What should I expect from guitar lessons?
I have just started taking lessons but all that I seem to do is play along to the song sheets which I was given the lesson before. When I can play them I am given more song sheets to practice from. I do not feel like I am being taught anything, I can find tabs and song sheets on line to play along to.
Is this normal or am I expecting too much?
What you do want to learn? There's tons of guitar lessons on you tube. Anything from basic
to very technical stuff, You have to sort through some of it.

Ive taught many people. They comprehend rather quick. Most of them want to play rock or
metal. It would be pointless for me to send them home with sheet music of Ronda.

I don't know everything. My lessons are free.lol
Sometime the kids will tell to figure out a song for them. That's how they stay interested.
Play what they enjoy....

I do however make them learn chords, scales ,fretboard navatigation.
make sure they work on inflections. Make sure they're hold the pick properly.
Most of the time if they have questions. I just show it to them. In ways that they
can comprehend.

I also teach them how to adjust the neck rod and the strings innotations.
Last edited by smc818 at Feb 7, 2014,
Quote by diverkev
I have just started taking lessons but all that I seem to do is play along to the song sheets which I was given the lesson before. When I can play them I am given more song sheets to practice from. I do not feel like I am being taught anything, I can find tabs and song sheets on line to play along to.

It is normal. Here's the thing, though. Your teacher probably has a plan. He or she is trying to give you songs that will teach you certain techniques/concepts and that will make you a better player overall. If you're not understanding the relevance, then respectfully ask something like, "What technique/concept should I focus on when learning this song?"
Quote by diverkev

You can get song sheets online, but you can't get personalized guidance. Shirley your teacher is doing more than just giving you random song sheets.
Is the teacher watching and listening and then correcting you? Having someone that knows how to play give feedback is the main thing you'd get from a human in front of you. At the beginning, you're probably doing 15 things wrong but you can't correct that many things at once. They will (or should) be trying to get you to fix a few things related to timing and technique at a time. Oh, and then there's the teaching of chords and scales in some orderly way.
IF the teacher has a plan for you, don't worry. But there are a lot of terrible teachers that shouldn't really teach. You should try and ask him if he's got a plan for you and depending on how far you are with your playing, you should also try and work out some goals for what you want to do with the guitar.
You can do that even if you are a total beginner.
I have had the same experience, which is why I am mostly self-taught. All the teachers I have found seem to be, first and foremost, aspiring musicians who teach on the side and are not really passionate about it. They just want to clock their time and get their $$. And they seem to fall into the same rut of asking, "What do you want to play?" and then scribbling out a tab riff or song that is along the lines of whatever I want to play. But, like you say, I can find all the tabs in the world, and they will be a hell of a lot neater (and more complete) than the scribbled tabs the instructor is handing me.

I was hoping to have a teacher who would be very proactive about watching and correcting the subtle nuances of playing, (e.g., telling me to adjust the thumb position on my fretting hand, how high above the strings I hold my fingers when they aren't fretting, how I hold the pick, how I have the guitar on my lap, intonation issues, etc.) More technique and form oriented rather than song-oriented. But that seems to be more work for them, and it is easier for them to just write you out a tabbed song or lick (them writing that stuff out can take up 20% of the lesson time alone while you just sit there staring at the wall).

Like, I had an instructor write out all five minor pentatonic shapes on a tab because I was slow to play them right, said I knew them but did not have them down pat. Forget that I have copies of those shapes printed out and in books at home, and can find them on a zillion internet sites, or that his writing them out took like 5 minutes out of a 30 minute lesson. It was idiotic, and just an example that this guy was in "killing time" mode. It's worse, too, if you get an instructor who wants to show off his playing for you as if that is going to teach you anything.

I guess it's my own fault for not seeking an instructor who is actually dedicated to instruction, and who is classically trained, and who believes in focusing on the basics as a precursor to moving on to more complicated stuff. But I think you may find, like me, that the vast majority of guitar instructors are in "killing time" mode.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by diverkev

Did you go in with a specific list of things to be learned/taught?

Best,

Sean