So, I'm getting a Fender MIM Strat from eBay. When I bid for it, I noticed that the listed shipping price was kinda low for shipping a guitar ($42). Now, I have the tracking number (which actually puts the guitar in their facility, so I know it's coming either way) and an invoice from the seller through PayPal for a different shipping price: total $70 (meaning he expects me to pay $28 over the original shipping price), which is a bit more, but not unexpected for shipping a guitar.

Just...this kinda rubs me the wrong way. I mean, he's changing the price outside of the primary transaction (not through eBay, but through PayPal), which I'm pretty sure is against eBay's rules. Not to mention, it's almost 30 stinkin' dollars because of a mistake on his end. On the other hand, the change isn't unreasonable, considering it's a guitar he's shipping.

So, what do you guys think I should do? Anybody else experience something like this?
This is a guitar forum, you need to go to ebay.com for the most accurate advice.

So are you saying that you paid for the item, with the shipping, and then he's sent you another fee for the rest of the shipping that he undercharged you?

**** that. He entered an agreement that he would send the item to you for the price listed on the listing. In the UK that would be a breach of Trading Standard Regulations.

Just don't pay it and see if the item ships, especially as you have the tracking number which suggests that they are ready to ship it.
Wait til the guitar gets to you and if it is to your liking, keep it. Then file with Ebay/Paypal stating the price was raised after you won the auction and you would like it credited back to your Paypal. Shouldn't be hard since the listing purchase price would be different then what he really charged you. Good luck.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Report him to ebay. If he advertises a shipping price, he can't just change it later.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Contact Paypal right away and dispute that second invoice. It's not your fault the seller didn't calculate the shipping price properly.

Treat the second invoice separately from the first. Make it clear to the seller that you won't pay it, and then if the seller will not ship the guitar, open a dispute on the first transaction for goods not delivered. Worst case, Paypal will refund all your money and you can start again with a new seller. More likely, Paypal will force the seller (by threatening to freeze their account) to deliver the guitar for what you agreed to pay originally.

You're holding all the cards here, don't pay a dollar more than your eBay bid.
Thanks for the responses. At this point, I've only paid the original eBay listed price. I have a PayPal invoice asking that I pay an additional $28, but I haven't paid it because it smelled funny, ya know? I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so.

Quote by Roc8995
Contact Paypal right away and dispute that second invoice. It's not your fault the seller didn't calculate the shipping price properly.

Treat the second invoice separately from the first. Make it clear to the seller that you won't pay it, and then if the seller will not ship the guitar, open a dispute on the first transaction for goods not delivered. Worst case, Paypal will refund all your money and you can start again with a new seller. More likely, Paypal will force the seller (by threatening to freeze their account) to deliver the guitar for what you agreed to pay originally.

You're holding all the cards here, don't pay a dollar more than your eBay bid.

Thanks for the advice. I think that's exactly what I'll do.

Quote by Mephaphil
This is a guitar forum, you need to go to ebay.com for the most accurate advice.

Yeah, I know. Ebay's "community" forum is a bit intimidating to me since it doesn't really look or act like a forum. Either way, the community here is great because they gave me the answers I needed to make an informed decision.

Thanks everybody!
Oh I thought you already paid the full amount because he shipped it. Yeah if he sent you an invoice after the fact, I wouldn't pay it. There's really nothing he can do since he listed the shipping price in the auction.
[..BLACKFIRE..]