So has anyone really played one of these?

I can find all kinds of videos on YouTube of the head+cabinet. But the combo ones are few and far between. I've looked them up on musicians friend and they seem to be pretty favorable reviews.

I enjoy tinkering around so I appreciate that people say try this tube or that tube and you'll get a different sound. Tubes are cheap so buying a few tubes would be no big deal and it actually sounds pretty cool. Idk if I would do anything with the speaker.

The only think that kind of turns me off is that it only has a tone and volume knob with a high/low power switch. I am used to having high, mid, low, gain, volume on any of my amps I've had in the past.

Do you think its possible to dial In some good tone with such limited controls?

I am into grunge, blues, maybe some hard rock...NO metal
I wouldn't bother paying extra for "hand wired", just me. Especially for a practice amp.

You can always use an eq pedal with it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
My understanding is that being hand wired makes it easier to mod. Not necessarily better.

And a practice amp is really all I'm after. I'm a hobbyist and have no intention or desire of ever joining a band or gigging. 240 doesn't really seem to unreasonable.... but idk.

I suppose if I were really inclined to do so I could go out and get a vox ac15, black star ht 40, or fender hotrod. I know they are all nicer amps. But they seem like overkill for noodling around the house by myself or with a friend or 2.

All I am really interested in is a small all tube practice amp that is going to give me some good tones. Name does not matter to me. Price is like to stay under $500. And I will NOT buy a Bugera (already had it and sent it back because it was a toneless, muddy, dull POS).

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Edit... oh and I've played on a blues Jr. At my local store because people seem to love them. Not a bad amp. Sounded pretty good but didn't blow my mind. But honestly for an extra 120 the hotrod is a much better amp so it pretty much made me rule out the blues Jr.
Last edited by Smigzy at Feb 6, 2014,
Jet City is worth a look, killer tones for a good price
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
If you like the way it sounds, go for it. I assumed with it being hand wired the price would be more steep. I have a very simple lil epi valve Jr that's extremely versatile with pedals.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I prefer Blackstar over VHT. I have heard a few complaints about the special 6 amps but some amps arrive defective. It would be best to try them out multiple times.

Good luck
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I prefer Blackstar over VHT. I have heard a few complaints about the special 6 amps but some amps arrive defective. It would be best to try them out multiple times.

Good luck

what is your reasoning? which Black Star? i am not meaning to sound like rude. black star and vht go into the $2000 range, a HT1 to a series 1, or VHT special 6 and a CLX. i know that was odd comparisons.

the biggest draw to the special 6 is the ease to mod for me is that at one point they were on a turret board, and really mod away.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is your reasoning? which Black Star? i am not meaning to sound like rude. black star and vht go into the $2000 range, a HT1 to a series 1, or VHT special 6 and a CLX. i know that was odd comparisons.

the biggest draw to the special 6 is the ease to mod for me is that at one point they were on a turret board, and really mod away.

Except the CLX isn't made by the same VHT that is in existence today. The CLX is made by Fryette.

Pretty sure the most expensive "VHT" amp now, is the Standard 18 Handwired, which is only $900.

That being said, I've never played any amps from the new VHT brand, but I honestly have no interest in them after forcing Steven to change names.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have a Special 6 and from what I remember it sounded pretty good stock, but mine has been modified to the point were its not even the same amp any more. If your into tinkering around with amps this is a good one to do it with, its very easy to mod because once the chassis is removed the circuit board is right there ready to be experimented with. The head and combo are the same amp one just got a speaker attached to it, and it does have a fixed tone stack (high, mid, low) which can be modded to have actual controls.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Except the CLX isn't made by the same VHT that is in existence today. The CLX is made by Fryette.

Pretty sure the most expensive "VHT" amp now, is the Standard 18 Handwired, which is only $900.

That being said, I've never played any amps from the new VHT brand, but I honestly have no interest in them after forcing Steven to change names.

yea i was a little off on when VHT and Fryette and wasn't quite sure when he broke off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by COREYTAYLOR721
I assumed he was in the 200-400 range, so ht-1 or ht-5.

i was just making a point. favoring a brand over another brand is fine. but at least be some reason or grouping why. both companies have <$500 to >$2000 range. if you say blackstar is going to sound way better, that could be true, but just give detail. yea a series 1 is going to beat a special 6, but yea. sorry about that poor wording. but i like amps when if something blows you can get inside of there and heat up the soldering station and fix it quickly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Pretty much everyone who's tried the Specials that I have seen say get the Ultra and don't bother with the 1x10 Special.

I have an Ultra on the way myself.

There are heads that do the single channel/minimal control things way better than the special. Although significantly more expensive, that is Orange Terror territory. Or even the Jet City JCA2012, on a more similar price range.

But all of the extra controls on the Ultra, in addition to the 12" speaker, make it its own beast worth considering.

Quote by MatrixClaw

This bit is unfortunate. I would rather have a Fryette Ultra if it existed, but. As it stands, the VHT has the best sound:features:price ratio I could find, for the sound and features that I want.

Quote by COREYTAYLOR721

Good luck

Why Blackstar out of all amps in the price range? What is the obsession with Blackstar? They sound like cardboard with diodes in them. Do they have pheromones in their speakers that make people think they sound good?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 7, 2014,
QC can be a concern with the special 6, yeah. they sound pretty good (if a bit dark) stock, the lack of controls is the kind of thing that if you like simple, it won't annoy you, but if you don't, it might. Then again if you don't you probably want more preamp gain etc. anyway so presumably the ultra version (if not an entirely different amp) might be a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pretty much everyone who's tried the Specials that I have seen say get the Ultra and don't bother with the 1x10 Special.

I have an Ultra on the way myself.

There are heads that do the single channel/minimal control things way better than the special. Although significantly more expensive, that is Orange Terror territory. Or even the Jet City JCA2012, on a more similar price range.

But all of the extra controls on the Ultra, in addition to the 12" speaker, make it its own beast worth considering.

This bit is unfortunate. I would rather have a Fryette Ultra if it existed, but. As it stands, the VHT has the best sound:features:price ratio I could find, for the sound and features that I want.

Why Blackstar out of all amps in the price range? What is the obsession with Blackstar? They sound like cardboard with diodes in them. Do they have pheromones in their speakers that make people think they sound good?

i played the ultra shortly and was pleasantly surprised. i have haven't played the special, the clips aren't as good. but also looking at clips of the ultra as well and liked them more.

blackstar is one of the worst amps for the dollar to tone ratio.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!