First of all, I want to apologize because this question has been asked hell lotta times already, but everyones' preferences are special and I'd like to get an answer that would suit mine.

I gave up playing guitar about 4 years ago and sold my amp and the effects processor because I lost interest in music.

I never had much cash to spend on gear and used the following equipment: LTD EC-1000 Deluxe (got it as a b-day present), some awful Ibanez amp and Zoom G2 (which I found extremely flexible and liked how my guitar sounded plugged into it).

Now I want to get back to playing and I'd like to buy a budget sound effects pedal/processor with a decent modern distortion option to be able to play and sometimes record through my PC and speakers.

I'm going to play mostly metal stuff ranging from Metallica to Veil of Maya.

I don't have time for gigs or a band so my guitar stuff will always stay at home.

I know that budget processors modify sound in a pretty much similar way but I'm sure there is something worth paying attention to.

Line 6 Pod 2.0 seems to be a good choice but it's really hard to find nowadays and it's sold for about 300$ here in Russia. I'm not sure if it's a fair price.

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what are the best alternatives I should look into buying.
Look for a Used POD XT or POD X3 much better than the 2.0. You can get the Bean versions cheap, but the XT/X3 live are nice because it is a pedal board and you can switch quickly between settings.

I know prices are different here, but I bought an XT bean for $65 last year off ebay.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As well as the Line 6 stuff, the Zoom G3 or 5 would be a huge upgrade from your current G2.

However, as you're considering recording, you should go read the stickied threads over in the Recordings forum. If you were to get a decent interface, you'd be able to use software VSTs for all the effects & amp simulations you need.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
They sell a brand new Zoom G3 for 190 bucks in a retail shop here.
I didn't even know it existed (been outta music for too long, huh?) and the previews on YouTube make it really attractive to me.

There's only one used Line 6 Pod X3 on our local ebay selling for 230 bucks.
So after browsing for more effects processors, I came up with an idea.
Assuming I won't be recording music often, there is an insanely cheap option which I think could suit my needs.
I've got an iPhone and iPad. I found many youtube demos of a so-called "iRig" device which seems to be able to produce a good high gain sound with no additional amplification.

It costs like 6 times less than a Zoom G3, but I'd like to know if there is a huge gap between those devices.
It depends on the interface there are lots of brands out there Line 6 and peavey just to name a few. which were you looking to get?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Verral
So after browsing for more effects processors, I came up with an idea.
Assuming I won't be recording music often, there is an insanely cheap option which I think could suit my needs.
I've got an iPhone and iPad. I found many youtube demos of a so-called "iRig" device which seems to be able to produce a good high gain sound with no additional amplification.

It costs like 6 times less than a Zoom G3, but I'd like to know if there is a huge gap between those devices.

Yes, there is a huge gap:

One is a high-spec effect unit designed to be used in conjunction with an amp, but which can also be used as a standalone unit utilising the many in-built amp sims to practice through headphones as well as being able to act as an interface to allow you to record.

The other is an interface that allows you to practice guitar through your iPad/iPhone, using software VSTs.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud