I just received a Cordoba Guilele CE ordered from Zzounds.com. It was supposed to be new, not advertised as a second, used, demo model, refurb, or anything like that. (For those not familiar with it, it is the size of a tenor uke, but a six string nylon string guitar.)

I was surprised in unboxing it, that the three wound metal bass strings are very rusty, right from the box.

Have others encountered something similar? (I don't mean that instrument or that retailer.) Bought a new instrument online, and the metal-wound strings on it already quite rusty?

If it was in stock in their warehouse for a few months, packed away in its box, is it possible for the strings to rust that way?

Or was mine more likely hanging out in the store as a demo model, handled a lot, etc.?
Unfortunately it's not unusual for strings on a new guitar to be tarnished. The guitar would have been strung in the factory and it may have been held in stock by distributors / stores for quite some time.

Fit a new set of strings and see how it goes.
i'd contact zzounds and let them know. they are very good with customer service. they'll probably send you a new set or 2 of strings. great place to do business if you have no local shop and are forced to shop online.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
i'd contact zzounds and let them know. they are very good with customer service. they'll probably send you a new set or 2 of strings. great place to do business if you have no local shop and are forced to shop online.

I contacted them, and they issued an RMA for me to return the instrument. That is nice of them. (I think the return shipping is postpaid. I need to check that.)

However, I do wonder if it was not a demo, and the whole batch may have tarnished inside their boxes, whether the replacement might have tarnished strings as well. Then it certainly would not be worth my trouble to do the replacement, not to mention the shipping costs for Zzounds.

I could ask for a new set of strings, but those are expensive strings that come strung on that instrument. Aquila Guilele strings, which cost at least $15 a set. i just checked the zzounds web site, and they don't carry the strings. (Yes, one can use other strings on the instrument--even a set of classical guitar strings. However, I would like to try the aquila guilele strings that come with the instrument.)

Is it likely that others they have in stock will have tarnished strings as well?

Could I ask the manufacturer, Cordoba, to send me a set of aquila guilele strings, telling them that mine came tarnished?
it was probably just from sitting around a warehouse. just enjoy the replacement when it comes in. i would assume that Zzounds has a pre-check done before an instrument leaves. apparently not. i haven't purchased anything other than small stuf from them. i bought a few from Sweetwater and they did an extensive checkout procedure( signed off by 6 or 7 people if i remember correctly) before shipping. for most of my high end stuff, i go thru a friend in Oregon that owns a shop and his stuff is very very thoroughly checked before leaving. on a taylor that i ordered from him, he noticed a trace amount of stain on the side of the fretboard that he sent me some pics on. i could not see it and had him send it. even when i recieved it, i had to look very hard to find it.
Thanks. What I meant though, if it is something that happens to guitars while boxed in their original box from the warehouse, then my replacement, if from the same batch, might have the same problem.

However, I see they are selling one as "blemished" for a lower price.

If they mistakenly sent me the blemished one, then returning it for an actual new one would solve the problem.

However, if it happens to guitars while still boxed in the warehouse, then the whole batch might have that problem!

Mike

Quote by stepchildusmc
it was probably just from sitting around a warehouse. just enjoy the replacement when it comes in. i would assume that Zzounds has a pre-check done before an instrument leaves. apparently not. i haven't purchased anything other than small stuf from them. i bought a few from Sweetwater and they did an extensive checkout procedure( signed off by 6 or 7 people if i remember correctly) before shipping. for most of my high end stuff, i go thru a friend in Oregon that owns a shop and his stuff is very very thoroughly checked before leaving. on a taylor that i ordered from him, he noticed a trace amount of stain on the side of the fretboard that he sent me some pics on. i could not see it and had him send it. even when i recieved it, i had to look very hard to find it.
like i said.... make sure they check it first !!!
Quote by maikii
Thanks. What I meant though, if it is something that happens to guitars while boxed in their original box from the warehouse, then my replacement, if from the same batch, might have the same problem.

However, I see they are selling one as "blemished" for a lower price.

If they mistakenly sent me the blemished one, then returning it for an actual new one would solve the problem.

However, if it happens to guitars while still boxed in the warehouse, then the whole batch might have that problem!

Mike

Yes - the problem might well exist with other guitars. Unless the guitar is restrung by the store it's a pretty common occurrence. All guitar strings have a finite shelf life and it's usual for the set that was fitted by the factory to have passed that date. Copper and copper alloy strings especially tend to tarnish quickly due to oxidation - and the silver-plating on classical strings only provides limited protection (this is why strings are often packed in treated envelopes - it slows down the oxidation).

Fit some new strings - you can get a set of good quality classical strings for less than $10 in the USA.
Last edited by Garthman at Feb 8, 2014,
Thanks again to all for your responses.

Garthman, as I said, these come with very expensive Aqula guilele strings, made specifically for this instrument, and not available at many outlets. So I would like to get a unit with those strings in good condition, even though I know it would also work to string it with a regular classical guitar set. (Although the guilele has a much shorter scale than a regular guitar, one tunes it a fourth higher (1st and 6th strings to A), so a regular set is not too flabby on the shorter scale when tuned up that way.) I would like to try the Aquila guilele strings, that were made for and come with this guitar, and cost at least $15 to buy separately.

Although I think that most Cordoba guitars and ukuleles are made in China (except for some very expensive models made in Spain), I think they are strung and checked here in the USA.

Not sure about the shelf life of strings. I have sometimes bought a lot of strings in one order from companies like Strings by Mail, to save on shipping costs, stocked up. When I take out a new set a year or more later the metal strings are not tarnished. (And I live near the ocean to boot!)

Aren't new guitars usually wrapped in plastic, to help protect against string rusting, etc.? This one was only wrapped in paper inside a box, inside another box, etc. No plastic.

I think stepchild has a good point--to make sure they check the new one first. I will ask them to check the new one first--except I have doubts whether that would actually be done? In a large online outfit like zzounds, the shipping warehouse is likely at a completely different location than customer service, they don't really have much connection with one another. So I can ask CS to make sure the replacement doesn't have rusted strings, but I kind of doubt that the shipping folks, even if they get that message, would pay any attention to it. And being shipping people, not musicians, they might have no idea what new strings are supposed to look like anyhow. But I guess I should ask that it be checked, and see what happens.