You'll need an interface to get any kind of quality from a phone. I have an iRig HD which is fantastic for a single guitar. It uses amplitube or similar software, amplitube offers a 4 track recorder on the iphone, and 16 on ipad that can be used to multitrack, however, you can not record to multiple tracks at the same time (only one input).
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
I'm confused... you mention multi-track recording, but then talk about it being on a phone?

Either you could, I suppose, record things individually and then import the individual files into a computer DAW and mix them in there; or you could record the whole thing in one take positioning yourselves around the phone to suit it best.

Either way though, all tracks will be mono regardless of how you do it, so you aren't multi-track recording on the phone, but with the first method you can make a multi-track recording with basic software.

I'm not aware of any phones with a stereo mic configuration, and I don't know of any apps for the iPad or iPhone that allow multi-track recording, although there's a few that will allow you to make several tracks and mix them (Garageband iOS for example, or whatever that version is called).

To be honest though, even though smartphones are coming along fast I still doubt any current-gen ones could handle simultaneous multi-track recordings with any acceptable quality or fidelity
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I'm confused... you mention multi-track recording, but then talk about it being on a phone?

Either you could, I suppose, record things individually and then import the individual files into a computer DAW and mix them in there; or you could record the whole thing in one take positioning yourselves around the phone to suit it best.

Either way though, all tracks will be mono regardless of how you do it, so you aren't multi-track recording on the phone, but with the first method you can make a multi-track recording with basic software.

I'm not aware of any phones with a stereo mic configuration, and I don't know of any apps for the iPad or iPhone that allow multi-track recording, although there's a few that will allow you to make several tracks and mix them (Garageband iOS for example, or whatever that version is called).

To be honest though, even though smartphones are coming along fast I still doubt any current-gen ones could handle simultaneous multi-track recordings with any acceptable quality or fidelity

There are DAWs for iOS/Android, including GarageBand. FL Studio just released a mobile version. Don't know how they stack up against PC-based DAWs, though.
Yeah, but they don't allow simultaneous recording, do they? And the phones don't have stereo mics, either right?

Maybe they do, not something I've looked into I just can't imagine it yet. Prove me wrong, young padawan
^ I think cell phones with stereo mics exist :P

Anyway you may wanna get an interface that works with phones.
eXtream softwares developed/is developing something working with android I think, and there are a shitload of interfaces working with iStuff, like focusrite's last interface and their iTrack and iRig stuff...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yeah, but they don't allow simultaneous recording, do they? And the phones don't have stereo mics, either right?

Maybe they do, not something I've looked into I just can't imagine it yet. Prove me wrong, young padawan

I found an app that does allow simultaneous recording but the shit sucks. My phone def does not have a stereo mic, I believe it is just mono. I'm using a HTC ONE
If you come to Cali, enjoy the weed!
Quote by jb_designs
You'll need an interface to get any kind of quality from a phone. I have an iRig HD which is fantastic for a single guitar. It uses amplitube or similar software, amplitube offers a 4 track recorder on the iphone, and 16 on ipad that can be used to multitrack, however, you can not record to multiple tracks at the same time (only one input).

Now with the iRig, does that go to the computer as well?
And would anyone have suggestions about recording vocals? If i record to close, it sounds like im on the phone, and if too far away, it sounds like im in the Taj Mahal haha
Quote by victor420
Now with the iRig, does that go to the computer as well?

If you have a computer, why would you want to use your phone for recording?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by victor420
I'm using a HTC ONE

Ah, this is a problem for what you're trying to do. The Android operating system doesn't deal with audio as well as iOS does.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by GaryBillington
If you have a computer, why would you want to use your phone for recording?

My computer is old, like 2001 old. I just updated to XP haha
Quote by ChemicalFire
Ah, this is a problem for what you're trying to do. The Android operating system doesn't deal with audio as well as iOS does.

Thank you, this is the answer Ive been waiting for. I had questioned it becuase I had an Iphone last year, and obviously the sound was a whole ton better. Any ideas on how to improve it?
Well, you can't really upgrade your phone too easily to improve the sound; if you want something small and portable you can just leave in the centre of the room and press one button to record your rehearsal/demo new song ideas with, your best bet is probably a dictaphone/handheld recorder.

There are lots to choose from, at various prices, and many these days have a stereo mic configuration and come with attachments to clip them to mic stands so they aren't left vulnerable on the ground, picking up extra bass vibrations etc.
I honestly don't know that recording with a phone is going to result in good quality recordings. If you just want to record riffs/licks/whatever, in order to remember them...then by all means, use your phone. If you want good quality recordings, you probably need to use an interface->PC setup.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Well, you can't really upgrade your phone too easily to improve the sound; if you want something small and portable you can just leave in the centre of the room and press one button to record your rehearsal/demo new song ideas with, your best bet is probably a dictaphone/handheld recorder.

There are lots to choose from, at various prices, and many these days have a stereo mic configuration and come with attachments to clip them to mic stands so they aren't left vulnerable on the ground, picking up extra bass vibrations etc.

Thanks DisarmGoliath, youve been very informative.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I honestly don't know that recording with a phone is going to result in good quality recordings. If you just want to record riffs/licks/whatever, in order to remember them...then by all means, use your phone. If you want good quality recordings, you probably need to use an interface->PC setup.

I typically record riffs and licks through the phone, Ive just been trying to eliminate having to buy hella equipment, and i wouldnt feel right pirating a good interface.
Quote by victor420
I typically record riffs and licks through the phone, Ive just been trying to eliminate having to buy hella equipment, and i wouldnt feel right pirating a good interface.

Well...your best bet, if price is an issue to do the following:
1) buy a Guitar Link recording interface for $10-15
2) buy Reaper for $60 (at $60, it is the Cheapest DAW available)
3) Get to recording
I think he's trying to record his whole band though, at rehearsal, Sam. I might be getting the wrong udea, but that's what I picked up in the thread
He's new, I think we can let that slip as he has good intentions (e.g. anti-piracy)
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I think he's trying to record his whole band though, at rehearsal, Sam. I might be getting the wrong udea, but that's what I picked up in the thread

Well...I suppose he could do that with a well-placed (good quality) mic or two, an interface like the Saffire 6 (or better), and any DAW. Still, we're talking a couple hundred dollars, minimum. It just seems to me that, recording with actual recording gear (as opposed to a phone that wasn't originally designed for that) would work out better.
It would work out better, if his aim is to get a decent recording for commercial release or as a demo to prospective labels and management etc. If he just wants to get a quick progress check on how rehearsals are going or to get a quick example of their new song so they can listen and not forget it, this method is far cheaper and better-suited than lugging a load of gear and your personal computer to and from your rehearsal space, just to record a few minutes of audio
Quote by DisarmGoliath
It would work out better, if his aim is to get a decent recording for commercial release or as a demo to prospective labels and management etc. If he just wants to get a quick progress check on how rehearsals are going or to get a quick example of their new song so they can listen and not forget it, this method is far cheaper and better-suited than lugging a load of gear and your personal computer to and from your rehearsal space, just to record a few minutes of audio

thanks a bunch DisarmGoliath
Zoom do several standalone audio recording devices with stereo microphones that have a decent frequency response and handle loud well. It's not going to produce a top quality recording, but it's actually pretty listenable in terms of budget knocked-together demo material or listening to your rehearsals back etc.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan