I own an Ibanez RG (not sure of model, its mahogany thru neck and now has EMG 81 and 60 installed) and an Ibanez PGM301 and i am now getting that urge to buy another guitar (can never have too many). Currently looking at the Charvel pro mod so cal/san dimas or a Jackson pro series dinky.
Its got me thinking, what in your opinion is the best shred guitar? i'm thinking more along the stock models kinda lines and considering value for money. discuss
None of what anyone says on this thread is going to be of any use to you if your only qualifier is 'best'
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
IMHO there is no best shredding guitar. I have Ibanezes with wizard necks, Strats with single coils, BC Riches, and LTDs. I can shred on any one. There's no best for that, just how you use the guitar.
Quote by bish0p3473
IMHO there is no best shredding guitar. I have Ibanezes with wizard necks, Strats with single coils, BC Riches, and LTDs. I can shred on any one. There's no best for that, just how you use the guitar.

good point well made!!!
Any guitar can be shred on but some guitars are faster than others. I guess the obvious choices would be super-strats, Jacksons/Ibanez/Washburns/LTD horizon/Schecter Banshee's etc. The new Washburn's Parrallaxe series looks good and they're supposed to have Original Floyd's but I'm not sure if they're actually german made or a asian reproduction.
Quote by kingking22
Any guitar can be shred on but some guitars are faster than others. I guess the obvious choices would be super-strats, Jacksons/Ibanez/Washburns/LTD horizon/Schecter Banshee's etc. The new Washburn's Parrallaxe series looks good and they're supposed to have Original Floyd's but I'm not sure if they're actually german made or a asian reproduction.

theres a video on you tube showing them being made and the dudes in the factory defo dont look german lol.

im a little dubious about the look of the neck joint on them, probably just cos its different but i dunno, just looks a little wierd
You can identify some of the characteristics of guitars that are good for shredding, but it's not brand or even model specific.

I personally prefer very polished jumbo frets, flat radius (15-20"), slightly wider fretboards (1 3/4" or even 1 13/16ths" nut widths) and ebony fretboards with real shell inlays. I prefer 24 fret guitars that have all 24 free. I prefer those that have a wide distance between neck and cutaway horn (this eliminates standard LPs for me). I prefer that the guitar NOT be neck heavy (balanced would be best, or *slightly* body heavy). I look for guitars that have very low action with no buzzing frets (this usually means I cart them to a PLEK tech for a really good fret level) and that have glued frets. I prefer a smooth neck joint -- ideally, a neck-through with almost NO neck heel until you get to the 22nd - 24th fret and then only a gradual transition to the body.
Last edited by dspellman at Feb 9, 2014,
I absolutely love my MIJ Jackson dinky pretty close to what I was call a perfect shredding guitar. The only complaint I honestly have is upper fret access is a little uncomfortable but hey it's a bolt on neck so what do you expect.

When I think of a perfect shred guitar I think 24 jumbo frets thin and fast neck, good
Pickups and obviously a good player holding it.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
shred is a style not a guitar. whatever works for you is "the best" yngwie does it on a strat, john sykes burns on a Les Paul, steve vai and joe satriani on their Ibanez models, ted nugent used to tear it up on a Gibson byrdland. all different guitars with different specs and yet all capable of shredding on.
I see you own a PGM so you might be familiar with Paul Gilbert's music so Ill tell you this. The first Racer X album was recorded with a squier stratocaster, that means its definitely not the guitar that makes the difference. Good players can play just as well on any guitar.
wow i didnt know that!!!
totally agree that its the player rather than the guitar
. this was proven for me when i bought the pgm and didnt instantly turn into PG lol. apparently it wasnt sufficient grounds for a refund
Let's just say I would be very happy with a Blackmachine B2 but 'best' is going to be extremely subjective.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Caparison, Carvin, Krammer it depends on what type of sound and feel you are looking for.
like Yngwie shredding, or micheal angelo batio? EVH or Randy Roads? Vai or Dragonforce?

be more specific. there is no best, just what works best for you.
The qualifier for a shred guitar is your own judgement.

A rock guitar player playing chords is only interested in the sound, possibly how it looks as well.

If you want to shred, you have to judge the playability in how it works for you. See what frets u like, if there are enough and check if it's "fast" enough.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by bish0p3473
Hahaha. I remember him from the Headbanger's Ball in high school. I used to think that guitar was so cool.

Now I think that sounds horrible.

It would be hilarious to bring that in Guitar Center and tell the front desk you wanna check out some amps with it.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 18, 2014,
Shredding is a technique that is based in the physical attributes of the guitarist and how they interact with the form of the guitar. To shred, one must not only be skilled, but comfortable. Each guitarist will find their own "best" because each will find his most comfortable guitar; unlike Highlander, there is not only one, but thousands.

Maybe tens of thousands.

Or millions.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
well its all personal. but something along the lines of a blackmachine or mayones type design, a john petrruci type design, a parker type design, or a a high end ibanez S or RG prestige series.

i may add my personal appointments but, along those lines is about right.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I've played Ibanez's forever and just bought my first Les Paul. It's got the 50's fat neck and everything....and I love going totally nuts on it.

Thing is, I play totally different on it than I do my Prestige. Only thing I can't do as well on it is tapping for some reason. Probably the shorter scale and smaller frets.

BUT! The enormous frets on my Prestige definitely make is easier to slip and slide all over the place as far as slides/legato.

The SoCals are different from the Ibanez's. If you are used to that Wizard neck, the Charvel neck is going to feel fat. I bought a SoCal when I had my Prestige and def liked the Ibanez better as far as "shredding".
get a jackson professional or a used usa
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Lol at the bass player in the video.
Jackson DK2