I have a potential trade deal on a G&L Legacy Tribute this weekend. I used to own a USA Legacy and I remember liking it a lot, but that was a few guitars ago and for the life of me I can't remember what those pickups sounded like

Right now I'm going for a vintage / Hendrix / Mayer kind of tone. Will the newer stock G&L pickups get me there? Or will they be a little hotter than I'm looking for - maybe closer to something like a set of Texas Specials? I guess what I'm asking is what Fender pickups are the stock G&L's closest to tone-wise and output-wise??

I might end up grabbing the G&L anyway and putting in a set of Custom Shop 69's (which are my favorite Fender pickup). But if the stocker G&L's get me close I might just live with them for a while. Opinions would be much appreciated!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I have P90s on my ASAT and they handle anything from sludge to country to a SRV tone. Their pickups sound fantastic and higher end G&Ls crap on most high end Fenders to boot (imo). Sensitive tone knob, mind. But they're incredibly versatile and something as simple as compensation between pickups + tone knob gives a range of tones that don't come as smoothly to me as with with other guitars.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
they will be the same pu's as your american G&L , they should do what you want , G&L doesn't cheap out on the tributes pick ups
Quote by Fumble fingers
they will be the same pu's as your american G&L , they should do what you want , G&L doesn't cheap out on the tributes pick ups

Yeah but that's the problem, I can't remember what those pickups sounded like, lol. I do remember I put a hotrails in the bridge of my USA Legacy, so I don't think they were super hot pickups to start with. But how do they compare to something like a set of Custom Shop 69's?
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
I've got a G&L legacy. They're very broad and uncompressed, different from your normal strat. They do, though, get somewhat nasally when you roll the volume off; but still have tons of that G&L open 'quack'. Regular sized Strat pups fit them, though. I've been thinking about switching mine. Here's a song I recorded with my Legacy.

https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/hey-joe-cover-actually-sober

My two favorite sets of Strat pickups are the Big Dippers, and the Samarium Cobalts. The Dippers sound great for what you're aiming for.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
I've got a G&L legacy. They're very broad and uncompressed, different from your normal strat. They do, though, get somewhat nasally when you roll the volume off; but still have tons of that G&L open 'quack'. Regular sized Strat pups fit them, though. I've been thinking about switching mine. Here's a song I recorded with my Legacy.

https://soundcloud.com/justrooster/hey-joe-cover-actually-sober

My two favorite sets of Strat pickups are the Big Dippers, and the Samarium Cobalts. The Dippers sound great for what you're aiming for.

Thanks for sharing the tune, sounds good. That kind of rings a bell for how my Legacy sounded. At that time I remember it worked for me, but I wouldn't really call it a vintage kind of tone. I'd love to grab a set of Big Dippers but they're hard to come by, and expensive! I see two loaded Big Dipper pickguards on eBay for about $450 right now
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Yikes! Prices have risen since I first got into them. They used to be exclusive to the John Mayer Strat, IIRC, then they sold as a set for $250 for while.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Yikes! Prices have risen since I first got into them. They used to be exclusive to the John Mayer Strat, IIRC, then they sold as a set for $250 for while.

I could be wrong but I thought they were still only available in the JM Strat. They're out of my price range so it's not worth my time to research them, but I haven't seen them sold individually anywhere (not as a new set). I just see them listed from people who yanked them out of the Mayer Strat.

Anyway, I picked up the Legacy today and I love the feel of it. It has a Seymour Duncan Everything Axe pickup set in it right now so I won't be able to hear the stock pups until I have a chance to tear it apart and swap 'em. But even with the humbuckers in there it's still very bright and spanky. Now I'm second guessing the CS69's because they're on the brighter side. I wonder if I need something a little darker sounding to round out this guitar...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2