So tomorrow I have three college auditions for vocals, bass clarinet, and classical guitar.

Classical guitar is the one i'm scared for the most because I have the least knowledge in that field of guitar. i'm more of a electric guy. and my theory, fretboard knowledge, and sight reading aren't all that great.

But it says I have to play all major and minor scales with their triads. Do I just play one scale shape I know chromatically all the up the fretboard for both major and minor scales? and can someone give me an example on right arpeggios colleges might want to see in an audition.

I talked to the guy running the audition and I told I didn't know if I should audition because of my little knowledge. But he said to do so so he can get me a good teacher. So I guess I shouldn't be freaking out too bad....

But will this work for me tomorrow? and again can someone give me an example of right hand arpeggios?
Well, I'm a bit uncertain how you're going to attack bass clarinet if your, "theory and sight reading skills aren't that great". I really though that people who couldn't read music, found solace with the guitar, (and a capo).

Singing is mostly by ear, but then again you need to know your vocal range and be able to pick it out of a choral arrangement. In a lot of cases, people always seem to know, (or think they're supposed to be singing), the prime melody line.

At it most basic, "arpeggio", would be picking individual notes while holding a chord. The more advanced form of arpeggio, you should know as, "sweep picking".

I really can't answer many of these questions in the way it seems you're needing to hear the answers. But, I don't expect that the answer to "knowing all major and minor scales and their triads", is a question of using one position, and fingering it up and down the fret board exactly in the same pattern.

Even folkies know several different I, IV, V chord shapes, to play different keys in the open position. (C, D, E, F G, A). Do you know anything about the "CAGED" system?

Best I can do is wish you good luck, a say you should probably stay away from power chord and pentatonic histrionics.

Take a deep breath, relax, and go for it. The worst that can happen is, you get sent home to try again next semester, or you get a scolding on how much catching up you need top do.

Now the old time army induction physicals back in the 60's, they were enough to cause many a sleepless night beforehand......

When you got a passing grade on one of those, the next stop could have been Viet Nam.
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, I'm a bit uncertain how you're going to attack bass clarinet if your, "theory and sight reading skills aren't that great". I really though that people who couldn't read music, found solace with the guitar, (and a capo).

Singing is mostly by ear, but then again you need to know your vocal range and be able to pick it out of a choral arrangement. In a lot of cases, people always seem to know, (or think they're supposed to be singing), the prime melody line.

At it most basic, "arpeggio", would be picking individual notes while holding a chord. The more advanced form of arpeggio, you should know as, "sweep picking".

I really can't answer many of these questions in the way it seems you're needing to hear the answers. But, I don't expect that the answer to "knowing all major and minor scales and their triads", is a question of using one position, and fingering it up and down the fret board exactly in the same pattern.

Even folkies know several different I, IV, V chord shapes, to play different keys in the open position. (C, D, E, F G, A). Do you know anything about the "CAGED" system?

Best I can do is wish you good luck, a say you should probably stay away from power chord and pentatonic histrionics.

Take a deep breath, relax, and go for it. The worst that can happen is, you get sent home to try again next semester, or you get a scolding on how much catching up you need top do.

Now the old time army induction physicals back in the 60's, they were enough to cause many a sleepless night beforehand......

When you got a passing grade on one of those, the next stop could have been Viet Nam.

haha, no, i've had 8 years experience with music and music theory. My bass clarinet and vocal auditions are fine, it was just my guitar audition I was worried about.

I just didnt know what it ment by right hand arpeggios. and the scales thing ill just have to wing....
Quote by McZaxon
So tomorrow I have three college auditions for vocals, bass clarinet, and classical guitar.

Classical guitar is the one i'm scared for the most because I have the least knowledge in that field of guitar. i'm more of a electric guy. and my theory, fretboard knowledge, and sight reading aren't all that great.

But it says I have to play all major and minor scales with their triads. Do I just play one scale shape I know chromatically all the up the fretboard for both major and minor scales? and can someone give me an example on right arpeggios colleges might want to see in an audition.

I talked to the guy running the audition and I told I didn't know if I should audition because of my little knowledge. But he said to do so so he can get me a good teacher. So I guess I shouldn't be freaking out too bad....

But will this work for me tomorrow? and again can someone give me an example of right hand arpeggios?

If it says you have to know all the major and minor scales, you will usually just be asked a few. Ascending and descending for two octaves of specified scale is usually the standard. For the triads, it could mean that you must be able to play the scale arpeggiating in triads. It doesn't seem like guitar is your main audition anyway, so don't stress and good luck