Hey guys, I've never had to buy a new nut before so I figured I'd ask before I bought one. It'll be going on an LTD EC-1000. I noticed all kinds of different nuts on GC and I do know what kind to go, and that there are white ones and black ones... I'd need it to be a black one.

Thanks

EDIT: Might as well put this in one post. I'm also replacing the pickups in my guitar and I need three 500K pots and one .047 cap... Any know where to get some reasonably priced ones that work well? Thanks agaim
Last edited by SMB13 at Feb 7, 2014,
Ok, that stuff about the pickups was Chinese to me. I don't know why you're replacing the pots if you're replacing the pickups? You know you can just solder the wires to your old volume and tone pots. Those are pretty much universal. I think...?

Anyway, to what I do know about: The nut.

Ok, best thing is to just go to GC, bring your guitar, and ask the guitar tech. Having lived in Ohio, I know there's plenty of GCs there.

If you can't make it there and/or insist on ordering it, I believe it's called AllParts, which is GC's brand (think Walmart brand food). Get their black nut.

In case you were wondering, the black one is made of a hard plastic (I think?) while the white one is made of bone. Bone will last longer, but the plastic one should hold out for years without a problem, so there's not much of a difference there.

I'm also warning you: Get some sandpaper and super glue before you do this, and preferably watch a video. Installing a new nut takes some modification, as they aren't all as standard as we'd like them to be. In all reality, it probably won't fit at all right away, and if you don't make the string-slots big enough, you'll snap strings like nobody's business (which is frustrating as all hell at nearly $10 a set).
Last edited by mjones1992 at Feb 8, 2014,
The EC-1000 shipped with either EMG's or passive SD's. It sounds like he's swapping out the active EMG's, which use 25k pots, for some passive humbuckers, which use 500k pots and a different cap.

Try Guitarfetish for the parts, and be sure to add a bridge grounding wire.

Also, does your EC-1000 have a standard nut or an Earvana compensated nut? I'd look into Graphtech black Tusq, because they have a model for Les Paul style guitars and they'll sound better than cheap graphite (black Tusq is their ethical ivory alternative).

Why are you replacing the nut though?

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/black-tusq-xl/black-tusq-xl-guitar-nuts
Quote by -MintSauce-
The EC-1000 shipped with either EMG's or passive SD's. It sounds like he's swapping out the active EMG's, which use 25k pots, for some passive humbuckers, which use 500k pots and a different cap.

Exactly this. Going from active EMG's to passive Lace pickups.

I will also be having the nut put on for me, so no worries there. I'm getting a new nut because the old one has faded over time (not sure which mine had, possibly earvana I believe?) from having it spaced too much (from having thicker strings put on). Now I have some string resonance issues because of it. I adjusted action but I still get rattle through my amp and some loss of sustain/tuning stability.

I was looking at the Graphtech Black Tusq but I didn't know if most nuts were universal not (at least, from a Les Paul to an LTD Les Paul). The Graphtec does sound more appealing than just a plastic nut though, lol.
Last edited by SMB13 at Feb 8, 2014,
If you're buying replacement caps (first see what kind you have now), just look on ebay. A cap-is-a-cap, so long as they have the same cap value and they cost pennies, so it's mainly about shipping. You can probably buy 10 on ebay cheaper than one at a music store (and then give them to your friends, or consider adding a treble bypass cap on the volume...)
Quote by timbo63
If you're buying replacement caps (first see what kind you have now), just look on ebay. A cap-is-a-cap, so long as they have the same cap value and they cost pennies, so it's mainly about shipping. You can probably buy 10 on ebay cheaper than one at a music store (and then give them to your friends, or consider adding a treble bypass cap on the volume...)

Well, seeing as how I can only get my pickups from Lace, I was actually going to order the caps and pots (and some strings, lol) off of Amazon. They've got pretty good shipping deals and prices, plus they sell push/pull pots in 3 packs so that works perfect for me.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Obviously check by measuring your current nut. I'd be inclined to go for the PT-6643-00 (43x6mm), because it's already slotted:
http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/black-tusq-xl/product-detail/pt-6643-00-black-tusq-nut-6-stg-electric-nut-43-x-6?id=3d316ce7-0c87-40a0-b524-7b5a7f334f87

That one is actually perfect. Just did some research and my nut is 42mm so that's about spot on. Sweet, thanks for your help guys