7 or eight times and cannot choose, bot h sound great and look awesome. This is like saying "Choose a color" and they are just slightly different shades. I just want an overall opinion and this is killing me. Also, the fender I played has a very nice quality thoguh its a MIM.

in the end our opinions are just that, an opinion. you are the one that has to live with the choice. go back and play them again then go with your gut. if it comes down to the fingerboard then figure out what you like better and go with that.
MIM is very well made. Don't let the fact that it's not an American made one sway you. I bought one and it needed no work for setup compared to models I have that are over twice the price. Get the MIM, you won't be disappointed and the comment that it will sell better is true if you decide to get rid of it later.
Quote by Smigzy
I would try a classic vibe or vintage modified squire over a mim fender any day of the week.

+3,1415

I've been GAS'ing for a Butterscotch Blonde Classic Vibe '50s Squier Telecaster for years. They're amazing guitars, and great value for money.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
At this point, I think your best bet is to take some time at the store to really give both of them a good in depth play-and-compare. Perhaps take a small note pad with you and keep a running pros/cons list for both guitars.

The great part about this whole situation is there is no wrong choice. Give both another play, and make your decision based on what feels and sounds better to you.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Were you guys waiting for me?

Pick the Tribute G&L over the mexican Telecaster every day, all day.

The Tributes are made in the Cor-tek factory, where many of the custom Cort guitars are made (ask a bassist about Cort import quality, you'll get good results). That means one of a couple things;

1. Woods that are almost if not on part with the quality that you'll find out of mid-tier Japanese companies.

2. Quality control way beyond that of the Mexican factories.

Every Tribute series guitar leaves that Cor-tek factory PLEK'D. A PLEK is a machine that with computer precision levels your frets. It's awesome. I've owned 3 ASATS a, Legacy, and an SC-2. I'm quite familiar with the line. All but one has been Tribute and I'd choose them over a MIM Standard without hesitation.

Another point of discussion; the pickups and hardware. Every Tribute G&L comes with the very same MFD and Alnico pickups and hardware in them that also go into the USA G&L's. Awesome stuff.

As I've said before, the Tribute Series and Fender Mexico aren't directly comparable. The Tribute Series is more on par with Fender Japan. For the same price, it's a no brainer.

Quote by 757ian123
If you honestly like both of them exactly the same, then I say go with Fender (for no other reason than the fact that the headstock looks better)

You're crazy. That G&L headstock is gorgeous!

Quote by BledGhostWhite
I, personally, really dig ASATs, but you'd probably have better luck selling a Fender than a G&L if you decide to get rid of it.

I've sold 3 G&L's. They're much easier to get rid of, actually.

Quote by Vblue
MIM is very well made. Don't let the fact that it's not an American made one sway you. I bought one and it needed no work for setup compared to models I have that are over twice the price. Get the MIM, you won't be disappointed and the comment that it will sell better is true if you decide to get rid of it later.

American is so much better than MIM. I don't know what you're on about.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 6, 2014,
I disagree. Until I joined forums I had no clue what a G&L even was. Everybody knows a Fender Telecaster. Therefore, it would be much easier to re-sell. And I don't know about Tele's but with Strat's the differences between MIM and MIA are extremely small aside from the pickups. I find that most people who hate on MIM's are making that judgement based on the older models, they have really come a long way in the past couple of years.
I work at a guitar shop with multiple MIA and MIM Fenders. I've owned 5 G&Ls. I make a living out of selling them. Trust me, when I say that G&L sells easier, I say it with the utmost confidence; especially on the used market.

And the difference in an MIM and MIA are much more than just the pickups, but I really don't want to have that discussion again.
Quote by JustRooster
I work at a guitar shop with multiple MIA and MIM Fenders. I've owned 5 G&Ls. I make a living out of selling them. Trust me, when I say that G&L sells easier, I say it with the utmost confidence; especially on the used market.

And the difference in an MIM and MIA are much more than just the pickups, but I really don't want to have that discussion again.

Could you perhaps supply a link to where you've discussed that before? I'm interested.
There are other differences, but aside from the pickups none of them really matter as far as the actual sound of the guitar.
Quote by 757ian123
There are other differences, but aside from the pickups none of them really matter as far as the actual sound of the guitar.

No. Just no.

Here's some info I poached from another forum.

Standard Series (Mexico)
Body: 5 to 7-piece alder with maple or birch veneer. Sunburst models have maple veneer Note: due to periodic material availability issues, alder cores are sometimes used

American Series (U.S)
Body: Current specs: 3-piece alder for solid colours and 3-tone sunburst. White blonde and natural are 2 or 3-piece ash (Non-Veneered)

Standard Series
Body Routing: 1-humbucking, 2-single coil
American Series
Body Routing: Current specs: 3-cavity universal rout(hum/sing/hum). Older models have the "swimming pool" rout

Standard Series
Body Finish: Polyester (finished in Mexico)
American Series
Body Finish: Polyurethane (finished in USA)

Standard Series
Neck: 1-piece maple milled in the Corona plant
American Series
Neck: 1-piece maple milled in the Corona plant

Standard Series
Truss Rod: Standard headstock adjust (single rod).Relies on string tension for concave adjustment
American Series
Truss Rod: Bi-Flex headstock adjust. Allows for true concave and convex adjustment

Standard Series
Neck Finish: Polyurethane
American Series
Neck Finish: Polyurethane

Standard Series
Frets: 21 standard frets (small)
American Series
Frets: 22 highly detailed Medium Jumbo frets

Standard Series
Machine Heads: Imported cast/sealed
American Series
Machine Heads: Fender/Schaller cast/sealed

Standard Series
Logo: Silver transition logo
American Series
Logo: Vintage spaghetti logo

Standard Series
String Tree: 1-standard butterfly
American Series
String Tree: 1-hardened steel "Easy Glider." Reduces friction thus improving tuning stability.

Standard Series
Neck Attachment: Standard 4-bolt
American Series
Neck Attachment: 4-bolt "Micro-Tilt." Allows instant string "action" adjustments

Standard Series
Pickups: MIM standard single coils with slug pole-pieces and ceramic magnet on bottom of coil. Mid pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity Pickups:
American Series
Pickups: MIA single coils with alnico magnets. Middle pickup is reverse wound/reverse polarity

Standard Series
Electronics: CTS Pots, Grigsby switch
American Series
Electronics: CTS Pots, Grigsby switch

Standard Series
Wiring: Original (no tone control for bridge pickup)
American Series
Wiring: "No Load" tone control on Bridge & Mid pickup. Standard 250k tone control (neck pickup)

Standard Series
Bridge: Imported standard Synchronized tremolo. 6-mounting screws; stamped saddles
American Series
Bridge: MIA 2-Point Synchronized tremolo –mounting screws; hardened stainless steel saddles.

Standard Series
Strap Buttons: Vintage style
American Series
Strap Buttons: Schaller straplock ready (straplocks & embroidered strap included)

Standard Series
Case: Optional SKB molded case (guitar can be ordered with case)
American Series
Case: SKB standard molded case

Standard Series
Assembly/Tune/Test: Mexico
American Series
Assembly/Tune/Test: U.S.A.

Now, granted there are a number of MIM and MIA models and they all vary. I also think this list might be a little old, and there could have been some changes made since. Still, it illustrates the difference between the two.

I own and American Special Strat and an MIM Strat. The MIM isn't bad by any means, but the American is a better guitar. I'm actually overdue on posting a NGD for the MIM. I think I'm going to add a good comparison between the two because there's plenty debate on the topic.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
The G&L will have better electronics than the MiM Fender.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
We can debate the MIM vs. MIA thing all day (and plenty of people do) but what it comes down to is that, on paper there are many differences, but when actually playing them they are damn close to one another. If you don't agree that's fine, but that is my experience and many MIM owners will agree. The really just aren't as different as people want to think.
Quote by 757ian123
We can debate the MIM vs. MIA thing all day (and plenty of people do) but what it comes down to is that, on paper there are many differences, but when actually playing them they are damn close to one another. If you don't agree that's fine, but that is my experience and many MIM owners will agree. The really just aren't as different as people want to think.

That's not true, either. It's my experience as a life-long Strat owner and a guy who works on Strats daily that you should stop littering your anecdotes around as facts.
I don't doubt for a second that to a guy who works on Strat's daily the differences are probably much more noticeable. But as a player, they are very close.

I tried really hard to make myself want an MIA, but it just didn't seem any better than my MIM so I couldn't justify spending the money
Quote by JustRooster
stuff

everything he said.
Quote by sjones
No. Just no.

Here's some info I poached from another forum.

*info*

My 2006 M.I.I. Squier Affinity Strat has a 2-piece alder body with 3-cavity universal routing (H-S-H) and polyurethane finish. So, it's pretty much the same as a Fender MIA body.

Nice.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Feb 8, 2014,
Quote by 757ian123
I don't doubt for a second that to a guy who works on Strat's daily the differences are probably much more noticeable. But as a player, they are very close.

I tried really hard to make myself want an MIA, but it just didn't seem any better than my MIM so I couldn't justify spending the money

well don't you think the guy who has that experience has a better understanding than a guy who has tried out a few guitars in a music store. over the long haul the differences would become more apparent and the little things you notice would start to add up. have both and while my MIM (with a bunch of mods) makes an excellent back up to my strat + it can't truly replace it. just saying.
Quote by Linkerman
My 2006 M.I.I. Squier Affinity Strat has a 2-piece alder body with 3-cavity universal routing (H-S-H) and polyurethane finish. So, it's pretty much the same as a Fender MIA body.)

yes, they are shaped similarly.
Right now they have a deal on the G&L ASAT at MF for $299 you can't get them used for that. It is only the solid black but still
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate