Been looking to get some new gear for awhile now been looking at Fender Telecaster and the Fender Jaguars, but the prices are way out of my range are the squires as crap as there made out to be?

My budget is around £250 im not fussy when it comes to used guitars, the reason ive been edging towards fenders is im a big fan of bands like Nirvana, foo fighters and as far as i no fenders are the way to go for playing grunge.

The gear i have now isnt great playing a stagg prs through a shitty Behinger gmx amp, with a Boss Ds1 pedal.
Last edited by the_b1ues at Feb 6, 2014,
IMO Squires are great at the higher end. I think they probably get such a bad reputation because of the amount of beginners that start on the bottom of the range Squires, and the low end ones are pretty bad but no worse than anything else in that price range. For £250 a Squire would do you nicely. Other guitars to consider would be Yamaha Pacifica's and Epiphone models. (I know Epiphone don't make Fender style guitars but I love Epiphone so I always recomend them). Go to a music store and play as many guitars in the price range as possible and buy whatever speaks to you. Just make sure you like the look of the guitar you get, I know that theoretically it doesn't matter but if it doesn't look good you won't want to play it and then it's a waste of money. I'm sorry for such a long reply but I hope it helps.
How can you tell the difference between high end and lower end squires been looking or ebay and gumtree and they all look the same.
Quote by the_b1ues
How can you tell the difference between high end and lower end squires been looking or ebay and gumtree and they all look the same.

models and specs vary by model. Bullet is the lowest, Affinity is mid and the CV are the top end of things. most will recommend the CV line (classic vintage) as they have the highest quality.
Kurt Cobain modded the heck out of his guitar. I doubt you would get his kind of sound on a stock guitar.
The higher end of the Squier line isn't bad, but the assertions that they're somehow superior to the MIM Fender line are just wrong.

If anything, those models are more close to being on par with the MIM line, but not "10 times better", as one person here has claimed.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Yeah iirc both bands had humbuckers in the bridge position. Don't go SSS.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by the_b1ues
So the Mexican standard should like the ideal guitar for me. What is SSS?

Pickup configuration of three single coils in the neck, middle and bridge positions.

SSH is two single coils in the neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge.

and so forth.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Pickup configuration of three single coils in the neck, middle and bridge positions.

SSH is two single coils in the neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge.

and so forth.

Actually, you see the abbreviation HSS used more for a hum-single-single guitar. I guess there's no hard rule for such, but generally the abbreviations go bridge-middle-neck.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
A used MIM Telecaseter sounds perfect for you, TS; and they're fairly common. Ebay and Gumtree have a few around.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by sjones
Actually, you see the abbreviation HSS used more for a hum-single-single guitar. I guess there's no hard rule for such, but generally the abbreviations go bridge-middle-neck.

Yeah. I've heard some people (who may well be right) claiming that "SSH" is actually the more correct way to describe a guitar with a bridge humbucker and two single coils... but in the real world, as you said, most of the time that pickup layout is described as "HSS". I guess it's a bit like calling a vibrato bar a tremolo. It might be wrong but if everyone does it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah you definitely want a guitar with a humbucker in the bridge if you are going for the Nirvana sound.

I think a used MIM Standard is your best bet. I also don't agree that the upper end squires are better than MIM's. They are MAYBE just as good, but no way they're 10 times better.
Back in late 80's I went to a great music store (that no longer exists around me). I had done a good deal of business with them over several years so I had gotten to know a few of the guys who worked there well. I asked what day was their slowest day. They told me Monday especially Monday before noon. I went in on a Monday morning and tasked one of the guys how many Squire Telecasters he had in stock. He said they had about 10. I told him that I would definately be buying a Telecaster that day if he would let me play the two on display and five of them from stock. He got a flat cart and bought out five Squire Telecasters still in the carboard boxes. I wasn't happy with the two on display I found two from the back room that were pretty nice and bought both (I still have tem). My point is the Squire Tele's seem to inconsistant but there are good ones. You just need to keep looking and trying them. You might try just going in and playing as many as you can. You'll probably find a good one.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by darrenram1
Kurt Cobain modded the heck out of his guitar. I doubt you would get his kind of sound on a stock guitar.

Didn't he regularly use a Fender Mustang or Jaguar or both?
Epi G400 '66 Reissue
w/ Airline Vintage Voiced Single Coil Pickups
Early on he used a lot of Stratocasters. He switched to Jaguars and Mustangs later.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. I've heard some people (who may well be right) claiming that "SSH" is actually the more correct way to describe a guitar with a bridge humbucker and two single coils... but in the real world, as you said, most of the time that pickup layout is described as "HSS". I guess it's a bit like calling a vibrato bar a tremolo. It might be wrong but if everyone does it...

oh really
I just name it according to how I would see it when holding it from the neck to the bridge. seemed to make sense at the time
I think the reasoning is that the neck pickup is sometimes called the "front" pickup while the bridge is called the "rear", so it makes sense to start with the neck.

Personally I just call it HSS on account of the fact that virtually everyone else does too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?