I play alot of metal/hard rock. I wanted to get a more 'metal' tone out of my Epiphone Les Paul Studio cuz the epiphone alnico classics aren't cutting it, especially for distortion. I am thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom or SH-8 Invader. Just wondering if anyones tried it or if its a good idea. Which is a better choice? What will give me a better metal tone? I would only be getting a new bridge pickup, because I don't use the Neck enough for it to be worth buying a new pickup.

I play alot of Avenged Seveenfold and My Chemical Romance and would like something along their sound.

I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.
Quote by sikorad15
I play alot of metal/hard rock. I wanted to get a more 'metal' tone out of my Epiphone Les Paul Studio cuz the epiphone alnico classics aren't cutting it, especially for distortion. I am thinking of getting a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom or SH-8 Invader. Just wondering if anyones tried it or if its a good idea. Which is a better choice? What will give me a better metal tone? I would only be getting a new bridge pickup, because I don't use the Neck enough for it to be worth buying a new pickup.

I play alot of Avenged Seveenfold and My Chemical Romance and would like something along their sound.

I have a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2.

My suggestion would be Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB, it sounds great for heavier stuff when combined with a mahogany guitar. Besides both bands you mentioned actually use it.
I like the SH-6 in a LP, I would stay away from the SH-8 especially in a LP, they sound very muddy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
SH6 and a new amp.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
It would be best to first try the guitar through a nicer amp to make sure it's the pickups that aren't doing what you want.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Carrot
SH6 and a new amp.

Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^.

The amp may be one of your problems.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've owned the Custom and the Invader and I didn't particularly like either one.

I agree, get a JB or a Distortion. I would go for a JB out of the two for the tones you want. It's looser and more fluid, I think.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Custom 5 in my LTD EC-1000 (as close to a LP Custom as it gets) and it works great for heavy distortion.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
I asked about pickups... my amp is fine. I understand its not a $1000 marshall, but its the best i can afford right now. Please dont tell me i need a new amp, i am actually very happy with my Vypyr. Its a thousand times better than the fender mustang i have and sounds amazing.

So now Im deciding between the SH-4 and SH-6. JB or Distortion? Whats the difference? Which is better for my interest? Closer to the sound Im aiming for?

And believe me, its my pickups. Other guitars sound great through my amp. And my guitar is lacking on both of my amps.
Last edited by sikorad15 at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by sikorad15
I asked about pickups... my amp is fine. I understand its not a $1000 marshall, but its the best i can afford right now. Please dont tell me i need a new amp, i am actually very happy with my Vypyr. Its a thousand times better than the fender mustang i have and sounds amazing.

So now Im deciding between the SH-4 and SH-6. JB or Distortion? Whats the difference? Which is better for my interest? Closer to the sound Im aiming for?

And believe me, its my pickups. Other guitars sound great through my amp. And my guitar is lacking on both of my amps.

The SH-4 and SH6 have different magnet types but are the same basic pickup. The SH-4 has the classic hot rod HB sound and is a bit loose. The SH-6 has a ceramic magnet that keeps the bass tighter and give the pickup a slightly more aggressive tone.

The SH-4 can also clean up better than the SH-6

I have an SH-4 in a G-400 and it sounds nice I play a variety of hard rock to metal and it works just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
One more question. With the amp I have will a new pickup make a difference? Will the JB sound better? Or will I barely (or not at all) be able to tell?
Quote by sikorad15

Well, if my Epiphone SG were out of the shop from an upgrade to a 59/Distortion combo, I would be able to tell you precisely, since my other SG has a JB in it.

The JB is a very very midrangey pickup. Personally, I can't stand it on cleans (except when the coils are split) but it's incredible with most distortion. If you find you mostly use the neck pickup for cleans, or you don't use cleans at all, the JB will be awesome. Even though its name stands for "Jazz & Blues" it's without a doubt a high output pickup.

The Distortion (from what I've heard, I can't speak for it just yet) is more balanced, but still very aggressive. It'll be more compressed sounding since it uses a ceramic magnet, and probably won't have superb cleans either.

You can't really go wrong with either, but I'll say try the JB.

This video is worth checking out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
I would still like to do the SH-8 Invader. Heres a link of a LP with one in it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ-TLJaubtc‎

Dont sound ''muddy'' to me at all. Synyster Gates' guitar also has a mahogany body like a LP and his guitar sure aint muddy. It seems like putting a invader in a LP is fine. Has anyone actually tried it? Not just read that its muddy in a mahogany body?

btw Im also thinking about adding a push/pull coil split on it.
With a Vypyr, you really wouldn't be able to hear the differences in pickups very much. I'm not saying you won't hear a difference at all, but it will be very minimal in my experience.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by sikorad15
I play alot of metal/hard rock. I wanted to get a more 'metal' tone out of my Epiphone Les Paul Studio cuz the epiphone alnico classics aren't cutting it, especially for distortion.

I'd suggest a change of pedal before a change of pickup.

In fact, I'd really suggest trying out a GE-7 or an MXR-10 band EQ pedal immediately after the pickups and before any of the rest of your pedal board.

After that, I'd suggest a change of preamp.

I really do NOT care for Invaders (pulled them from my Flying V and they're still in the accessories compartment of that guitar. Replaced with Tom Andersons). Besides, given the options above and the amp you have, a change of pickups would probably have the least influence on your sound.
Yeah, i said a new amp because the change is gonna be very little.

Someone said in a thread the other day,
Changes in tone:

70ish% is amp (combo or head+speakers)
10% guitar
15% pedals
5% pickups

something like that anyway..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Ok. Thanks for the advice. I think Ill wait a little and maybe get the JB and/or a pedal and new amp. Like a Marshall or a Peavey 6505.... when i can afford a tube amp.
Quote by sikorad15
One more question. With the amp I have will a new pickup make a difference? Will the JB sound better? Or will I barely (or not at all) be able to tell?

modeling amps (until you get to the real high end stuff) tend to not see the pickups very differently. not a knock on your amp just a drawback to them. they just take the signal and the amp model gives you the sound of that amp. I run a POD for recording which works well for that purpose. I have two strats that have very different pickups and sound very different through my tube amps. through the POD not so much if at all. I had a humbucker equipped guitar crap out during recording and substituted one of my strats and managed to get a similar enough tone through the same amp model.

your guitar may need a better setup. perhaps the pickups need to be adjusted better and that is your issue. just don't want you to spend money and be disappointed.
I'm not going to quote all the people who have mentioned it to argue individually,

but I feel obligated to mention that I have a Peavey VIP-3, as well as having previously owned Vypyr 15, 75, and Tube 120H.

Vypyrs are, for all intents and purposes, analog amps. Not traditional modeling amps. The gain and distortion is all analog. Pretty much only the effects are digital.

Pickup changes do make a notable difference through Vypyrs, as opposed to traditional modeling amps that digitally convert your signal upon input.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks. Its nice that someone who actually has a VIP can relate. Ill keep that in mind.

I had a fender mustang 1 before I got the VIP. The fender sounded sooooooooooo fake. Especially on overdrive. It was this flat s**ty sound. It sounds like a cheap keyboard ''electric guitar'' voice. They peavey sounds AMAZING! Analog, like you said. I honestly dont plan on getting a new amp if i dont have too. for the stuff i do (small band stuff) the peavey is great. Might get a sanpera sometime though....