I've just picked up bass alongside guitar, and I'm going on a gear revamp when I can afford. I picked up a used Line 6 Bass Pod (the rack mount one) on Ebay, and I'm planning to get a Laney IRT Studio soon (although until then, I'll be using my HT-5).

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a power amp or not, because most of them are too powerful and/or expensive. Being new to bass amplification, I'm a little unsure about the wattage I need, considering I'm just playing at home. I've just been using the HT-5 going to the 115 at the moment, because I'm getting a couple of pots replaced in the Pod, and the volume's fine, I just don't want to risk stuffing the amp?

Anyways, long story short; when I get my Pod back, will I be able to safely run the Bass Pod through the power amp of the HT-5 (and later the Laney) and into the 115, instead of buying a power amp? I know the Laney has the 15W and 1W inputs, does anyone know if that's likely to be an issue in terms of the power amp?

If I was to buy a power amp, it'd be the Alesis RA-150 (or maybe the Rocktron Velocity 100, but only if I can justify the extra expense) through my 8-ohm 115. That said, if I don't buy a power amp, I can buy a smaller rack, too.

Basically, will my guitar head's power amp amplify my bass preamp without screwing the guitar head? Or is worth the extra for a pre amp? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

(I live in Australia, by the way, if that helps).
yes you can run the pod into the fx loop return bypassing the IRT preamp. but use a bass speaker cab not a guitar cab. The only draw back is you will have no clean headroom to play live, but for home use it will work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you didn't know
You can buy the guitar model packs from Line 6 that will add onto the Bass pod and then you would have bass and guitar models. I have the POD XT bean and I can buy the bass pack if I want or need it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd look at getting a powered PA, or a foldback monitor, as you'll always find them handy for gigging. They should also be quite powerful in terms of headroom.

and you can run your bass through the amp, however the speaker is the concern. If the 1x15 speaker is a guitar speaker, don't do it. However if it's a bass speaker, go wild.

Oh, on the Australia point, all that I mentioned won't work, purely due to your location
Quote by ambler3
I'd look at getting a powered PA, or a foldback monitor, as you'll always find them handy for gigging. They should also be quite powerful in terms of headroom.

and you can run your bass through the amp, however the speaker is the concern. If the 1x15 speaker is a guitar speaker, don't do it. However if it's a bass speaker, go wild.

Oh, on the Australia point, all that I mentioned won't work, purely due to your location

yeah, the 115 is a bass speaker, specifically bought that for the purposes of playing bass. Also makes my guitar sound killer! (I'll probably get an ABY box so I can switch between speakers or use both for guitar).

Damn location!
Quote by Robbgnarly
yes you can run the pod into the fx loop return bypassing the IRT preamp. but use a bass speaker cab not a guitar cab. The only draw back is you will have no clean headroom to play live, but for home use it will work just fine

yeah, the 115's a bass cab. Guessing I'd run the Pod into the FX Return and then go from the IRT's speaker out? If I ever join a band, I'll pick up a power amp then, but I'll see how the headroom works for me to start with.
Quote by staceap
yeah, the 115's a bass cab. Guessing I'd run the Pod into the FX Return and then go from the IRT's speaker out? If I ever join a band, I'll pick up a power amp then, but I'll see how the headroom works for me to start with.

yeah run it like that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you have the speaker and preamp for a bass all you need is a PA power amp. Search ebay for a used one. If a power amp has the word guitar written on it they jack up the price. PA amps often sell ridiculously cheap used.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by staceap
yeah, the 115 is a bass speaker, specifically bought that for the purposes of playing bass. Also makes my guitar sound killer! (I'll probably get an ABY box so I can switch between speakers or use both for guitar).

Damn location!

If you're referring to using the ABY box between the amp and cabinet, DONT DO IT. Unless specifically designed for that purpose (Like the Radial thing, the CabBone maybe?) it will not handle that strong of a signal. A typical ABY (such as the one Morley makes) is designed for the very weak signal a guitar puts out, and will not handle the much much more powerful signal of an amp.

It's basically the same reason you always use a speaker cable to connect a head and cab and should never use an instrument cable.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
If you're referring to using the ABY box between the amp and cabinet, DONT DO IT. Unless specifically designed for that purpose (Like the Radial thing, the CabBone maybe?) it will not handle that strong of a signal. A typical ABY (such as the one Morley makes) is designed for the very weak signal a guitar puts out, and will not handle the much much more powerful signal of an amp.

It's basically the same reason you always use a speaker cable to connect a head and cab and should never use an instrument cable.

Ah, okay, fair enough. Was only gonna use one to save me having to unplug and plug in cables, but that's good to know.
Quote by Cathbard
If you have the speaker and preamp for a bass all you need is a PA power amp. Search ebay for a used one. If a power amp has the word guitar written on it they jack up the price. PA amps often sell ridiculously cheap used.

Righto, that's what I liked about the Alesis one, I can get that on ebay for $230 new or something. Trouble is finding a used one of a higher quality considering I don't need the power the average power amp kicks out at this stage of my bass-playing life!