I am looking at an amp set up for gigging and although most of me thinks this is a dumb question, I don't know enough about amps to know for sure.
I am thinking of buying an AC15 to start with which I know will be ok for smaller gigs but I also know that it will struggle with a larger gig and a louder drummer. I am wondering if I bought a second AC15 and ran them in stereo for the larger gigs/venues, will I get the same volume as an AC30 will give?
I certainly know how loud an AC30 is and I know that if I go for that it will be overkill in some situations and I won't be able to run it at the volume that amp requires to sound good, which is how I came up with the idea of an AC15 for small gigs and two AC15's for larger gigs.

Will this work or will it just sound like two 15watt amps? Does it literally add up to 30 or not?
My apologies if this is truly a dumb question. I should learn more about amps I guess but hopefully your replies will help me understand this.
You will have a bigger sound from the two separate amp heads instead of the usual 1 head to 2 cabs in stereo. If you are worried of not sounding good in larger gigs, most places that large should have their own PA system so just mic up your amps. How are you planning on running 2 amp heads at the same time? Get a second cab and hook it up to your AC15 if its possible. Then mic it through the PA system. Hope this helps.
Miccing is the way to go. Most gigs will force you to mic your amp anyways because it makes the soundguy's life easier.

Really between the AC30 and 15 you're missing headroom and a tiny bit of volume.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Miccing is the way to go. Most gigs will force you to mic your amp anyways because it makes the soundguy's life easier.

Really between the AC30 and 15 you're missing headroom and a tiny bit of volume.

this.
If you like the ACs and can afford the 30, get that. As a local gigging musician, it's less hassle to carry less gear. My AC15 takes up most of the back of my car and it's heavy enough. I would hate to carry it twice but no. two AC15s do not equal an AC30, they're quite different beasts.
Last edited by UnmagicMushroom at Feb 8, 2014,
From a mathematical standpoint, pretty much identical. How that plays out in the real world is open to far too many variables for anyone to give you an answer with any certainty.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by darrenram1
You will have a bigger sound from the two separate amp heads instead of the usual 1 head to 2 cabs in stereo. If you are worried of not sounding good in larger gigs, most places that large should have their own PA system so just mic up your amps. How are you planning on running 2 amp heads at the same time? Get a second cab and hook it up to your AC15 if its possible. Then mic it through the PA system. Hope this helps.

I was actually talking about using two AC15 combo's running in stereo from, for example a stereo chorus pedal or something similar.
Thank you for your replies everyone. I guess an AC30 is the way to go then.
Quote by Arby911
From a mathematical standpoint, pretty much identical. How that plays out in the real world is open to far too many variables for anyone to give you an answer with any certainty.

Basically this.

BUT generally speaking, it's not really the best idea. Just get the 30 if you feel you're going to need cleans at higher volume, or mic your amp.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Backtrackin'
I am looking at an amp set up for gigging and although most of me thinks this is a dumb question, I don't know enough about amps to know for sure.
I am thinking of buying an AC15 to start with which I know will be ok for smaller gigs but I also know that it will struggle with a larger gig and a louder drummer. I am wondering if I bought a second AC15 and ran them in stereo for the larger gigs/venues, will I get the same volume as an AC30 will give?
I certainly know how loud an AC30 is and I know that if I go for that it will be overkill in some situations and I won't be able to run it at the volume that amp requires to sound good, which is how I came up with the idea of an AC15 for small gigs and two AC15's for larger gigs.

Will this work or will it just sound like two 15watt amps? Does it literally add up to 30 or not?
My apologies if this is truly a dumb question.
I should learn more about amps I guess but hopefully your replies will help me understand this.

it depends on how far you want to go to get your answer and what models you will adopt for the mathematics. there is also the matter of real output vs. rated output and what kinda equipment (like speakers) you are running. the question is not completely straight forward, it's not a dumb question at all but it is a subtle one.

lets just say there are ways to make the output look the same via mathematics, but in reality there will be differences and there is no hard way to tell which one would be louder unless you just make an actual comparison with dB meter.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks
I really do appreciate the replies.
I'm more than happy to buy an AC30. I understand a bit better now. I guess my idea was over complicated anyway and it would definitely cost more.
thanks for everyone's help.