I bought a set of Beefy Slinkys a month ago, and love them, but the high E (.11) broke after a week. After waiting a while to get a replacement (needed a colbat string for a friends, so had to import) the high snapped after 2 hours of use, while downtuning. Anyone know how this happens, and how to avoid it? Really agnry at it right know.
It sounds like there might be a snag, or sharp point, on your bridge that's causing string breakage. I'm assuming the strings likely broke in the same spot?

What kind of guitar is it?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
It sounds like there might be a snag, or sharp point, on your bridge that's causing string breakage. I'm assuming the strings likely broke in the same spot?

What kind of guitar is it?

Epiphone SG G-400

Snapped at the tuning peg both times
Last edited by auzzietaco at Feb 6, 2014,
Give the offending tuning peg a good inspection. Run your finger around the holes to see if you can feel any short of sharp edge. If that doesn't help you discover the problem point, maybe try taking a piece of string and run it around the holes.

If you find the problem, you can try to sand it to smooth it out. With any repair, if you're not comfortable doing it, take it to a guitar tech.

Another option you have is to buy new tuning machines.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
As everyone above said, it's either a bad machine or bad stringing technique.
I've seen loads of people say that Ernie Balls snap easily, but I've never snapped a single one in 5 years. These people must hit strings REALLY hard.
Does this happen often, and more importantly, does it always break at the same place? I broke a new top E string just the other night but that's not uncommon for me, I just reef them off the neck doing big Gary Moore type stretches. Sometimes I get a bit carried away But they break in different spots and different strings so I know it's not the guitar, it's just me.
Doesn't seem to matter what brand of strings they are either, I just overbend the suckas.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification