I have a epiphone les Paul that I've been wanting to modify.
It's a single pick-up, with just a volume and tone knob.
The guitar isn't that bad, I just think most of the work was put into the
paint job and not the hardwear. It's a collegiate edition.
I need some advice on what would be a good replacement pickup?
I want something heavy/loud/hard. I was thinking Seymour Duncan or emg. Since there is only one I want I make sure it can work well alone
Are there any other mods you would recommend to help upgrade guitar sound?
I'd be inclined to put an EMG 85 in it, and obviously swap the pots and jack out for the active set-up. That's just me though. It depends on exactly what tones you want, what amp you're playing through, and how much money you have available.
Thanks for your reply. Money isn't really a big deal, but I don't want to invest a huge amount. This will be my first electric project. Already had the guitar, and it has sentimental value (so want to keep it, but want a better sound) I will research the EMG 85.
My main guitar is a fender tele that's very versatile, but it's pretty crunchy/twangy. For tone, I'm looking for something different than that sound. I pretty much want to keep the les Paul tuned down ad play heavier stuff with this guitar. I have a line6 spider amp and a fender twin
Look at www.guitarfetish.com they have nice pickups for cheap they even have their own version of EMG active pickups. They are 1/2 the price of the big names
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I looked into those but I want to go with a name brand. I'm thinking about split coil, but I'm not too informed on those. Looking into it tho
Quote by jessicabyrd
I looked into those but I want to go with a name brand. I'm thinking about split coil, but I'm not too informed on those. Looking into it tho

You can't split the coils with an EMG 85, or most of their models. They do make a dual mode pickup though (the EMG 89) - it's basically a humbucker and single coil, stacked in one housing, which you can select between.