http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1aVXtYI1A

Hi, all.. I'm a musician and I desperately want to improve and learn intensively the guitar and shredding as so. Music is my whole being and I feel like a phony saying that without my outlets expressing that for themselves. It's sad and it hurts me because I am being untrue to my one true love- and gift. I need someone to help me and guide me there. I love a lot of funk guitaraists, jazz guitarists, EVERY guitarists who has a concept of sound that hits me so, all sort to be fair. Not one particular style, but I want to be able to do that ^ someday. (D'angelo, soulmate funkadelic cover) And I feel sad and stuck because I have all these emotions that I know if I knew how to exploit musically would change my life and hopefully reach others- genuine emotions.

I'm not interested in anymore nonsense lessons, and no pun intended but I've gone through two guitar teachers now. I just turned 21 and while I know many are self taught, there's so much more I want to learn. I am a complex person and if I don't learn in an intensive way I will not excel, or find hope or see the light.

While my previous teachers have been nice people and gifted guitarists, I also feel they are not the teachers for me. Music is a very spiritiual thing and I need the help to convey my talents and sound from within to others through a guidance in an abundance.

I need a guru to help me or to guide me for that matter. I always try to find them but return unlucky and back to square 1.

Also, I'm interested in recording a demo at least, but I've got no musicians other than myself and write my own material. But again it's hard for me to write material I believe in or am proud of without being more adequate on things such as guitar and as a singer/songwriter, I don't want to be just that, I as to be a full fledged artist. I want to pick up a guitar someday and inspire like how Prince did or Hendrix or many others- while they are long shots, we're all human beings and we all have capabilities if we believe.

I'm full of angst and hope at the same time because I know there's so much more for me, but I feel stuck and artistically sad and it hurts my life because I need to get this guitar. I need to not just put my hands on two or three chords and pick them almost in-proficiently because it's what I've "learned" I need a lot of help.

I don't know if any of you could help me, but this is my artistic reach and plea and I'm in hopes someone or something could be my guidance or at least guide me to someone who can be. It's not about the money to be fair, on my end, and please just be honest musician to musician with me as music is my life and I am pursuing this not only as a career but it's my life literally.

It is the epitome of my whole being, but because I can't adequately express myself through such mechanism the way I want and know I can dream of/believe I can I am a starving and sad artist who is hungry for that knowledge. I see music literally, and can't even explain my hunger to others who don't understand. I go to music shops for hours on an end admiring the sounds and for years have been saying "One day I'll be that good, I hope, one day the sound will just come out with my feelings" as an artist I feel. But it's so hard for me, I need help. I'm sad because of this.

So I beg for you all reading to just be honest in response on what to do and where to go, because so many guitar teachers are out there, and gurus, and everyone has their gift, but a lot of it I've noticed are sales, or only promise you a "Well today we'll practice this and what do you want to learn??" no guide to technique, no nothing. Bare progress, bare truth, bare music, just lesson to listen. I need help. I see things like these :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xzolaURu-Y (this especially)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqt-pQNKrqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBb-qiljCw&list=PLCHneFj1EAEfzdyQuIN9Alns5sCHr9LfK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4z4MT8wGKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7YSxDonfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1LqukqnU0

Obviously people like Hendrix, but there's so much more beautiful musicians and their ways of composing music through sound that inspires me. I want to do the same. I mean think of people like Wyclef Jea, I love his concept of sound as we're influenced by the same sounds to a point- he has a lot of island influences. Think Cuban guitar, think reggae/kaiso/calypso/soukous(congolese), but I love every sound. I mean I listen to people from all over like Rodrigo y Gabriela, Grant Green, all sorts of "no name" musicians/artists have you and I desperately want to get there, but am sad and stuck. I need advice desperately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAHdwh9NCxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkxXjfNXLL4

I want to be myself and I just need someone or something musically to guide me there and to help me find it because I don't know which way to go. I hear so much music it actually deters me away from the world for better. It's the epitome of my being but I'm sad because I'm sick of saying I wish and picking up these teachers that I know spiritually as a musician I don't connect with. It usually turns into me breaking my pocket in hopes of someone guiding me to the truth and to myself and expression. I crave to be able to out pour these feelings as an artist, and often feel sad and stuck.

I want the truth of music. I want to pick up a guitatr on the spot in sing from the ehart without having to worry, I want to express myself, not just have that hobby. this is my life here, so i'm not sure if any you can at least offer me any advice as a musician to musician, or even offer me any help- but I figure I take this chance to be open and in hopes that another musical being will hear my plea in this world and genuinely want to help me into the right direction.
I know this is long but I am desperate for help, if any of you could take time out of your day to see my side.

I want this so badly, I want to create my life, I want these emotions to show themselves through the outlet just as my lyrics.

I won't give up because I can't but I'm literally fighting with my mind and abilities because I need more, I don't feel the connection with these teachers- these ways, this. I need more, I need it because I can do it.

I've had at leat five guitars over the last 7 years, and am still at 0.

Please help.
What about your previous lessons have been "nonsense"? Maybe if we can understand what you don't want in a teacher we can help you better?
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
I agree with MattyBoy. We are here to help you, and we will all do that to the best of our capabilities. But i think you have to be more specific with what you are having problems with. I hear you that you are saying that you haven't found any teacher that resonates well with you and that you don't go know how to go about becoming a better player that can write stuff that you are proud of, but we need really barebones information of what you are having problems with in order to help you the best way we can.

The only advice i can give you right now, which i don't know if you are already doing or not, but it's the advice i always go by myself.

Music is a form of language, as you said. It's a way to convey a message and/or emotions. The healthiest approach to learning music (in my opinion) is like when you learned your mother tongue. For me that is swedish, and when i learned swedish i didn't sit down and practiced the techniques of speaking, i didn't practice where my tongue should be for different words, what i did was that i listened to people (my parents) who could already speak and i tried to imitate them, by ear!

The same approach goes for music in learning to develop in a healthy way and being satisfied with yourself, in my opinion. You learn from the masters who are already great at playing (all the artists you enjoy) and then you try to imitate them on your instruments by listening. Just like a baby you might have problems with some words and then you have to put more work into those words and practice them very slowly (in this case "words" can be swapped out for phrases or licks). The connection between the ear and playing is the goal, it's just like the connection between your brain and your mouth, you don't think about what you are going to say, you just say it!

I'm sorry i might have gone into a bit too much philosophical way of thinking about it, but that's how i see music. It's another language you have to learn.

Hope that was helpful, i'll try my best to help if you get back with more details.

Best Regards
Sickz
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Your problem is that you're approaching music all wrong. You think it's all about spiritual and emotional expression and isn't. The people that are better than you are better than you because they focused on the practical side of things rather than worrying about a bunch of spiritual hokum and trying to find a 'guru'.
If you want to find a guru, go to India. You basically live with the guy and he teaches you everyday. It's really intensive and they make you practice heaps, but you've got to pay them and maybe cook their meals, clean their house and do other stuff while they practice.
Quote by CS_Fugee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1aVXtYI1A

Hi, all.. I'm a musician and I desperately want to improve and learn intensively the guitar and shredding as so. Music is my whole being and I feel like a phony saying that without my outlets expressing that for themselves. It's sad and it hurts me because I am being untrue to my one true love- and gift. I need someone to help me and guide me there. I love a lot of funk guitaraists, jazz guitarists, EVERY guitarists who has a concept of sound that hits me so, all sort to be fair. Not one particular style, but I want to be able to do that ^ someday. (D'angelo, soulmate funkadelic cover) And I feel sad and stuck because I have all these emotions that I know if I knew how to exploit musically would change my life and hopefully reach others- genuine emotions.

I'm not interested in anymore nonsense lessons, and no pun intended but I've gone through two guitar teachers now. I just turned 21 and while I know many are self taught, there's so much more I want to learn. I am a complex person and if I don't learn in an intensive way I will not excel, or find hope or see the light.

While my previous teachers have been nice people and gifted guitarists, I also feel they are not the teachers for me. Music is a very spiritiual thing and I need the help to convey my talents and sound from within to others through a guidance in an abundance.

I need a guru to help me or to guide me for that matter. I always try to find them but return unlucky and back to square 1.

Also, I'm interested in recording a demo at least, but I've got no musicians other than myself and write my own material. But again it's hard for me to write material I believe in or am proud of without being more adequate on things such as guitar and as a singer/songwriter, I don't want to be just that, I as to be a full fledged artist. I want to pick up a guitar someday and inspire like how Prince did or Hendrix or many others- while they are long shots, we're all human beings and we all have capabilities if we believe.

I'm full of angst and hope at the same time because I know there's so much more for me, but I feel stuck and artistically sad and it hurts my life because I need to get this guitar. I need to not just put my hands on two or three chords and pick them almost in-proficiently because it's what I've "learned" I need a lot of help.

I don't know if any of you could help me, but this is my artistic reach and plea and I'm in hopes someone or something could be my guidance or at least guide me to someone who can be. It's not about the money to be fair, on my end, and please just be honest musician to musician with me as music is my life and I am pursuing this not only as a career but it's my life literally.

It is the epitome of my whole being, but because I can't adequately express myself through such mechanism the way I want and know I can dream of/believe I can I am a starving and sad artist who is hungry for that knowledge. I see music literally, and can't even explain my hunger to others who don't understand. I go to music shops for hours on an end admiring the sounds and for years have been saying "One day I'll be that good, I hope, one day the sound will just come out with my feelings" as an artist I feel. But it's so hard for me, I need help. I'm sad because of this.

So I beg for you all reading to just be honest in response on what to do and where to go, because so many guitar teachers are out there, and gurus, and everyone has their gift, but a lot of it I've noticed are sales, or only promise you a "Well today we'll practice this and what do you want to learn??" no guide to technique, no nothing. Bare progress, bare truth, bare music, just lesson to listen. I need help. I see things like these :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xzolaURu-Y (this especially)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqt-pQNKrqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkBb-qiljCw&list=PLCHneFj1EAEfzdyQuIN9Alns5sCHr9LfK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4z4MT8wGKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK7YSxDonfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1LqukqnU0

Obviously people like Hendrix, but there's so much more beautiful musicians and their ways of composing music through sound that inspires me. I want to do the same. I mean think of people like Wyclef Jea, I love his concept of sound as we're influenced by the same sounds to a point- he has a lot of island influences. Think Cuban guitar, think reggae/kaiso/calypso/soukous(congolese), but I love every sound. I mean I listen to people from all over like Rodrigo y Gabriela, Grant Green, all sorts of "no name" musicians/artists have you and I desperately want to get there, but am sad and stuck. I need advice desperately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAHdwh9NCxc

I want to be myself and I just need someone or something musically to guide me there and to help me find it because I don't know which way to go. I hear so much music it actually deters me away from the world for better. It's the epitome of my being but I'm sad because I'm sick of saying I wish and picking up these teachers that I know spiritually as a musician I don't connect with. It usually turns into me breaking my pocket in hopes of someone guiding me to the truth and to myself and expression. I crave to be able to out pour these feelings as an artist, and often feel sad and stuck.

I want the truth of music. I want to pick up a guitatr on the spot in sing from the ehart without having to worry, I want to express myself, not just have that hobby. this is my life here, so i'm not sure if any you can at least offer me any advice as a musician to musician, or even offer me any help- but I figure I take this chance to be open and in hopes that another musical being will hear my plea in this world and genuinely want to help me into the right direction.

People often impede their own progress by taking themselves far too seriously.
Quote by Sickz
I agree with MattyBoy. We are here to help you, and we will all do that to the best of our capabilities. But i think you have to be more specific with what you are having problems with. I hear you that you are saying that you haven't found any teacher that resonates well with you and that you don't go know how to go about becoming a better player that can write stuff that you are proud of, but we need really barebones information of what you are having problems with in order to help you the best way we can.

The only advice i can give you right now, which i don't know if you are already doing or not, but it's the advice i always go by myself.

Music is a form of language, as you said. It's a way to convey a message and/or emotions. The healthiest approach to learning music (in my opinion) is like when you learned your mother tongue. For me that is swedish, and when i learned swedish i didn't sit down and practiced the techniques of speaking, i didn't practice where my tongue should be for different words, what i did was that i listened to people (my parents) who could already speak and i tried to imitate them, by ear!

The same approach goes for music in learning to develop in a healthy way and being satisfied with yourself, in my opinion. You learn from the masters who are already great at playing (all the artists you enjoy) and then you try to imitate them on your instruments by listening. Just like a baby you might have problems with some words and then you have to put more work into those words and practice them very slowly (in this case "words" can be swapped out for phrases or licks). The connection between the ear and playing is the goal, it's just like the connection between your brain and your mouth, you don't think about what you are going to say, you just say it!

I'm sorry i might have gone into a bit too much philosophical way of thinking about it, but that's how i see music. It's another language you have to learn.

Hope that was helpful, i'll try my best to help if you get back with more details.

Best Regards
Sickz

I agree 100% with this post.
Quote by Nietsche
Your problem is that you're approaching music all wrong. You think it's all about spiritual and emotional expression and isn't. The people that are better than you are better than you because they focused on the practical side of things rather than worrying about a bunch of spiritual hokum and trying to find a 'guru'.

I agree with this post also nothing is better than 100% committed practicing.
Quote by Sickz

Best Regards
Sickz

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, I appreciate it. I'm sorry I didn't go into complete detail but I mean, in terms of just having the ability to play without thinking and instead feeling- hasn't come to me yet. And I know practicing is key, but I don't even know what to practice. A lot of what I listen to, I have no idea how to convey and put that into my playing.

I have no idea how to feel it, and while I feel it inside I don't feel it outside yet because I can't play the sounds I want to. I don't know how to get better, or what should I be doing. I know learning is key, but I feel so stuck. And maybe I do take it very seriously because I'm sick of just giving up because I can't give up and shouldn't. I know practice is key but what am I to practice?

I'm just very lost. And I know I need to sit down and listen, but think of Prince for example or the first video I posted with D'angelo doing soulmate by P-Funk.. I don't know how to begin. I don't know what to do. Even when I listen to George Benson's "Tenderly" I'm in awe, Prince Nico Mbarga's Wayo Inlaw- with the guitars, I'm amazed because I wish I could create like that, because I hear those sounds internally, but can't seem to get them out on guitar.

I know with anything, learning comes from imitation, as language. But I just don't know which way to go, and I guess I don't actually need someone to guide me but it just seems the more I try I still can't get it. I can't seem to get better.

I can't seem to do what I want to do.

I know everyone started somewhere, but I don't even know where to start and again I've done lessons, but I have no clear path of how to get to all the places I'd like to go on this journey.

If that makes any sense, I just would like some insight, support, and some reassurance I'm working on the right things with my playing. I know it's easy to say imitate the sounds, but I can barely figure out the sounds being played- so I find it very difficult to do so.
Quote by Nietsche

This is a fair response but I mean everyone started somewhere, and I just know some people may have my approach, one video-d in which I know, he learned guitar in Cuba, and everything isn't about technique and learning the ins and outs, as learning is different for everyone. Techniques differ for everyone which is what enchants me about guitar.

For example, pianist Hiromi Uehara can play piano and obviously so could someone like Alicia Keys- but their approaches were completely different and so is their sound.

I know I need to focus on the practical side as well, but I just want to know how to improve and how to exactly do that- so I am grateful to have had you respond in such way because I often want to be practical but have trouble doing so which is why I don't know how to progress. I tend to think it's more than what it is.
You're saying you have absolutely no idea how to play what others are playing, nor create your own material? Well, have you tried trying to learn simple nursery rhymes by ear? Stuff like "twinkle twinkle little star", and "baa baa black sheep"? "Happy birthday"? The Jeopardy theme? Have you tried looking at sheet music? Do you know how to read tabs? Do you know the names of all the notes all over the neck?

Making music can be as simple as just picking a note and moving on from there. Don't be so afraid and angsty, drink some warm soothing tea, clear your mind, and hit a note.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
Last edited by MattyBoy 1337 at Feb 7, 2014,
Studies have shown that optimists learn faster than pessimists.

So change your mindset. Start focusing on what you CAN do instead of what you CAN'T do. Focus on the improvements you make not on how far you have to go before you are as good as you want to be.

Most of the people you listed have been musicians for at least a decade before you ever heard of them. Stop worrying that you can't play like them and start practicing so that ONE DAY you will be able to express yourself as feely as they do.

You say you can't learn by ear? Practice learning a song by ear.

Give yourself a chance. My advice is to just get on with it. Pick up your guitar and practice regularly all the time. If you feel like giving up because you can't play like your heroes...just remind yourself that's WHY YOU'RE PRACTICING...so that one day in the distant future you will be able to do that.

If you're feeling frustrated just remember that it takes hard work (it can be really fun hard work) and dedication, so get some or get out. Stop worrying and whining that you can't play like someone that has put in at least half a lifetime of practicing daily for hours on end.
Si
You just can't learn to play the guitar well in a blink of an eye. It takes years or decades to become good at something. As 20T said, you shouldn't quit because you can't do something. You practice to be able to do something. You posted a lot of songs. Start learning them. That's the only way to be able to play music - you need to play music. So just play and don't worry that much about your skills. You will improve but it will take time.

To be able to play what you feel, you need to have a good ear. You need to recognize the sounds you hear in your head and you need to be able to transfer them to the fretboard. Just learn songs by ear and your ear will improve. IMO a good ear is the best skill a musician can have.

Just learn to play your favorite songs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by 20Tigers
Studies have shown that optimists learn faster than pessimists.

So change your mindset. Start focusing on what you CAN do instead of what you CAN'T do. Focus on the improvements you make not on how far you have to go before you are as good as you want to be.

Most of the people you listed have been musicians for at least a decade before you ever heard of them. Stop worrying that you can't play like them and start practicing so that ONE DAY you will be able to express yourself as feely as they do.

You say you can't learn by ear? Practice learning a song by ear.

Give yourself a chance. My advice is to just get on with it. Pick up your guitar and practice regularly all the time. If you feel like giving up because you can't play like your heroes...just remind yourself that's WHY YOU'RE PRACTICING...so that one day in the distant future you will be able to do that.

If you're feeling frustrated just remember that it takes hard work (it can be really fun hard work) and dedication, so get some or get out. Stop worrying and whining that you can't play like someone that has put in at least half a lifetime of practicing daily for hours on end.

This man speaks nothing, but the truth. ^^^ I like how you wrote in your post about being pessimistic. That's the thing with learning an instrument you have to be positive, and comfortable with the level you're at but while at the same time aiming to achieve to be on a higher level. I think OP's problem is that he compares him self to other musicians too much if he stops doing that then maybe he'll make some progress!

The OP needs to set short term goals and long term goals he's lost and doesn't know what to do because he doesn't have any goals in mind. My advice to the OP of this thread would be to stop running into things blindly, and to think hard about what he wants to achieve with the guitar lay out a plan. Also to the OP stop comparing your self to the guitarist you admire instead respect that it took years of playing to get to the level they're at and aspire to one day play like them...

Stop whining, and take action bro! Learning an instrument takes dedication, and discipline most of the musicians that you talk about spent hours a day practicing they ate, slept, breathed, and shit music that's why they're so good at it. Honestly to the OP I don't think a teacher can take your playing in the right direction no matter how good he is if you don't have a specific goal in mind.. My questions to the TS is where do you see your playing in the next 5 years?

I've gotten pretty good in a year just by having a structured practiced schedule it's 3 hours long I change it every week to meet new goals, and techniques i'm learning. If i'm having a problem with something I don't complain about how much I suck at it I just work on it till i'm happy with whatever i'm working on, but at the same time I strive to be even better then the current level i'm on always!

You really need some direction in your playing even when developing a practice schedule you need to have specific goals in mind... Right now i'm working on being a great rhythm player what you need to do is set a goal and strive to reach it. I honestly think that no one on this forum can help you but you only you know the answer not us so figure it out.

By the way nothing beats hard, but smart work I'm 18 I've been playing for 1 year and a month yet I blow my friends that have been playing for 3 years out the water they've even admitted to me that i'm better than them. Nothing can beat the hours of quality practice you put into the guitar if you work hard you can achieve anything all it takes is perseverance, persistence, patience, and most importantly quality practice!
Last edited by Black_devils at Feb 8, 2014,
I appreciate the responses. I have a goal but its the end result someday, I don't know how to make smaller goals because I not know how to get to them in the first place. I just need guidance in terms of encouragement and what exactly to focus on. I have such a wide array of inspiration musically and it is great but harms my esteem because I just want to be able to do that already. I a singer and songwriter but hope to be. Multi instrumentalist like someone like prince ce and dangelo , I'm also in hopes of being a guitarist, as I am a singer.

I want to make music like all of these people. And don't know where to begin because practice chords I know but have no capability to actually piece them together into something g through guitar. Little less, when I listen to things like tenderly by George Benson I grow admired but confused. What do I focus on? At this point I can barely figure out rhythm and I just want guidance. I have problem practicing cause music is my life and I will dedicate it for hours

(sorry I'm on touchpad, sorry for short reply)
Quote by Black_devils
I blow my friends that have been playing for 3 years out the water
oh the importance of punctuation!!!!

needs a comma after "friends" and another after "years".
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
oh the importance of punctuation!!!!

needs a comma after "friends" and another after "years".

Not really great with my Grammar, but that's not the point of the thread lol you have a very dirty mind lmfaoooooooooooooooooo!
Last edited by Black_devils at Feb 8, 2014,
Quote by CS_Fugee
I appreciate the responses. I have a goal but its the end result someday, I don't know how to make smaller goals because I not know how to get to them in the first place. I just need guidance in terms of encouragement and what exactly to focus on. I have such a wide array of inspiration musically and it is great but harms my esteem because I just want to be able to do that already. I a singer and songwriter but hope to be. Multi instrumentalist like someone like prince ce and dangelo , I'm also in hopes of being a guitarist, as I am a singer.

I want to make music like all of these people. And don't know where to begin because practice chords I know but have no capability to actually piece them together into something g through guitar. Little less, when I listen to things like tenderly by George Benson I grow admired but confused. What do I focus on? At this point I can barely figure out rhythm and I just want guidance. I have problem practicing cause music is my life and I will dedicate it for hours

(sorry I'm on touchpad, sorry for short reply)

Usually my short term goals are something that I know I can accomplish within a month of practicing. I have a few short terms goals written out for the month of February try that.. Like have a long term goal that you want to accomplish by the end of the year then write down a bunch of short term goals that you want to accomplish by the end of the month that will lead you to your long term goal.
You're right. Sorry, it just cracked me up. I knew what you were saying and agree...

CS Fugee. Stop getting so worked up. Be inspired, not overawed.

Learn songs by ear. At the same time learn other songs by tab, or sheet music. It will take some time for your ear to develop. In the meantime it can be good to get some songs under your belt. Tenderly might be a challenge to learn but just start at the first note and keep working your way through until you can play the whole thing. There will be parts that are tricky and you will need to practice hard to get the finger mechanics down but just stick at it.

I really don't know what you want. Just get stuck in. You have it in you to play the way you want to play, you just have to put in the hard yards to get there. The goal you have in mind is a loooong way off. A smaller goal will be to learn one song well. As you are working toward that one goal you might find that there are passages that are difficult. You might make it a goal to improve your finger speed and accuracy so that you can play those passages more easily. You might find a song that has a challenging syncopated rhythm and you might make a new goal in that area.

Where to start - with the first note. Then move on to the next note and the next....etc.
Si
I understand this, but I don't know where to begin this is what I'm trying to get across. I can barely strum properly to figure out a rhythm, and I don't know how to pick that well to take on any of these but like you said don't give up and just start but I can't seem to find a plan. I have no idea what to learn to get to these long places, I have no idea how to solo, strum adequately, and can only do an A pentatonic scale pattern. I have no idea what that even does for me other than just help me practice that. I have no idea how to piece chords together. I know a bit of blue bossa and it may just even be a more simplified version. If you were to ask me what key its in I'd tell you no idea, just starts on the third fret. I'm being very honest here, so there's no misunderstanding. I tend to get frustrated with myself because then I go places and hear and see others play beautifully and I get so inspired yet down because I have no idea how to get there. What should my short term goal be for my inspiration? How can I learn something like I posted when I don't even know rhythms or solos or whatever else is involved. I'd just like steps, please. How can I learn techniques to guide me. I understand learning by ear but I honestly don't think I have that capability to learn any of these by ear yet.. Its possible but I'm a bit overwhelmed by thinking of that. Can barely read tab, and I can slowly read sheet music but not with guitar. It would take me a month to figure out the first note to something like tenderly...
Maybe buy a beginner guitar book. Something that teaches you the rhythm, notes, tab, chords, etc. Do you know the basic chords? If not, start with them. Then learn songs that use those chords. Learn barre chords and again learn songs that use them.

When learning by ear, start with simple songs. Figure out the chords and notes. Melody is just single notes so maybe figure out the melody first. First it's just trial and error. First just try to hear if the melody goes up or down and try to find the right note. Once you get better, you will start hearing the interval between the notes and you know exactly what you need to play to achieve the sound.

I would suggest learning at least some theory. I think it helps learning when you can name things you have just learned. Learn the note names and intervals. Remember to listen. It is important to be able to hear if you are playing a major or minor chord.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by CS_Fugee
I understand this, but I don't know where to begin this is what I'm trying to get across. I can barely strum properly to figure out a rhythm, and I don't know how to pick that well to take on any of these but like you said don't give up and just start but I can't seem to find a plan. I have no idea what to learn to get to these long places, I have no idea how to solo, strum adequately, and can only do an A pentatonic scale pattern. I have no idea what that even does for me other than just help me practice that. I have no idea how to piece chords together. I know a bit of blue bossa and it may just even be a more simplified version. If you were to ask me what key its in I'd tell you no idea, just starts on the third fret. I'm being very honest here, so there's no misunderstanding. I tend to get frustrated with myself because then I go places and hear and see others play beautifully and I get so inspired yet down because I have no idea how to get there. What should my short term goal be for my inspiration? How can I learn something like I posted when I don't even know rhythms or solos or whatever else is involved. I'd just like steps, please. How can I learn techniques to guide me. I understand learning by ear but I honestly don't think I have that capability to learn any of these by ear yet.. Its possible but I'm a bit overwhelmed by thinking of that. Can barely read tab, and I can slowly read sheet music but not with guitar. It would take me a month to figure out the first note to something like tenderly...

I've got you bro just from reading your post I can see that you really want to be great at the guitar. My question to you though is how long you've been playing, and also how long have you been going to lessons for? Are you a beginner or have you been playing on and off for the last couple of years, but anyways I can see that you need direction in your playing. You say that you don't understand how to pick and strum properly, and that you don't understand basic rhythms. From what I've gathered from your post I've come to a conclusion i'm going to post a link for a really great structured beginners course. While going through the course just take your time don't rush.

Here's the link

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Just follow the course trust me he's a really great teacher! You'll learn all the basics from this course, and after you've completed it you will have a solid foundation on the basics then you should have an idea of where you want to take your guitar playing skills just remember to take your time with the course, and not to rush.. Also if you want some strumming exercises I can post some down here when you reply.
Quote by CS_Fugee
I just need guidance in terms of encouragement and what exactly to focus on.

Ok, lets look at your list of problems. I'll point out the answer. Whether you listen or not is up to you. There's no magic trick to learning, you just have to put in a load of effort, so stop with the searching for gurus and magic bullets of advice that'll make you brilliant. It just takes loads and loads of work.

Ok, some practical advice follows. Notice I list exactly what you'll need to do, but not always why you need to. There is a why, of course, but you asked for concrete steps so just trust me....

Quote by CS_Fugee
I can barely strum properly to figure out a rhythm

You need to learn to strum. Pick a couple of beginner songs (google beginner songs for guitar). For example, stuff like 'Knocking on Heavens Door', Oasis songs, see Justins list here

Quote by CS_Fugee
and I don't know how to pick that well
Learn stuff like Radioheads 'Street Spirit', etc. Learning to play a few songs like this will teach your picking patterns over chord changes.

Quote by CS_Fugee
but I can't seem to find a plan. I have no idea what to learn to get to these long places, I have no idea how to solo, strum adequately
I've outlined your plan. There's enough tips above to keep you busy for a few years.

Quote by CS_Fugee
, and can only do an A pentatonic scale pattern. I have no idea what that even does for me other than just help me practice that. I have no idea how to piece chords together.
Learn to play some cover songs. You'll some day be working your way through a solo and you'll see that all the notes belong to the A pentatonic. Listen to "The Sword", it's all pentatonic riffs and melodies. If you don't know what the pentatonic is useful for, leave it for now and come back to it in a year or two.

Quote by CS_Fugee
I tend to get frustrated with myself because then I go places and hear and see others play beautifully and I get so inspired yet down because I have no idea how to get there.
You learn to play about 200 songs. Then you study some theory and exercises, and spend time experimenting with them. You practice for a few thousand hours. That's it, simple as that.

What should my short term goal be for my inspiration?
Learn a few cover songs. Start with a few simple open chord strumming songs. If you have an electric guitar, try a few nirvana songs. If you don't know a chord, look it up. If you can't learn by ear, look up the tab. Stick to simple songs and learn them.

How can I learn something like I posted when I don't even know rhythms or solos or whatever else is involved.
You start by learning basic rhythms, and basic solos. Then more advanced ones. Then really advanced ones. Then you start making up your own basic rhythms and solos. Then more advanced ones. You cannot skip any steps here.

I'd just like steps, please.

See above.

How can I learn techniques to guide me. I understand learning by ear but I honestly don't think I have that capability to learn any of these by ear yet.. Its possible but I'm a bit overwhelmed by thinking of that.
Try something easier to start with. You don't have to learn each song by ear, but the more you do, the better it'll be for you.

Can barely read tab, and I can slowly read sheet music but not with guitar. It would take me a month to figure out the first note to something like tenderly...
Well, the second note probably won't take you as long. Do you think reading on this forum is going to help you find it out faster?

Go learn lots of songs by tab. Do you think you'll learn tab by reading some how-to article or magic tip on a forum? Of course not. You learn to read tab by reading tab. I'd personally skip the written music for now as it'll only add to your workload. What you really need to do is just learn the beginner stuff before you try to learn all this complex stuff you dream of playing. Sorry to have to inform you of this, but if you actually wanna get anywhere, you will need to let go the idea o fyou being the dream guitar player, and go actually be a a horrible beginner, then a good beginner, then an intermediate player, and then a good player. If you work hard at it it'll only take 10 or 20 years.

The alternative is you can come up with some reasons why I'm wrong, continue doing what you do, and continue to be all frustrated with not being able to strum or play solos. You're currently in a position where you are afraid to play anything, because you'll expose for yourself how far you are from your dream. But you WILL have to go learn how to play guitar at some point. Or just quit.
Last edited by innovine at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by CS_Fugee
I understand this, but I don't know where to begin this is what I'm trying to get across....
...I can slowly read sheet music but not with guitar. It would take me a month to figure out the first note to something like tenderly...

You may have read the advice offered in this thread but you can not have understood it. Being optimistic means that you don't give up before you start because you think it will take you a month to figure out how to play the first note of a song on the guitar when you have the sheet music. It would not take ANYONE a month to figure out how to play the first note of a song if they had sheet music, a guitar. All they would need is a fretboard diagram showing the notes across the neck and an illustration showing the notes on a staff - all of which is available within a 5 second google search. My 8 year old niece would have accomplished the task in the amount of time it took you to complain that you couldn't do it. I'm sorry for the harsh words but the negativity is frustrating and until you learn to let go of that you will not make a lot of progress regardless of whether you have a great teacher or not.

When I first started learning I wanted to learn songs. I got tabs and chord sheets for songs I knew and I started at the beginning and slowly worked my way through the songs. I can't remember exactly how long it took me to learn a song let's say two months and even after that I would know what to play but I couldn't play it well - it sounded like balls. But everytime I sat down I came away feeling like I had learned something and was improving - and I was. So no more "I can't". The place to start is to pick up your guitar and play something.

No one knows how to strum, or can figure out rhythm, or can pick well when they start. That's just how it is, you learn by doing it.

There have been a lot of links offered with beginner guitar courses, advice given on where to start - the advice I offered was how I learned - I got a song (I think it was Stairway to Heaven)and started with the first note. Others have given other advice pretty much all of it will help you.

Anyway if you need more detail here....

First set aside about an hour and a half of practice time each day at least 6 days a week. During your practice time ensure you have NO INTERUPTIONS. You might take a five minute break after half an hour or so but until then - no ipad, no phone, no computer, turn it all off. You priority is practice. If you're at home with mum and dad then make sure your chores and homework is done first so they don't bust in and demand you put that stupid guitar down to do other shit. Put a do not disturb sign on your door if you must, but only use it when you're practicing.

Get a metronome.

Tune your guitar.

Start with a warmup. 3-5mins Something to get your fingers working.
Something like this all the way up the neck and then back down (with a metronome):

Google "guitar finger warm ups" or "finger strength exercises guitar" for other exercises. The idea is to warm up your fingers but also to develop finger independence accuracy and basic hand/finger strength. Change the exercises each week, or daily, whatever

Then do some stretches 3-5 minsYour fingers should be burning by the end. Time to stretch...Guitarist hand stretches

Don't know your scales? Learn them. http://www.cagedoctaves.com/blogozon102.html

Ear Training is essential. http://www.guitarworld.com/ultra-zone-steve-vais-course-ear-training-part-1 or just google "ear training exercises for guitar".

There are also a lot of sites like goodear.com that have ear training applications to help you.

Another great way to do this is to figure out songs. Start with easy songs and work your way up. And it doesn't matter if you have to loop a song or play it over and over an over to figure it out. If it takes you weeks to figure out just a few notes don't worry, it takes a while but if you dedicate 15-20 minutes daily to ear training then you WILL get better and better.

Can't figure out rhythm? Get a metronome, and practice a bunch of eighth note rhythms. In another thread a user called BlackDevils posted a good post in regard to developing strumming technique here it is... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32298591&postcount=6

Picking exercises...if you're using a pick then alternate picking is a good place to start. down up down up down up.....here's an article on alternate picking exercises that might give you some things to practice http://www.guitarworld.com/guitar-strength-ins-and-outs-supersonic-alternate-picking.

Songs!!! The whole point of learning to play the guitar is not to play exercises but to play songs. Most musicians start with songs. They eventually get to some of the exercises above when they realize their limitations on certain songs and want to work on certain mechanics but the point of all those exercises are to play songs better. Don't stop learning songs. Keep a list of songs as you learn them and practice them till they are perfect. USE YOUR METRONOME. Play along to the recording. Listen to what you're playing. Never stop learning new songs and challenging yourself. Practice songs you already know - rotate through your play list to keep it fresh, but then spend time learning new songs to add to your repertoire.

Yeah it takes time, accept that and get on with it.
Si
Sincerely thanking everyone for the great replies. Will reply individually when I can, I'm trying to find a part time gig to buy new gear and hopefully get to travelling. I'm going to respond individually.

As a female, a young woman rather, just 21, I hate the gender roles that come along with the guitar as well. It's assumed as an instrument - say go into a place like guitar center and they throw a few lines at you "All you need is open chords" and then you have people like Taylor Swift and a few other singer-songwriters who can strum a bit and sing. But that's not me. I like people like Nai Palm,

(Watch from 56 seconds to 1:08 to see what I mean, I have no idea how to even do this, and i'm sure its relatively simple as she's just jamming out) I have no idea how she's getting that percussive sound nor the strumming sound- i'm a mess but I am in progress, which is why I genuinely am being open with you all who are experienced, because I just want to be understood. I appreciate the responses for this reason because I am a handful and probably do not have the most guitar adequate vernacular.

I'd like to be able to play like her soon, she's quite good. And just jamming out which is what I want to be able to do when I perform, not just stiffly stumble upon notes and chords because I want to "get them right"

Even her concept of rhythm and percussion-its all very foreign to me because I cant apply my hands to that sound, while I feel it- I can yet do it. She is Nai Palm of Hiatus Kaiyote, a singer-songwriter/guitarist.

I just need guidance and will sit down and practice everyday.

Lauryn Hill, and even when Amy Winehouse circa Frank- she did her thing. I loved it, because while these may not be "adequate" 'guitarists' they had their own sound, and own styling. While I'd like to be a proficient guitarist like the guy in the below video or even D'Angelo (he can SHRED, his Soulmate Funkadelic cover inspires)

I love the guitar as it is. I want to compose like Benson, and Flamme Kappaya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uETt8BsFzQ

And the likes.

Also, I'm a young Black woman, and while this has no significance to me, I also get stereotyped into a Tracy Chapman category when for starters, I am not even familiar with her repertoire. I'm sure she's a talented woman but it's just all very sickening, annoying, and closed minded, based on what I have heard we are completely different sounds-but just on first glance and ignorance that's what the assumption is. "Oh India Arie!! Tracy Chapman!!" None of the above. I'm trying to shred like The Meters, like Prince, like this guy Flamme Kappaya, D'Angelo, etc. I don't mean any Little Wayne "I'm going to pretend to be a rockstar with this guitar sh**" nonsense either. That's not real, that is an image.

I respect those my age like Tori kelly, because much like me she has her own ability, and that's why I loved Amy Winehouse back in the day because she was fresh and new. Hip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI5YW1u3y18

(While she's best accompanied by the wonderful Femi Temowo, she did her own thing which fit well for her, and while I am not in hopes to have her level of proficiency, I'd like to come into my own the same way she did)

Anyhow, I'm going to reply to you all individually. I have a buzzy nylon string, an acoustic, and an electric thats not that good, but I WILL give my all. And I had a Fender amp, mustang I- but all the sounds were bizarre and none had a clear setting, all the outputs weren't the raw sound, maybe much to my ignorance, I couldn't figure out how to not get the distortion effects off and just have a clear sounding amp without reverb. I will not give up, you all are inspiring.

When I sing I want to hold my guitar with confidence, preferably electric, but I love the nylon strings more- however, either way when I sing, I want to be so confident and comfortable in my abilities, and be able to do great playing along with my singing.
I'm going to post a video of me playing not judgements no such thing as negative remarks to be honest at such stage and brutally honest is okay!
some great responses in this thread, OP doesnt seem to be listening (maybe too busy talking about their self) but i've taken alot from it, so thanks peeps!
Sorry CS Fugee I wasn't too inspired by Nai Palm. I'm not trying to put her down but she didn't seem like anything I have any interest in hearing more from. I can give you some examples of girls with great guitar skills and a unique musical style of their own.

St Vincent is the first on my list. Diverse is a good word to describe her musical inclination. I'm going to post two examples to show a small part of her range as a guitarist and musician...In the second video click the link in the lower left corner at the start of the video to take you to 3:35 where the song starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwyrZAxsc0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF95szVphME

Gabriela from the duo Rodrigo y Gabriela is pretty good...here are a couple of videos where you can see her mad skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNc5o9TU0t0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUYQMslOobw

Then you have Kaki King
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwkyDyyFrIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbELmLNj-BY

That chick from Screaming Females rocks harder than just about any other rocker out there at the moment. I just hope they meet up with a rock producer that really knows how to bring their essence to the surface rather than trying to grind them into something he thinks the record execs will be happy with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETvxuBi_Eno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASrguE9GW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE0BWA5LZYc

The thing is if you learn about the journey some of these girls took...St Vincent started when she was 12 and took lessons for at least three years, she has been a professional musician for a loooong time and practiced like a obsessed person to improve.

Garbriela went to Ireland with Rodrigo thinking they would get gigs in pubs only to find they weren't wanted so they had to busk on the street every waking hour just to earn enough money to eat and have a place to sleep. A few years of playing guitar for breakfast lunch and dinner will get you good.

The point is they worked their asses off and that's the only way. But be inspired, be enthused, look up to your idols, and love music. Just don't feel like you're no good just because you have not yet spent every waking hour for three years straight playing guitar.
Si
Here's something spiritual...since you want to find a spiritual component to this elusive music.

All of your future destiny is unlocked by you. Saying "I want x y z" is fine, but at some point, you'll see that the secret is, that the things you say "Yes" to today, will shape your future going forward. You will have to grow up and effect the change that you seek.

You're akin to a baby, that can't stand on their own two feet yet.

Saying "No" keeps things as they are. Means no change from the normal.

To wit:

I'm not interested in anymore nonsense lessons

I've gone through two guitar teachers now.

if I don't learn in an intensive way I will not excel, or find hope or see the light.

I've heard what you want and need, and those are well and good, however, I haven't seen anything about what you'll put into it, what you'll give into the transaction. Where are you? It can't be everyone else, where are YOU?

Best,

Sean
Hey Fugee.

I came across this thread and felt the urge to reply because I feel that your desire really comes across in your writing. I'd like to say that at one point I was just like you. I would complain about how none of the teachers I had would care and I really wanted to be a great guitar player. I was into Steve Vai's 10 Hour Workout practicing for 45-50 hours a week. I wanted to play guitar great so badly but just like you I struggled with technique for years and still do. It just seemed like no matter how much I practiced I didn't get any better.

The one thing that I would advise you to do is simple and it's change your beliefs right now. You want something spiritual out of guitar then take this.

YOUR AMBITION TO BECOME A GREAT GUITAR PLAYER IS RUINING YOUR ABILITY TO ENJOY THE PRESENT MOMENT.

YOU ARE PLAYING FOR THE FUTURE AND THIS IS GOING TO LEAD TO INTENSE DEPRESSION.

YOU ARE JUDGING YOURSELF FAR TO CRITICALLY AND ITS DESTROYING YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE ACTIVITY.

It's okay to take guitar seriously but I can read in your posts that you seem to be suffering.
You seem to have created an identity for yourself based off of negative interpretations such as "I can't do this". This is going to hinder your progress more than anything. You have created your own mental barrier. You can't become a great guitar player until you've removed this.

If you want guitar to be a spiritual practice then take this advice. The next time you practice focus on your thoughts. The minute you catch the mind dwelling on past experiences, making judgements, and other nonsense STOP PLAYING.

When you can play guitar simply for the sake of the activity and not add any sort of mental interpretation to what it is that you're doing then that is when you'll be ready to start intense practice. When you can play guitar for hours on end without any judgement simply for the sake of the activity then you're joy is no longer based off of the future.

You're letting your ambition kill you and trust me, if you don''t change your belief systems then can potentially lead to that like it did for me.
Last edited by dannydawiz at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by GoldenGuitar

If you want to find a guru, go to India. You basically live with the guy and he teaches you everyday. It's really intensive and they make you practice heaps, but you've got to pay them and maybe cook their meals, clean their house and do other stuff while they practice.

Is that what George Harrison did?
Get a slowdowner program like Transcribe and learn songs you like a bar at a time until you have the complete song, then get it up to speed. It's called transcribing.

This is the painstaking way just about all the greats learn.

You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
CS_Fugee: there's no magic that's going to happen in a divine explosion that will make you suddenly able to express yourself on the guitar the way you want to.

It's hard work. It's baby steps first. It's open chords. It's progression along many stages but only when you're ready. Until you understand this you will get nowhere.

The spiritual side of music is personal to you. You can't surely expect a guitar teacher to help you with that.
There was this guy who complained that, after going through a lot of lessons in justinguitar.com, when he finally so believe he was ready for being an "intermediate" after being a "beginner" for so long, the first lesson made him disappointed..

He said the first intermediate lesson was "economy in motion". That means, going back to the 1-2-3-4 exercise but this time trying to focus and making sure his fingers doesn't go higher than half an inch. He was very disappointed, and he whined why the hell wasn't that economy thing taught wayback in the beginning, because he now has to unlearn most of the thing he learned before.

The answer he got was, all the things he learned were designed for beginners. Newbs have no idea of the dedication needed to watch and train their fingers (even at the expense of the whole duration of the practice) the economy of motion. That's why the lessons given were what he as a newb NEED: lessons that made him feel he was accomplishing something. And that's just the economy of motion, a tip of the iceberg.

Maybe that is why, CS_Fugee, you get frustrated. You are NOT yet a musician, you're just someone who appreciates music. Your previous teacher may just have given you what many of their new students need, a springboard. Pentatonic scale, the most common thing both great and lazy teachers first teach. Why? Probably, many teach it so the student would feel as if he is a step farther than being a total guitar idiot.

The stuff innovine and 20Tigers gave you, to a student who is not a total newb (finally got the discipline not just in his belt, but in his spine) would take those things for MONTHS, even YEARS. Search youtube for a guy named Pebber Brown, he has loads of great stuff. Also, watch how he badmouths those who asks "aren't there anything more?". P.Brown says, "Practice these things and come back after 6 months, show me in a video you can do these things perfectly, and ask again. Otherwise, go f_ck yourself."

Maybe that is what all that 'boring' practice gives you. The final connection of your head (with eyes closed), your voice, your fingers, then your guitar.
I am curious if the OP followed ANY of the advice, or if he is still looking around on forums for help
Lots of great advice here. I hope OP follows it. By the way, OP, Im sure there were things other than playing guitar that you were once very new at and had no idea how to progress, but managed to find a way. :-)
"You're an individual and so are all of these guitars – it's really difficult for somebody else to tell you what's going to be right for you." - Revenge of the Naked Ape