Hey guys - what are your opinions on combo amps as compared to a head and cab setup?

The two amps/setups I have in mind are the Jet City JCA5212RC and the Jet City JCA50H head paired with a JCA24S 2x12" cab. Is the $175 ontop of the combo really worth it for the head and cab setup? Both setups are almost identical as far as I can see (or read a spec sheet rather lol) - aside from the fact that the combo has an extra 12AX7 preamp.

In any case - I'm headed to the local guitar store tomorrow to give both of them a shot.

(in case you read my last post - i learnt from the error of my ways thanks to you guys haha)

Interested to hear all your thoughts!
Last edited by cyrillim at Feb 7, 2014,
Have you ever tried lifting a 2x12 cab?
****in' heavy.

Now think about adding some 10 to 20kg to it.
Exaggeratedly heavy.

I'd get the head + cab for three reasons
-convenience (weight, dimensions...)
-options (you could get a different cab or use the same cab with your next amp)
-damn man it's way cooler to have a half stack

And instead of the jet city cab, I'd put some €50 more into a harley benton G212V
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
1) head + cab is much easier to transport and a head gives you the option of a better quality cab

2) more (and most) importantly, they are entirely different amps. The 5212RC has a great clean channel and an almost pointless overdrive channel (hardly any gain, only 3 stage, no cold clipper, all the things that people like the jet cities for) and the 50H has higher and lower gain channels, no cleans
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
You do realize the JCA5212 is a different amp than the JCA50h. The JCA5212 is a lower gain amp (Soldano Lucky 13) while the 50h is hi-gain.

The 5212 will have much better cleans and a nice mid-gain crunch, but is not ideal for doing heavy metal or harder styles.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yup. 5212 is a different amp. 5012 would be the amp that matches with JCA50h.

I vote for halfstack over combo. IMHO halfstack is more portable because you can divide the load in two instead of carrying them all at once. Plus once you have a cab that you like, changing head to another is cheaper than getting another combo. Plus heads are smaller, you can always store one in the closet when you get another one where as a collection of combos will soon become a space problem.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Spambot_2
Have you ever tried lifting a 2x12 cab?
****in' heavy.

I dunno what kinda 2x12s you're picking up, but every single 2x12 I've owned (with the exception of the vertical Mesa 2x12 which was basically the size of a 4x12) have been pretty light to carry.

I agree on the combo comment, though... I will never own a 2x12 combo again for this very reason. The last 2x12 combo I owned was a Mesa Road King and that thing was almost as big as the Mesa 4x12 I had at the time, and weighed probably twice as much. The 5150 combo I had years ago weighed a metric ton
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I dunno what kinda 2x12s you're picking up, but every single 2x12 I've owned (with the exception of the vertical Mesa 2x12 which was basically the size of a 4x12) have been pretty light to carry.

I agree on the combo comment, though... I will never own a 2x12 combo again for this very reason. The last 2x12 combo I owned was a Mesa Road King and that thing was almost as big as the Mesa 4x12 I had at the time, and weighed probably twice as much. The 5150 combo I had years ago weighed a metric ton

Previous 5150 212 owner here checking in.

Yep, **** that shit.

Quote by MaaZeus
Yup. 5212 is a different amp. 5012 would be the amp that matches with JCA50h.

I need to remember this, since Jet Cities are such popular recommendations here.

2212 & 5012 = high gain
2112 & 5212 = lower gain

That's not terribly intuitive.

He probably should have thought their model naming through a little better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well HBs are 25kg, oranges are 30kg, standard avatar's are 25kg...

That's heavy to me at least.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
^ heavy to me too, but 2x12 combos are normally even worse

and yeah +1 on their being different amps. that's the main thing. the 5012 versus the head and cab setup, that's a fairer comparison.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Spambot_2

Sounds like someone needs to turn into a man still
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
C'm on, I'm 17, gimme that at least
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
First plunge into tube amps was the Valveking 2x12 combo. Played dozens of shows with it. Never again. I swear my new amp and cab are lighter than that ****ing thing
Quote by Spambot_2

Not super light but I've had heads that weighed close to 25kg before, so it's not too bad.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ended up picking up the half-stack; a JCA50H with a JCA24S 2x12" cab - which fit extremely snug under the budget; they don't seem to have HB cabs around here.

As far as tone goes - holy sh*t this thing beats the living daylights out of the modeling cube and software emulations i've used!

---I actually had to walk back a good 3km or so to my place with both the amp and head (stopping almost every ten minutes and getting the strangest of stares) - I can't feel my arms anymore and I'm pretty sure that ain't a good thing
Quote by cyrillim
Ended up picking up the half-stack; a JCA50H with a JCA24S 2x12" cab - which fit extremely snug under the budget; they don't seem to have HB cabs around here.

As far as tone goes - holy sh*t this thing beats the living daylights out of the modeling cube and software emulations i've used!

---I actually had to walk back a good 3km or so to my place with both the amp and head (stopping almost every ten minutes and getting the strangest of stares) - I can't feel my arms anymore and I'm pretty sure that ain't a good thing

That sounded like a good workout. Do it every couple of days and you will be a big man in no time. Seriously though, thats a crazy distance to carry something like that on foot! Good thing that you didnt hurt your yourself, heavy boxes like that with weight point away from your body puts so much stress on your spine and back muscles. You will propably feel it later.

Happy new gear day though!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by cyrillim

Fawk me!

You should put some casters on the cab, and hitched a tow home, or at least pushed it

Spambot, I think you need to take some pointers from this guy
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Feb 8, 2014,
screw that, i'm a wuss too and i'm ok with it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 2x12 combo I gig with weighs 40kg (90lb).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah my head weighs 52lbs (23.5 Kg) and my cab weighs 100lbs (45.3 Kg) but I have casters so moving it is easy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah if i ever get round to gigging i think i'm getting one of those trolleys cath always posts

but yeah my genz benz black pearl is a 2x12 combo with only one top handle and it's like 32kg or something daft like that. I could just about get it out of the box and across the room to where it sits now i had the option on the head + cab setup but it was a fair bit more money and i cheaped out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't even try to carry my behemoth. I use a trolley to move it around and normally get somebody to help me lift it on and off the stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by red.guitar
Spambot, I think you need to take some pointers from this guy
**** y'all guys, I'm comfortable with my 10kg amp + 25kg cab
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Cathbard
I don't even try to carry my behemoth. I use a trolley to move it around and normally get somebody to help me lift it on and off the stage.

yeah that sounds sensible, as i said, that's what i'd do too if i were in a gigging situation
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?