Hello,
I've got a fender mustang I 20w SS amp and I was wondering if changing the speaker would improve the sound quality. Is it difficult? How much does it cost?
Thanks
It costs nothing, you shouldn't pay anyone to change a speaker for you. You open up the amp with a standard Philips screwdriver, then you unscrew the speaker and put the new one in. The contacts just slide on, and there are only two. It's basically impossible to get wrong.

I think the bigger problem here is that a good quality speaker will probably cost more than the upgrade is worth to your amp. You'd probably be better off saving your money for an amp upgrade down the line.
mhmm let's see. What are some good speakers? I play high gain metal most of the time
Quote by Jayerrr
I've got a fender mustang I 20w SS amp and I was wondering if changing the speaker would improve the sound quality.

Not likely. The real problem with the sound of that amp is the small speaker and boxy little cabinet trying to emulate the sound of big speakers in big cabinets. You’d be better off to save up for a new amp.
Quote by Roc8995
(a) It costs nothing, you shouldn't pay anyone to change a speaker for you. You open up the amp with a standard Philips screwdriver, then you unscrew the speaker and put the new one in. The contacts just slide on, and there are only two. It's basically impossible to get wrong.

(b) I think the bigger problem here is that a good quality speaker will probably cost more than the upgrade is worth to your amp. You'd probably be better off saving your money for an amp upgrade down the line.

(a) I dunno about that, you haven't seen me

But I agree, if you take lots of pics and/or make notes before you start, and take it slowly and methodically it should be reasonably easy.

(b) agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not necessarily the right answer, though

but actually the biggest problem with swapping a speaker is that the back can sometimes get stuck. a thin chisel or putty knife or something like that can be used to pry it off (but be careful you don't wreck the tolex of the amp, if it comes out with just hand force that's a better way to do it).

or sometimes the little spade connectors on the speaker get stuck if they're put on too tight. pliers normally help in that situation (but again try it with your fingers first, if they just slip off that's much handier and much less chance of doing any harm).

But yeah as long as you make a note of where everything goes and take care to put all the wires to the right places, it's pretty simple, even for someone who's DIY-challenged like me.

As we've all said, though, it's debatable if it's worth it with a cheaper amp. Especially when it has a small speaker, since a bigger speaker would help more, plus you have very little choice when it comes to upgrade 8" speakers anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not familiar with mustang amps, but I believe they emulate other amps. If that's the case then they don't use regular guitars speakers, but use speakers that don't color the sound like those in hifi stereos. For these type of amps, it may be better to buy a new amp than changing speakers.