Hey all, I've gotten to the point where I'm playing ok now, but I'm stumped whenever I run into complex open strumming. And example of this would be You Waste Your Time by Mark Tremonti at 0:03-0:05. It sounds like it switches from a bunch of open 16th notes to two triplets, back to two 16th notes. Normally I would just slow it down and build my speed up, but sometimes these notes are too fast for me to distinguish what's even going on so I can't tell if what I'm playing is right or not. I just need help tackling building up so I can play these odd rhythms with ease and figuring out how to distinguish the notes enough to slow it down to practice.
Buy Transcribe! and use that to slow the rhythm down and jam along with it. You could also try writing the rhythm down on a piece of paper to clarify what's going on. Transcribe! also allows you to loop the section you're working on over and over.

If you just don't have the background to figure it out (which is totally understandable), maybe go in for a 1hr drop-in lesson (one time lesson) at your local music store with the most advanced teacher you can get. Get him/her to transcribe the rhythm for you and explain how it works.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Feb 8, 2014,
Quote by bmblair
Hey all, I've gotten to the point where I'm playing ok now, but I'm stumped whenever I run into complex open strumming. And example of this would be You Waste Your Time by Mark Tremonti at 0:03-0:05. It sounds like it switches from a bunch of open 16th notes to two triplets, back to two 16th notes. Normally I would just slow it down and build my speed up, but sometimes these notes are too fast for me to distinguish what's even going on so I can't tell if what I'm playing is right or not. I just need help tackling building up so I can play these odd rhythms with ease and figuring out how to distinguish the notes enough to slow it down to practice.

Unfortunately, you're running smack dab into a fundamental issue:

You can't play something that you can't hear. If you can not hear what is going on, you will not be able to play it.

So rather than slowing it down, trying to break it down into component parts, work on your ability to transcribe rhythm in general. Start with basic stuff, get more and more complicated.

Build up to it. Your sense of rhythm needs to be developed just like your sense of pitch does.

Because really, if you can't tell from listening if you're doing it right or not, why does it matter if you're doing it right or not? It'll always sound wooden and mechanical and false, even if you get it "correct."
Quote by HotspurJr

You can't play something that you can't hear. If you can not hear what is going on, you will not be able to play it.

So rather than slowing it down, trying to break it down into component parts, work on your ability to transcribe rhythm in general. Start with basic stuff, get more and more complicated.

Build up to it. Your sense of rhythm needs to be developed just like your sense of pitch does.

Because really, if you can't tell from listening if you're doing it right or not, why does it matter if you're doing it right or not? It'll always sound wooden and mechanical and false, even if you get it "correct."

Can you expand a bit on what you mean on developing my sense of rhythm? I've taken a few lessons here and there to try and learn some basic theory. I've played off and on for about 7 years so I'm ok, but not great at guitar. I can figure some songs out by ear and tune by ear. It's just when it gets to really fast varying rhythms I struggle a bit or that I know what the rhythm is, but getting my picking hand to translate between my brain and muscles is losing fight. I can tap it out on a steering wheel with my hands but sometimes getting my hand to follow the same rhythm, my muscles just don't want to cooperate. lol
Last edited by bmblair at Feb 8, 2014,
Quote by British_Steal
Buy Transcribe! and use that to slow the rhythm down and jam along with it.

I think Amazing Slow Downer has much better quality audio than Transcribe!
Quote by innovine
I think Amazing Slow Downer has much better quality audio than Transcribe!

And i would argue that Anytune is the best of the programs, but that's just personal preference. Also, Anytune is exclusive to mac and iOS.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by HotspurJr

(helpful....NOT!)
(Why don't YOU actually try helping by a-c-t-u-a-l-l-y explaining the rhythm rather than bleeting on about nothing)
Quote by bmblair
Can you expand a bit on what you mean on developing my sense of rhythm? I've taken a few lessons here and there to try and learn some basic theory. I've played off and on for about 7 years so I'm ok, but not great at guitar. I can figure some songs out by ear and tune by ear. It's just when it gets to really fast varying rhythms I struggle a bit or that I know what the rhythm is, but getting my picking hand to translate between my brain and muscles is losing fight. I can tap it out on a steering wheel with my hands but sometimes getting my hand to follow the same rhythm, my muscles just don't want to cooperate. lol

so make your muscles cooperate. that's a salient part of what practice is about.

what happens when you hear something that you can't have repeated (say, at a jazz club or a concert) that really catches your ear? you only really get one shot unless you can find a recording of the same piece, and that's assuming you know the artist/composer and the name of the piece. if you can learn to do it without software you'll be at a huge advantage.

Quote by tonibet72
(helpful....NOT!)
(Why don't YOU actually try helping by a-c-t-u-a-l-l-y explaining the rhythm rather than bleeting on about nothing)

he gave the best advice i've seen in this thread. and i wouldn't knock him on it -- i've seen him around enough to know that a Bb chord in the key of C doesn't fry his brain.

you should watch your attitude, particularly when addressing people who have more experience than you.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.

Hey bmblair,

Here's the riff (2 bottom strings tabbed only).
Your intuition was right, straight 16th's only (no triplets).
Hope this helps ya!

After the 2 High Hat hits at the start of the song,
just start counting 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, (1) 2 3 4... etc
along with each bass & snare drum hits
(ie: 1(bass), 2(snare), 3(bass), 4(snare)etc...)

NB: the section below (which is what you're asking),
....starts at the 2nd count of eight.

Count:....1..e..&..a...2..e..&..a...3..e..&..a...4..e..&..a..
.......A|-6--/--5----|------------|------------|------------|
.......D|---sl-------|-0-----0----|-0-----0----|-0-----0----|

Count:....5..e..&..a...6..e..&..a...7..e..&..a...8..e..&..a..
.......A|------------|------------|------------|------------|
.......D|-0--0--0----|-0-----1----|-------1----|------------|

.......A|------------|-------5--/-|-9--\--5----|-etc.....---|
.......D|-0-----0--0-|-0-------sl-|---sl-------|------------|

P.S: for the 2nd line at count 5 think "giddy up..."
.....instead of "one ee and...(ah)"

.....and for the third line at count 1 think "one _ and Ah"
.....as already tabbed.

Hoping this helps!
Last edited by tonibet72 at Feb 20, 2014,
^ just letting you know, you can put code tags around text to make one section fixed width font. Just put [.code] before and [./code] after, but without the periods. like this:

Quote by The4thHorsemen
^ just letting you know, you can put code tags around text to make one section fixed width font. Just put [.code] before and [./code] after, but without the periods. like this:

you're the best   
another reason you probably can't hear the rhythms as obviously as some of us is your playing may not be quite up to speed, so to combat this simplifying things works best:

and by simple I mean r-e-a-l-l-y simple:

for example: visit you tube, pull up the song "arise" by "sepultura" and on your heavy E string only, using only down strokes play along with a palm mute fashion in a straight: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.. 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.. straight double time feel. (16th notes?)

(note) it's r-e-a-l-l-y important to "just keep the steady rhythm" - NOTHING ELSE - just keep playing that down, down, down, down picking, because as your forearm grows tired you will find that you will start to add unwanted up strokes and you can some times get all sorts of surprising rhythms coming out of it BUT REMEMBER that's because you are t - i - r - e - d and that's not a good thing, so each time you start to break away from the straight rhythm - STOP - and stretch and start again (altho rest sufficiently).

and for perspective: also try it using alternate picking (adding all the up strokes in between the down strokes), AGAIN keeping it s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t- and nothing else, more importantly tho, keeping your focus on executing the "one" on the down stroke, keeping it clean and focused: "ONE" (up) 2 (up) 3 (up) 4 (up) "ONE" (up) 2 (up)...etc
(32nd notes?)

once you get up to speed you will find that you will naturally be able to "mix things up" with much greater ease and will "naturally" be able to "hear" those cool chops and rhythms that have once elluded you.

hope it helps!

PS: Arise was just a suggestion and a sufficient starting point as opposed to faster bands wether it be punk, black, core or ???
Last edited by tonibet72 at Feb 20, 2014,