Epi LP Studio
2 14%
Squier Classic Vibe Strat
4 29%
Other
5 36%
Voters: 14.
Hello.
Title actually does an apt job of explaining my situation.
I have a budget of around $600 (though I'd rather keep it below 500) to buy an amp and an electric guitar. I'm looking for recommendations for both the amp and the guitar.

Currently I'm looking at the Epiphone SG G400 Pro, the Squier Classic Vibe HSS and the Epiphone LP Studio. I'm open to other suggestions (yamahas, kramers, ibanez, etc).

As for the amp, I'm considering the Marshall MG10CF (~$80) or the Line 6 Spider IV 15 (~$120). I haven't done enough research as far as this goes, so please give me better recommendations. Otherwise, I'm probably gonna get the Line 6 Spider IV 15.

I'm in Canada and will probably be buying from a Long and McQuade.

This is my second guitar.

Preferences: I listen to a bunch of stuff. I love Led Zeppelin and the Jimmy Page sound. I also love Clapton and Hendrix. And Agnus Young. I don't like the typical "Twang", I tried a SSS squier bullet and didn't like the single coil bridge pickup (though that could just be the guitar).

Ideally I'd go for the LP Studio. But then, theres the G400 pro, which supposedly has better pickups. And coil taps (I find coil taps intriguing enough to influence my purchase). I don't mind the LP's weight, I like something substantial in my hands. Finally, I'm also considering the Squier Classic Vibe Fat Strat because it just seems so much more comfortable.

I absolutely love the sound the LP studio makes on the Clean channel, but I like the Strat sound better when overdriven. IDK.

Oh, and I've never played an SG. The G400 pro basically manages to wow me with its spec sheet - Mahogany ballsy sound, Great quality tuners for the price, supposedly great pickups, and Coil Tap.

I'm not sure how much of an advantage Coil Tap is, I don't know whether I should let it sway me.

Can someone compare these three guitars for me? The Squier Classic Vibe Strat, the Epiphone LP studio and the Epiphone SG G400 Pro? Please give me a comparison of the technical stuff, the durability, the quality of parts, reliability, etc.

Except for the G400 pro, I know what the other two sound like. I prefer the LP studio's sound over the fat strat. I'm expecting the G400 Pro to be a middle ground between the two, in terms of 'warmth' and 'fullness'. Anyways, I'm not buying without trying.

Also, I'm mostly certain that the Line 6 Spider IV 15 is sufficient for me. I'm not playing any gigs, I'm mostly just playing in the bedroom. If you can think of something better at either the same or a lower price, then lemme know.

So yeah, less than 600 bucks for amp and guitar.

Also, any other suggestions are very welcome for discussion. (Cort? Godin? Danelectro?) Is it worth doing extra shifts at subway to save up for a Gibson SGJ?
Oh, also.
I'm only buying new. If I were to buy used, I wouldn't know what faults too look for.

And the limit of 600 is inclusive of taxes.

Prices at which these guitars are being sold to me:
Squier CV Strat - 379 + taxes.
G400 Pro - 385+ taxes.
Epi Lp Studio - 399 + taxes.

Also, is the $299 Squier Deluxe Hot Rails worthy of consideration?
Equipment I have used -
A Yamaha Pacifica Guitar (doesn't say which one, I think its the 112) with H-S-S.
Used it with the Marshall MS2.
Quote by chookiecookie
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss5.html

Look through some of the Agiles.

They sound like what you want. I can't speak for any of the guitars you listed, but I can give recommendations

But please. Don't get a line 6 spider. They're very bad amps. Get a peavey vypyr or vypyr VIP instead

I don't know anywhere around my area where I can buy an Agile guitar. I'm not gonna order online because I'm not gonna buy without playing it first.

I live in Vancouver Island BC, Canada. The only place (that I can think of) where I can a guitar is Long & McQuade.
Very simple.

ESP LTD EC-256 + Peavey Vypyr 15 watt.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/20965/Guitars/Electric/ESP_Guitars/LTD_Single_Cut_Set-Neck_Guitar_-_Black.htm

In my experience these are much easier to play than the Epiphones (I owned an Epi Les Paul Standard and these play better).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by oneblackened
Very simple.

ESP LTD EC-256 + Peavey Vypyr 15 watt.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/20965/Guitars/Electric/ESP_Guitars/LTD_Single_Cut_Set-Neck_Guitar_-_Black.htm

In my experience these are much easier to play than the Epiphones (I owned an Epi Les Paul Standard and these play better).

That guitar is genuinely interesting... And beautiful...
Also has coil split.

But not in stock at long and mcquade. Long and Mcquade do this annoying thing where things that are not in stock show up in the searches and menus.
Get a used Epi LP standard ($200-$350) and a used Peavey Vypyr 30. Buying new with your budget you can only get either a decent guitar or a decent practice amp, but not both. Check your local used market.

The LTD oneblackened posted a link to would serve you fine also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MY recommendations would be the Epi LP/LTD EC 256 + JCA30 used. A used amp shouldn't have as many problems as a used guitar. Plug it in, make sure it works. You should be fine.

H/H config IMO is the best out there for rock. I have one and the tones you get from the neck pickup are just creamy and buttery and everything nice in this world. These are the stock pickups from my first guitar through a Fender Mustang 1. My bro has a HSS but the neck single lacks the oomph to anything useful.

If you really want the range of ok sounds that a practice amp offers, go for the Fender Mustang or Peavey Vypyr. Please stay away from MGs and Line 6 amps (their multi FX unit is quite good).
Yeah, if you buy a used amp it (generally) either works or it doesn't.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Hi,darrenram1 and Robbgnarly.

I think it does make sense when you say Robbgnarly says that with my budget I can either get a decent guitar or a decent amp, but not both. And I think its great. I'd rather just get a decent guitar and a shitty amp, and then maybe a year or so later, I'll get a decent amp.

Also, for the first couple of months or so, I'll be playing with headphones on (I'll be getting a decent set of headphones too). Basically, I don't really need a great sounding amp. I'm okay with the most basic of amps (although I am hoping to buy something with 'chorus' effect. not a necessity, but I really want to play around with it).

So yeah, not spending much on an amp works for me. I'll upgrade that later. Only looking for a cheap amp now.

And Robbgnarly, why do you consider a Used Epi LP Standard a better choice than a New Epi LP Studio? Aside from the looks, aren't they meant to be the same guitar? Correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the difference between the two guitars?

ANYWAYS. Apparently there's a Tom Lee Music here too, that I just found out about. And they sell the LTD EC256. This is HUGE for me, because the LTD EC256 seems like a great purchase.

Personally, I'm debating between the G400 Pro and the EC256. My gut wants me to go with EC256, but the G400 Pro seems better on paper. Also, the SG's 4 knob electronics setup seems to make more sense than the EC256's 3 knob setup.

Is the EC256 worth the extra 50 bucks? Both guitars are gorgeous (EC256 in aged honeyburst vs G400 Pro in glossy cherry), in my eyes. And both would give the 'ballsy' sound. G400 Pro's probably more comfy.

And darrenram1, I kinda agree about what you say about the HSS Strat. Its not the sound I'm looking for, but it has a polished sound. Strats seem like safe purchases and are so much more comfortable.

Will I miss coil tap/split on the Epiphone Les Pauls? Or is it a forgettable gimmick? Would it be expensive to get it installed later on?

AND. If I were to get the EC256, what is that guitar's shortcoming? What would be the 'first thing to upgrade' about the EC256? The pickups? Tuners? Bridge? Because the way I see it, the G400 Pro is cheaper but gives 3rd party branded tuners and supposedly better pickups.

Also. Does any one have information on whether one of these guitars is made in a better factory than the other or something?
Last edited by tquickbrownfox at Feb 7, 2014,
Well the Epi Standard is a better guitar than the studio is period. And you can get a used standard for the price (or less) than a new studio. I'm not saying the studio is a bad guitar, but get the best you can for your money.

If you go used, you can basically get a guitar and amp that would be much better and cost 2x your current budget. That is the route I would go, then in a year when (if) you feel like you need a new amp, you can sell your amp for what you paid and not loose any money

I have a G400 faded and for the money, it is the best Epi SG for the money at $299 new you can put a Seymour Duncan in the bridge for another $72. So for $375ish you will have a good guitar. I gig with my G400 all the time and I own several very nice guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 7, 2014,
Firstly, I don't feel safe buying a used guitar, period. I have been 'cheated' before with violins and cellos, and I know that it is the fault of my lack of experience. I couldn't have known better. I can only imagine buying a used guitar if I have a more experienced friend going to check it out with me. Seriously, I'm expecting a guitar to last at least 5 years. A bit of extra money spent on reliability isn't unreasonable. I don't wanna risk getting a busted guitar because I tried to save $50. Plus these forums online throw around words like "Fret buzz" and all. I don't even know what these problems are.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Well the Epi Standard is a better guitar than the studio is period. And you can get a used standard for the price (or less) than a new studio. I'm not saying the studio is a bad guitar, but get the best you can for your money.

I understand that Epi standard is a better guitar, but I only know that because of the price tags. From what I've heard, sonically the standard and studio sound the same. The standard just has a better finish. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I get your point about getting the best guitar for my money. I would rather have a functional and reliable used epi lp standard than a functional and reliable epi lp studio. But with the new lp studio, the 'functionality and reliability' is guaranteed, while a used guitar purchased by a newbie like myself is unreliable.

Also, as far as the G400 goes, do you think I should the G400 for $315 and then buy my own pickups? Or should I get the G400 Pro with the grover/wilkinson tuners and Anico classic pro pickups for $385?

Also, now I'm almost definitely gonna get a used amp. Should start looking, I guess.
All G-400 come with Grover romantic tuners and a nice quality stop-bar and tail-piece

All I have changed on mine is the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan sh-4 I have giged it since I bought it. I bought it originally as a back up to my PRS CE22 and it has become one of my main gigging guitars. But G400 pickups are not very good even the pro models are not very good.

You can also get GFS pickups from www.guitarfetish.com for a great price. I actually have 2 guitars with GFS in them one actually had a Dimarzio super distortion and swaped it out for a GFS Fat Pat and I like it better ($28)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
All G-400 come with Grover romantic tuners and a nice quality stop-bar and tail-piece

All I have changed on mine is the bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan sh-4 I have giged it since I bought it. I bought it originally as a back up to my PRS CE22 and it has become one of my main gigging guitars. But G400 pickups are not very good even the pro models are not very good.

You can also get GFS pickups from www.guitarfetish.com for a great price. I actually have 2 guitars with GFS in them one actually had a Dimarzio super distortion and swaped it out for a GFS Fat Pat and I like it better ($28)

Cool. Thanks for your reply, its very informative and helpful.
So between the G400 and the G400 Pro, the only difference would be the finish (worn vs glossy) and coil tap (not counting the differences in the pickups, as I'll be replacing them anyway). Which would you say is a better deal? I think I'll still stick with the pro, coil tap may be a half-baked concept and doesn't really replace a single coil, but it will help keep things interesting.

I mean, I'm not finalizing the G400 Pro over the CE256 or the Epi Studio (or over the CV Squier strat, for that matter), but amongst the G400 and the G400 pro, I think G400 pro seems like the better buy. Plus, better resale value.
Also, a bunch of people on the polls are voting for the CV.
Please leave a comment with the poll, otherwise its meaningless, really. Thanks.

In terms of build and finish (quality of wood/tuners/pickups/electronics/hardware), is a squier cv better than an epiphone sg/lp studio? Is it better than the CE256?
I'm a big 80s hard rock fan. So I'd go for either the LP or the SG G400 (No pro). The first thing you should upgrade on any of those guitars would be the pickups. Personally, I'd put an SD Alnico 2 Pro in the neck and a DiMarzio PAF in the bridge. This is just what I would do to get the specific sound I'm after(Slash/Van Halen).Then think about upgrading the nut. If it's anything other than bone or TUSQ replace it with one of those, tuners considering the fixed bridge on all your choices except the strat(block it off. Its for show ) tuners/ bridge/ tuning issues shouldn't be a problem.

I see your concern about being cheated. My first guitar was a superstrat knockoff. I thought it was an original EBMM for $160. I brought it home and it said Ernie Rail on the headstock. It felt and still feels great.

Fret buzz is a problem caused by the neck not having sufficient or too much bow(curvature).
It can be fixed in a day. Less if you have experience.

IMO coil taps are gimmicks. You wouldn't need one. If you really wanted one, you can do it later. They sound nothing like single coils. You can pull of Clapton or Hendrix with HBs (Clapton used an SG too. Neck HB vol 10 tone 0. Sorta kinda woman tone). You can't pull of Angus Young with SCs.

Most important, if the Strat feels and sounds right to you, get it. If any one feels and sounds right to you get it. You will WANT to play a guitar that feels great.
You can get a push/pull pot for the G-400 worn for <$10 for the part and any 4 conductor pickups and can be coil tapped. Most pickups are 4 conductor.

No Epi G-400's have good resale value I can get maybe $150-175 for mine (with stock pickups) and you can get $175-$200 for the G-400 pro.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Taking the G400 and then modding it sounds like an effort.
Also, if I were to get a G400 and then replace only one pickup, it'd cost me the same as the g400 pro. So which is better - a G400 with 1 seymour duncan and one shitty stock pickup or a G400 pro with two alnico pros. I heard from somewhere that the alnico pros are basically epiphone's burstbucker.

Can someone rank the quality of the pickups on all three of these guitars (G400 pro, LP Studio, CE256)? I'd say they're roughly the same. I looked it up, the price for a replacement pair of the stock pickups are hovering around $50 for all three guitars. Are the pickups rougly the same?

Reputation-wise, can someone compare epiphone and ESP LTD?

Also, can someone comment on the playability of the three guitars? I think I know the answer to this one myself, but I'd rather hear it from someone else.
Quote by tquickbrownfox
Taking the G400 and then modding it sounds like an effort.
Also, if I were to get a G400 and then replace only one pickup, it'd cost me the same as the g400 pro. So which is better - a G400 with 1 seymour duncan and one shitty stock pickup or a G400 pro with two alnico pros. I heard from somewhere that the alnico pros are basically epiphone's burstbucker.

Can someone rank the quality of the pickups on all three of these guitars (G400 pro, LP Studio, CE256)? I'd say they're roughly the same. I looked it up, the price for a replacement pair of the stock pickups are hovering around $50 for all three guitars. Are the pickups rougly the same?

Reputation-wise, can someone compare epiphone and ESP LTD?

Also, can someone comment on the playability of the three guitars? I think I know the answer to this one myself, but I'd rather hear it from someone else.

All the pickups on those guitars are pretty meh. you could do worse, but you can get much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Voted in the poll, but...

whatever you do, don't buy that Line 6 Spider. I actually would look into saving a little more cash and then buying one of the amps in Roland Cube line. Click here. The Cubes are about halfway down the page.

Is the Roland Cube Lite any good? Because I could really really use a 2.1 speaker system anyways. That thing's the right size. Its minimalistic enough and has all the features/effects I need.

Here's the thing, I'm mostly gonna be practising on my own - No gigs, no jams (few jams, I could borrow someone else's amp for those). And I'm in a dorm, so I'll be either using headphones or I'll be using the amp on low volume. So I don't exactly need any exceptionally loud amp. But if I'm spending $170, I'm gonna want a good amp.

How is the Cube Lite, when compared to a Fender Mustang I or a Peavey VIP for just a clean tone?
Quote by Robbgnarly
All the pickups on those guitars are pretty meh. you could do worse, but you can get much better

How much better are the G400 Pro pickups than the G400 pickups?

And, if a comparison is possible - where does the Squier Classic Vibe HSS strat stand?
Seriously, just order one online. I've never played a bad LTD.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by tquickbrownfox
How much better are the G400 Pro pickups than the G400 pickups?

And, if a comparison is possible - where does the Squier Classic Vibe HSS strat stand?

Not by much, not good enough to justify the difference in price IMO.

The CV strat is pretty nice, I have played a few and I have nothing bad to say about them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by oneblackened
Seriously, just order one online. I've never played a bad LTD.

There's a physical store about an hour from my place that sells the EC256.. I would never buy one online.

But thats some overconfidence. Even if you trust a brand that much, there's no way you can be sure that the product won't be damaged while handling. At a brick and mortar store you can at least have a good look at it before you buy.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not by much, not good enough to justify the difference in price IMO.

Can anyone else back him up on this?
Swedish Guitar Nerd thought that the Pro pickups were a "huge upgrade".
Premier Guitar said that they were a much better pickup (The g400 pro, apparently, uses a alnico v magnet while the normal g400 has alnico ii magnets)

Also, if the roland cube lite amp is any good, then I'm buying that and a cheaper guitar (like a SG 400. Crap, maybe I'll have to start a new thread all over again).
Cool, the EC256 has a belly cut.

How exactly would one go about adding coil tap/split to a Epi lp studio?
Quote by tquickbrownfox
Can anyone else back him up on this?
Swedish Guitar Nerd thought that the Pro pickups were a "huge upgrade".
Premier Guitar said that they were a much better pickup (The g400 pro, apparently, uses a alnico v magnet while the normal g400 has alnico ii magnets)

Also, if the roland cube lite amp is any good, then I'm buying that and a cheaper guitar (like a SG 400. Crap, maybe I'll have to start a new thread all over again).

My G-400 came stock with AlNico V magnet pickups, I think they are called Hot Vintage (don't quote me on the name). I actually like the stock neck pickup But the SH-4 is a huge upgrade. The only Epi's with good pickups have Gibson pickups in them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tquickbrownfox
Cool, the EC256 has a belly cut.

How exactly would one go about adding coil tap/split to a Epi lp studio?

Put a push/pull pot and 4 conductor pickups.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Out of your list, the G-400 is arguably the best quality on the list among most guitarists. If I were you, I'd consider the used market for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. They're top notch guitars for the price and are durable. Most people will sway you towards the Peavey Vypyr series, and i can't say much since I don't have much experience on amps.

Quote by tquickbrownfox
And coil taps (I find coil taps intriguing enough to influence my purchase).

What you're referring to is know as "coil-split". Even though most manufacturers say it's a "coil-tap" (Gibson is a big culprit), it's actually a coil split. Coil-splitting is used in humbucker pickups. As you know, HB have two coils on them and are wired in reverse polarity to cancel out hum. When you "split" the pickup, you're basically wiring it up so only one of the coils are working while the other one is dead.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Robbgnarly
Put a push/pull pot and 4 conductor pickups.

So to get coil split on a lp studio, I'd have to get a new set of pickups? IMPORTANT: would modding the lp studio to add coil split void my warranty?
I watched a couple of videos, coil split does seem like it adds some tonal diversity.

And I'm still hoping for frankly any information/experience with the Roland Cube Lite.
Quote by tquickbrownfox

How is the Cube Lite, when compared to a Fender Mustang I or a Peavey VIP for just a clean tone?

The Fender blows the Cube and the Peavey away. It would go like this:

Clean:
Fender
Cube
Peavey

Distortion:
Peavey
Fender
Cube
For the amp, get the Fender Mustang II. http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/21080/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Mustang_II_Guitar_Amplifier.htm

If you're thinking about the Epiphone G400, absolutely try it before you buy it. I know some people are very happy with theirs. The one I owned was one of the worst guitars I've owned. The electronics and hardware were shit that physically fell apart on me. Really the definition of a dud.

I can back up what is being said about the LTD guitars. Their QC is very, very good. The only company I know of that's better is Ibanez. See if your store has any ART models, though I don't know if they'll fall in your budget.

Really the important part of my post is to get the Mustang II. It has a 12" speaker instead of a tiny 8" one, and it makes a huge difference. Small speakers don't have good bass response and often sound terrible with distortion because of it. They're most often basically toys that you'll grow out of and throw away. If you get a bigger amp now, you can basically keep it forever and use it for practicing or backup when you do grow out of it and move on.

I also highly recommend looking at the Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 if you can find one. I didn't see one on your website.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So I've decided to get an LP Studio.

I'll be looking around for some cheap used amp. Someone in my university was actually selling a Yamaha THR10 for $150, I missed that deal...

Still waiting on anything you've heard of about the the Roland Cube Lite.