Hey guys, when I first bought my guitar, the people at the shop recommended I buy a Humidipak set with it to keep my guitar from drying up. The first set of paks lasted a couple of months before becoming grainy and solid. After they died, I bought another set of paks. It's been about 3 weeks and they are already turning grainy. Why is it happening so early? I have one of those hard soft shell cases and to be fair it is quite dry in my house but I keep the guitar in the case when I'm not playing it. It's a Taylor if that matters. Any help appreciated.
I'm guessing it's most likely the winter time depending on the climate you live in or the packs were old?
Quote by babysmasher
I'm guessing it's most likely the winter time depending on the climate you live in or the packs were old?

Yeah it is winter here, but on PlanetWaves website, it said depending on your climate they should last 2-4 months :/. Maybe I got a pack of duds
mine don't last very long either in winter. they are re-hydratable so you need only have 2 sets.
don't throw them away, put them in a rubbermaid container with holes drilled/cut in the top, put that container in a larger one filled 1/4 of the way with water(preferably distilled water). throw the lid on the larger one and presto ! in about the same time it takes the ones in the case to dry out, the others are re-hydrated. i humidipak 6 guitar cases in the winter... just to be safe even though i have 2 humidifiers in my guitar room. if i bought humidipaks for every change, i'd have to sell off one of the guitars to cover the cost !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
mine don't last very long either in winter. they are re-hydratable so you need only have 2 sets.
don't throw them away, put them in a rubbermaid container with holes drilled/cut in the top, put that container in a larger one filled 1/4 of the way with water(preferably distilled water). throw the lid on the larger one and presto ! in about the same time it takes the ones in the case to dry out, the others are re-hydrated. i humidipak 6 guitar cases in the winter... just to be safe even though i have 2 humidifiers in my guitar room. if i bought humidipaks for every change, i'd have to sell off one of the guitars to cover the cost !

Exactly this. My humidipak only lasted about... a month, maybe? It's almost rock solid now. I'm just going to rehydrate them again.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.