So, here we go again with another amp thread... I made a life decision today i'm going to buy myself a Marshall. Well I don't know which one, because its the same amp just one has more wattage than the other (50w vs 100w) I play in my room 60% of the time but i also need more power for a Metal Rehearsal or a small gig. Will 50 watts be enough? (My drummer is Insane)
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Does it have to be the JVM?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Does it have to be the JVM?

Well, I like JVM's
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by JackovSlayer
Odakle si?

I am from Croatia
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
50 watts will be plenty for any drummer.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by MatejSJ
So, here we go again with another amp thread... I made a life decision today i'm going to buy myself a Marshall. Well I don't know which one, because its the same amp just one has more wattage than the other (50w vs 100w) I play in my room 60% of the time but i also need more power for a Metal Rehearsal or a small gig. Will 50 watts be enough? (My drummer is Insane)

50 is enough, so whichever you can get the best deal on. Sidenote, I have the 410 and I must say it sounds pretty good even at bedroom volumes. Like the others have asked though, why the JVM? It isn't really an amp made for the bedroom...
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
50 is enough, so whichever you can get the best deal on. Sidenote, I have the 410 and I must say it sounds pretty good even at bedroom volumes. Like the others have asked though, why the JVM? It isn't really an amp made for the bedroom...

Because he'll also be gigging with it.
50W is enough. 20W is enough.

Loudness isn't the issue, if that's what you're asking.

The power section is all about breakup and feel. The more wattage you have, the more control you have over your breakup. Do you want pristine cleans at drummer volumes? Get a 100W. Are you trying to get power amp saturation and don't need or want cleans? Get 20W. Want cleans but don't mind if they start to break up a little at high volumes? There's your 50W.

That's painfully simple, as every amp is different. But it's a general ish rule of thumb. You have to play the amp to really get a feel for its power section. Watching tons and tons of Youtube videos can help you figure it out mostly too, if your ear is good and you know what to listen for. But it's hard, because you don't know what they're going to play or how they're going to run the amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
50W is enough. 20W is enough.

Loudness isn't the issue, if that's what you're asking.

The power section is all about breakup and feel. The more wattage you have, the more control you have over your breakup. Do you want pristine cleans at drummer volumes? Get a 100W. Are you trying to get power amp saturation and don't need or want cleans? Get 20W. Want cleans but don't mind if they start to break up a little at high volumes? There's your 50W.

That's painfully simple, as every amp is different. But it's a general ish rule of thumb. You have to play the amp to really get a feel for its power section. Watching tons and tons of Youtube videos can help you figure it out mostly too, if your ear is good and you know what to listen for. But it's hard, because you don't know what they're going to play or how they're going to run the amp.

Yeah, I know... I am fine with a little bit of a breakup on the clean channel. I played a JVM already.
Guitars:
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by Pandorum