Hello,

I have been trying to play a nice solo on this song called Bloed, Zweet en Tranen which is a dutch blues style song. My guitar skills are not that theoretical, i do know some of the techniques but when it comes to all this scales and stuff, im just starting to learn.

Let me write down the chord progressions for what to write a solo on

Dm A/C#
F/C G
Bb F
E7 A

This is the total tab
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/andre_hazes/bloed_zweet_en_tranen_crd.htm

So i tried doing a D minor pentatonic thing on it and it sounds really good for the first 4 chords in there, but the second it switches to a Bb it sounds a bit off. I do notice when i play the root note of the chord on the start of the chord it sounds good, but then doing a minor pentatonic on that chord doesnt sound so good.

Could you guys give me some pointers on how to tackle this one, I really want to learn how to do this kind of stuff in the future so this is a perfect training exercise
Actually if you'll extend the minor pentatonic to the full D natural minor scale, you'll notice that the sixth note of it is a Bb... I'd start from that.
Yeah i completely forgot about different modes of scales and managed to find a set of modes that fit the chords in the song, check it out

http://jguitar.com/harmonizer/chord2scale?chordlist=Dm%2CA%2FC%23%2CF%2FC%2CG%2CBb%2CF%2CE7%2CA

It indeed lists a D natural minor (aeolian) to be a good one to start with on the Bb. Only problem is that so far i only know the minor pentatonic scale, so i better start learning quick (only have a week left).

I have also noticed that if you look at the basic pentatonic scale where the root note is the first note, you find them in Dorian, Aeolian and Lydian modes with some extra notes in there. So what I can do for now is stick to those notes on the right part of the fretboard while I familiarize myself with these different modes.
That's because there's minor pentatonic and major pentatonic.
They have different Root notes and different intervals. Even though they're
within the 5 box shape patterns.
Then there's also the blues scale with various option notes insert.
You'll hear the blues scale being play in.. walk this way, Blackdog, to the Sandman.

Yes, you're getting it.
The minor pentatonic intervals are 1,-3,4,5,-7.
Add two notes to get the diatonic scales.
Aeolian. Add the 2 and -6......1,2-3,4,5-6,-7
Dorian. Add the 2 and 6 or raise the -6 of the Aeolian. So you get 1,2-3,4,5,6-7
Phrygian. Add the -2 and -6 or lower the 2 of the Aeolian. you get 1,-2,-3,4,5,-6,7

maj pentatonic.........1,2,3,5,6
Ionian. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (add the 4 and 7)
Lydian. 1,2,3,#4,5,6,7 (or raise the 4th of Ionian)
Mixolyian. 1,2,3,4,5,6-7 (flatten the 7th of the Ionian)

Locrian. 1.-2,-3,4,-5,-6-7 or flatten the 2 and 5 of the Aeolian.

D Minor pentatonic....................................F major pentatonic

E----------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------
G--------------------5----(7)------------------------------7------(10)--
D--------------5---7----------------------------7------10------------------
A----(5)-----8------------------------(8)---10----------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------

..........D Phrygian............................................F mixolydian
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G--------------------------5---7----------------------------------7--8----10---------------
D----------------5---7--8-----------------------------7--8---10---------------------------
A---(5)-6-----8-----------------------------(8)----10-----------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could had tab it in D Aeolian and F Ionian...but I did it this way so you might see how
the pentatonic scale is like a skeletion. Learning modes is rather easy.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 7, 2014,
The reason why the root note of the D minor pentatonic sounds good over a Bb major chord is that D is the 3rd of Bb - one of the notes that make up the chord, and one of your "strong" notes for playing lead over it.

You mentioned being short of time: here's the thing - if you get D minor pentatonic and just add the 6th to it - the Bb - then mission accomplished. The minor scale only contains two intervals that the minor pentatonic doesn't - the 2nd and the 6th, so you're most of the way there from having learned the pentatonic. In your case, for the most part you won't want the 2nd - the E - because it's not part of Bb major - that's the only note that will clash a bit. This isn't a hard rule btw - people use the "wrong" note to great effect sometimes, to add a touch of tension/dissonance, etc.
Last edited by se012101 at Feb 7, 2014,