Some of you may have seen the recent video of Soft Cell's Tainted Love performed by litteral disc drives. If you haven't, check it out, it's pretty cool: YouTube Link.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is an effect pedal, or a combination of them, that could simulate the sound of the disc drives in this video. I've been playing guitar for 8 years but I'm pretty new to guitar pedals so I have no idea where to even start.
Quote by GunMetal125
Some of you may have seen the recent video of Soft Cell's Tainted Love performed by litteral disc drives. If you haven't, check it out, it's pretty cool: YouTube Link.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is an effect pedal, or a combination of them, that could simulate the sound of the disc drives in this video. I've been playing guitar for 8 years but I'm pretty new to guitar pedals so I have no idea where to even start.

Not sure if I should report this or try to help or throw up or what.

I did check the link and seems legit - I just don't understand the purpose of the thread.
Quote by GunMetal125

there are pedals out there that can read the input from a guitar signal and make it 'sync' another signal as output. for example, pedals like the moog Freq Box take a guitar signal as input and then sync it to an oscillator with different waveforms so that the output signal of the freq box matches the pitch of the input signal from the guitar even though the output signal is a completely different signal than the input.

midi guitars are a more elaborate way of doing this. i have seen midi guitars with fret triggers that can tell what fret and string you are playing and i have seen guitars with midi pickups that detect the pitch of the note you are playing. either way, the note is then turned into a midi signal that can be used to trigger any sound sample (midi instrument) you have. so technically you sample anything (disk drives, farts, a sex noise) and the guitar could trigger it.

the midi guitar approach is pretty much the same thing as what electronic keyboards do, you just use a fretboard instead of a keyboard. this is probably the most effective way of achieving you 'disk drive' tones.

trying to get a standard guitar pedal to sound like a buzzing disk drive is probably going to have underwhelming results.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c593--MIDI_Guitars_Pickups
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I did check the link and seems legit - I just don't understand the purpose of the thread.

yeah, i didn't quite take it serious at first either, but i am just assuming he is asking a more generic and pertinent question of 'how do i make my guitar really sound like something else'
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 8, 2014,
It sounds like a little battery powered amp with the gain dimed, maybe put a noise gate in front of it.

That video kinda sucks, no offense. Seems like a huge effort but not the least bit impressive.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
It sounds like a little battery powered amp with the gain dimed, maybe put a noise gate in front of it.

That video kinda sucks, no offense. Seems like a huge effort but not the least bit impressive.

i am sure you'd be more impressed if you were one who got it to work. impressive sound? no. impressive effort? i would say so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLshnfu0wY

-ae
I just want you all to know I've been impressed and entertained by musical disk drives and now tesla coils for the greater part of the afternoon
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by lucky1978
THAT is impressive!

everyone is a sucker for the lightning.

that is what the disk drives needed, fantastic visual effect.

i always liked this thing too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByPJh-kJhRk

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 8, 2014,
You could mimic a lot of those tones with some of Devi Ever’s fuzz pedals that mimic 8-bit synth sounds. An octave generator would be necessary for some of the polyphonic tones—a POG would probably work well. Mimicking the percussive sounds of the motors moving would probably be possible with bass popping.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

My bad. I didn't know how to embed youtube videos in a forum post, but I googled how to do it and I won't make that mistake again. 311ZOSOVHJH got the idea though, so thanks for that!

Also, timi_hendrix, that pedal sounds bitchin'! I'll definitely be checking that one out, as well as the pedals jpnyc suggested. Thanks everyone for the awesome leads!