Are these two amps of the same basic quality and functional levels? For a beginner just starting out would it make a difference between the two? I am thinking about the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 or the Fender Mustang 2 v.2.

Thanks!
I've never played either but the answer is simple, vyper for metal, mustang for cleans (and vox vt for mid gain).

Another option is an amp modelling multifx (I use a zoom g3, its an excellent practice gadget) with a powered speaker. As you grow, both will always be useful.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 6, 2014,
Do you or do you plan to play bass guitar as well?

What bands have a sound you'd like to get close to?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do you or do you plan to play bass guitar as well?

What bands have a sound you'd like to get close to?

thats another thing we will need to ask if MFX amps are in question. good thinking.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
No to the bass for the foreseeable future.

I would like to be able to play classic rock, such as The Guess Who, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. Among others.

I also like the sounds of classic hard rock/metal, such as AC/DC, Metallica, and Black Sabbath. Among others.
Personally I think the Vypyrs and the VIPs are the best entry modelers you can buy, from a tonal, feature, and feel standpoint. I know a lot of people disagree, and a lot of people say different modelers are better for different levels of gain.

I disagree, and I urge you to check out the amps you're looking at extensively on Youtube to form your opinions.

That said, the Vypyr VIP has a more balanced focus, with more emphasis on mid gain and breakup and dynamics than the original Vypyr. Out of the two series, the VIP is the way you want to go for what you want to play.

Although I know they sound good enough, I cannot give a recommendation for any Mustang below the Mustang III, because the smaller ones don't have mid knobs on the amp. This is a feature I find vitally important, especially in an entry amp to someone who may be just learning about everything. I think it was a very foolish move not to include it on the smaller amps, the ones that will be selling the most.

A lot of people try and claim to shoehorn the Vypyrs into a metal emphasis amp. I guess because it's made by Peavey and because of the way it looks. I have owned 4 different Vypyrs, and I disagree. I have never been able to find any sound that I can't get out of them. Whereas a lot of other modelers actually can't do the modern high gain.

The Vypyrs are special among the modelers, because they are the only ones, as far as I know (not sure about the Vox VTs) that are actually analog amps, not digital amps. The effects inside of the Vypyr are all digitally modeled, but the actual signal path through the amp is not. This means that it will have much better dynamics, and it can take pedals in front of it. Digital modelers pretty much take anything you feed into it and just convert it into what it's supposed to be. You can't really modify your sound very well at all via methods outside of the amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Have you considered the line 6 spider 4? You can find a beginner guitarist pack featuring this amp online for roughly $100.
Quote by Offworld92
Personally I think the Vypyrs and the VIPs are the best entry modelers you can buy, from a tonal, feature, and feel standpoint. I know a lot of people disagree, and a lot of people say different modelers are better for different levels of gain.

I disagree, and I urge you to check out the amps you're looking at extensively on Youtube to form your opinions.

That said, the Vypyr VIP has a more balanced focus, with more emphasis on mid gain and breakup and dynamics than the original Vypyr. Out of the two series, the VIP is the way you want to go for what you want to play.

Although I know they sound good enough, I cannot give a recommendation for any Mustang below the Mustang III, because the smaller ones don't have mid knobs on the amp. This is a feature I find vitally important, especially in an entry amp to someone who may be just learning about everything. I think it was a very foolish move not to include it on the smaller amps, the ones that will be selling the most.

A lot of people try and claim to shoehorn the Vypyrs into a metal emphasis amp. I guess because it's made by Peavey and because of the way it looks. I have owned 4 different Vypyrs, and I disagree. I have never been able to find any sound that I can't get out of them. Whereas a lot of other modelers actually can't do the modern high gain.

The Vypyrs are special among the modelers, because they are the only ones, as far as I know (not sure about the Vox VTs) that are actually analog amps, not digital amps. The effects inside of the Vypyr are all digitally modeled, but the actual signal path through the amp is not. This means that it will have much better dynamics, and it can take pedals in front of it. Digital modelers pretty much take anything you feed into it and just convert it into what it's supposed to be. You can't really modify your sound very well at all via methods outside of the amp.

Thank you very much for your response. I was particularly intrigued by your comments regarding the acceptance of pedals. I had not thought of that, ebing new, but I imagine it is something to think more about as I get going. I did not like the fact that the Mustang did not include the Mid knowb. I would not even know what to do with it at this point, but I certainly like more options versus less without having to edit the settings in the software.

Will I be wanting a new/better amp by the time I will notice the difference between the 8 inch and 12 inch speaker?
Quote by elihoo49
Have you considered the line 6 spider 4? You can find a beginner guitarist pack featuring this amp online for roughly $100.

Most of the things that I have read online do not seem to speak highly of the low end line 6 vs the Mustang or Vypyr.
Quote by elihoo49

r u srs
ayy lmao
Quote by Offworld92

This is basically everything that I was going to say, already typed out for me. I really like the mid gain and cleans on the Fender, but no more than the Peavey, and if you're going to venture into metal, the Peavey wins hands down.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Noobur

Will I be wanting a new/better amp by the time I will notice the difference between the 8 inch and 12 inch speaker?

I would say yes.

I say it like this: 8" vs 12" seperates the practice/backup amps and the toys. You can get an entry level amp with a 12" speaker, and you can grow out of it and want something better, but still keep it as a backup, as something to throw in the trunk and take somewhere, whatever. An amp with an 8" speaker isn't really even good for that, they generally just can't keep up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have played on both extensively and I think that the fender Mustang is way better for any genre. The Line 6 spider isn't a bad choice for an entry level modeling amp. Have you ever thought of looking at those? You can also find them really cheap used because they are everywhere.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by Offworld92

You CAN adjust the mids on the Mustang I & II

Fender did a firmware update a long time ago (maybe 2 years ago) to the amp that lets you adjust the mids on the amp. You just hold down the exit button and adjust the treble knob and that adjusts the mids. Why they didn't make the amp with a mids knob to begin with is beyond me. But at least they did make it to where you can adjust the mids on the amp. If they did the update to the V.1 models I'm sure they did it for the V.2.

I explained this to you in the past and I guess you didn't read it or just ignored it. So maybe you can stop telling people they can't adjust mids on the Mustang I and II, just because they don't have a physical knob. Because nowadays it's just false information.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
You CAN adjust the mids on the Mustang I & II

Fender did a firmware update a long time ago (maybe 2 years ago) to the amp that lets you adjust the mids on the amp. You just hold down the exit button and adjust the treble knob and that adjusts the mids. Why they didn't make the amp with a mids knob to begin with is beyond me. But at least they did make it to where you can adjust the mids on the amp. If they did the update to the V.1 models I'm sure they did it for the V.2.

I explained this to you in the past and I guess you didn't read it or just ignored it. So maybe you can stop telling people they can't adjust mids on the Mustang I and II, just because they don't have a physical knob. Because nowadays it's just false information.

I remember reading that you could edit them via the software. I have no recollection of reading anything about this firmware update. Thank you, that is very good to know.

Still sadly counter-intuitive for absolute beginners though. Hopefully the feature is well advertised.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Mustang 1 and VIP 2. The peavey is 100% better in my opinion. The software for peavey does not work for mac so I cant run it. And the fender software is crappy in my opinion. The mustang lacks alot of control (theres not even a mid knob!). I wouldnt even think of needing software for my VIP because i can do everything i need on the amp. The mustang is nothing compared to the peavey. For cleans they are equal, for overdrive and metal NOTHING CLOSE!!! VIP blows the fender away!

just my opinion though. Hope it helps
Quote by Offworld92
I remember reading that you could edit them via the software. I have no recollection of reading anything about this firmware update. Thank you, that is very good to know.

Still sadly counter-intuitive for absolute beginners though. Hopefully the feature is well advertised.

I dug up the update patches at Fender. It was 1.10 where they added the Mids function to be able to adjust them on the amp itself. Here is the link for you don't think I'm crazy. lol

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/updating-firmware-on-fender-mustang-i-v-amplifiers/

Quote by sikorad15
I have a Mustang 1 and VIP 2. The peavey is 100% better in my opinion. The software for peavey does not work for mac so I cant run it. And the fender software is crappy in my opinion. The mustang lacks alot of control (theres not even a mid knob!). I wouldnt even think of needing software for my VIP because i can do everything i need on the amp. The mustang is nothing compared to the peavey. For cleans they are equal, for overdrive and metal NOTHING CLOSE!!! VIP blows the fender away!

just my opinion though. Hope it helps

You can adjust the mids on the Mustang as long as you have the Firmware updated. I would think the newer v.2 already does it from the factory. You can find the update in this post right above if you haven't updated it yet. And if you have the newer v.2 version then it should already do it.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I dug up the update patches at Fender. It was 1.10 where they added the Mids function to be able to adjust them on the amp itself. Here is the link for you don't think I'm crazy. lol

http://www.fender.com/support/articles/updating-firmware-on-fender-mustang-i-v-amplifiers/

No no, I believed you.

I hate the spread of misinformation and I never intend to, so I'm glad you chimed in there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
No no, I believed you.

I hate the spread of misinformation and I never intend to, so I'm glad you chimed in there.

That's cool man.

When an amp doesn't have a Mid knob people are naturally going to assume you cant adjust them. I don't really know if Fender makes it known or not nowadays. I bought my Mustang when they first came out before they had the function. So I don't know if they have it in the newer owners manuals or not. Or if they rely on word of mouth from their users. I would hope they at least make it known for the newer v.2 models.