Lace used to make a series of Strat-style guitars called the Huntington. From what I heard, they seemed like decent guitars and they were very inexpensive. Being from a company that makes pickups, I always imagined they'd sound fairly good.

I saw a Huntington on eBay that looks unique in that it has a HSS pickup combination (rather than the HH combination that seemed to be common for most Huntingtons). The only odd thing about this one is that the description says it has a Lace Sensor Silver in the neck position, but that does not seem to be the case based on the picture (the neck pickup has pole pieces). What do you all think?
A link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291071816019
Well; I thought that considering how little those guitars cost, the idea was that you bought the Lace pickups and got the rest of the guitar for free. If that sounds like a good deal for you, then by all means, go for it. At that price, you really cannot go wrong. At the very least, you will get three Lace pickups.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Good point- the Lace Alumitone HB alone goes for $99 new. I have 3 of the Lace Alumitone singlecoiils- which sound nearly the same as the HB- in a maple hollowbody, and they kick ass.

And that IS an Alumitone HB in the picture of that guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah, I was thinking that I probably couldn't go wrong with the price of this guitar. If the neck pickup is a Lace pickup, it makes me wonder what it is though - The only Lace pickup I know of with pole pieces is the Holy Grail.
I see all kinds of typos and errors on listings. I was just looking at an auction for a Malden Bulldozer (an SG clone)- the guy called it a Schecter Malden Bulldozer. AFAIK, Malden is a small maker out of California with no connections to Shechter whatsoever.

But, mistake or not on the singlecoils, there is no other pickup on he market that looks like an Alumitone.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 7, 2014,
I'm not referring to the alumitone in the bridge.. I have no doubt about that one. I'm referring to the neck pickup - The ad says the neck pickup is a Lace Sensor Silver. The Lace Sensor Silver should look like this:

However, the neck pickup on this guitar has pole pieces..
No, I got what you're saying.

I'm just saying that the value of the Alumitone alone accounts for more than half of the asking price of the guitar. IOW, even if the seller is wrong about the identity of the other pickups, odds are good you're getting a good deal.

As for the neck pickup, perhaps he merely took off the cover.

He says the neck pup is a Holy Grail. If you look on Lace's website the Holy Grails are indeed shown with exposed pole pieces. There does appear to be a logo stamped above the pole pieces on it as well. It looks pretty legit overall.
...kinda wish my friend would have bought my explorer today, I'd snatch that thing up myself, though at that price, it probably has terrible tuners, bridge, nut, wiring and pots. Buuut, cheap way to get just the pickups, I guess lol
I don't think a cheap guitar necessarily means bad parts. My first electric was a $200 Lotus Strat copy (which I bought new) - Nothing too fancy, but it seemed like a decent guitar. Stayed in tune fairly well and played well. So $135 for a used electric doesn't seem too bad.
Quote by CalicoSkies
I don't think a cheap guitar necessarily means bad parts. My first electric was a $200 Lotus Strat copy (which I bought new) - Nothing too fancy, but it seemed like a decent guitar. Stayed in tune fairly well and played well. So $135 for a used electric doesn't seem too bad.

Well, I know cheap doesn't always mean bad, there are always those guitars like the Peavey T-60 that go under the radar, but still not very likely to be the best stuff in the world.
I placed a bid on this guitar and won the auction. I'm looking forward to playing it once it arrives.
Looking forward to your NGD!

Quote by CalicoSkies
I placed a bid on this guitar and won the auction. I'm looking forward to playing it once it arrives.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good those guitars play and sound. The Holy Grail is a beautifully designed pickup through and through-enjoy!!!
Quote by matt@lacemusic
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good those guitars play and sound. The Holy Grail is a beautifully designed pickup through and through-enjoy!!!

I used to have an electric with a set of 3 Holy Grail pickups (HG-1000 in the neck & middle and HG-1500 in the bridge) - I did enjoy those pickups.
The guitar arrived today. It indeed looks to be in good condition and plays nice, and sounds fairly decent as well.

One thing I didn't expect was that the inside of the box it came in, as well as the gig bag, reek of cigarette smoke. The guitar itself also lightly has the smell, and after playing it for a few minutes, my hand somewhat had the smell too.. Any suggestions on how to sanitize and de-odor a guitar?
HNGD! Enjoy it!

Stores and shippers re-use those boxes, so you often get one that reeks of something. It is par for the course. Try Febreeze.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
It's definitely a decent guitar, and the pickups sound fairly good (not quite as bright/glassy as other Strat pickups - they seem to have a bit more midrange/bass, but a good sound in their own right). I've used Holy Grail pickups and Lace Sensor Golds in other guitars, so I was a bit familiar with them already. The Alumitone humbucker in the bridge is surprisingly punchy and high-output.

There's no shielding on the inside of the pickguard, but it probably doesn't need much shielding, as the pickups are fairly quiet anyway.

At ~$180, I think this guitar is definitely a great value. It's a very decent guitar for the price.
Score!