Yep need some ever helpful UG advice once again.

I live in Helena, MT with only one music store in a 100 mile radius. Not much for selection so it's hard to try anything out before I buy.

I'm looking for a solid-state combo amp with up to 40 watts. I play mainly punk rock and metal but play a lot of other stuff as well, so versatility would be nice.

This is going to be for home use so I don't need anything super loud (although I do occasionally like to crank it up).

My budget is $200 US and it doesn't matter to me whether I buy new or used.

Currently I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul w/ Dirty Fingers bridge pu through a Roland Cube 20x. The Roland is ok for what I need but isn't the best sounding imo. I'd also like to have more than 2 foot-switchable channels. I want to be able to switch from sparkling clean to slightly overdriven to rock distortion to total metal if possible.

So, what should I be looking at?
the first step to failure is trying.
maybe a Randall RG100ES? (i have owned two and sold both, but i like the amps).

the heads for maybe $120-$150 but you would still need a cab. at your budget really anything that will stand up straight and make should do you alright. some of the heads need work though and it may not be advertised, if you can't see i t in person it is questionable maybe ask them to take a short video?

it does do a lot more than the typical "Dime" tone, its just how you dial it in.

i understand the lack of funds, but unfortunately you are at a bad spot.

i would search around the used section from GC (guitar center)

good luck. i am around here all the time so i am sure you will bump into me again.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
also if combo the peavey bandit series are bulletproof and cheap. but you may do better with ^
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If it doesn't necessarily have to be a solid state amp, save up a bit more and get a used vypyr tube 60.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^If at all possible this would be your best bet. HUGE improvement in tone, for about $50 more.

If not, take a look at the original Vypyr solid states. Mine has served me well.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Look for a used Vox Valvetronix. I've never played a tube Vyper, but the VT series is the best modeler amp I've played. I used an 80+ with a band for practice, and it held it's own. They sound pretty damn good.
Hey HarmOn20,

You may be one of the oldest UG join dates I've ever seen. How you do?

Quote by Spambot_2
If it doesn't necessarily have to be a solid state amp, save up a bit more and get a used vypyr tube 60.

+1

Vypry Tube 60 is what I'd shoot for. You can find them used starting at $250. I love mine
Not interested in dealing with tube amps anymore. They really only sound good when cranked and I just can't play that loud anymore. Also, I really don't like dealing with tubes and letting the amp warm up etc. I want to just be able to switch the thing on, have it sound like its going to sound at any volume, and not have to worry about a damn thing on it.
the first step to failure is trying.