Does anybody else think that these people lead the most depressing lives?

Their parents are usually athletes themselves. They begin training for their sport as soon as they can walk. Their entire childhood is dedicated to learning this all too specific sport. They begin competing on a national stage in their teens.

Then, every four years they have the opportunity to compete on an international stage while the whole world decides to care about their sport for like 15 minutes. They typically get one or two shots at this and depending on the sports, but by the time they are like 22 their chances at success are over.

And even if they win, they get what? Some commercial spots? Maybe a career as a coach?

Most likely they just spend the rest of their life working at Home Depot.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I admire Olympic and paralympic athletes, I don't even have the ambition to jog a mile each day and they're out there continuously presenting their physical prowess to the world to be judged against some of the best athletes in the world.

if that isn't a bigger rush than I'll probably ever experience in my entire life, i'd be amazed
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Well I imagine "I'm an olympic athlete" would get you a bit of attention and prestige with people you meet, you'd probably be respected for it even if you were retired. Apart from that though yeah it might suck, especially if no one really cares about your sport (most likely)

You'd get laid a ton with other athletes tho, there was a Cracked article that talked about how much sex there is where they stay
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
You'd get laid a ton with other athletes tho, there was a Cracked article that talked about how much sex there is where they stay

This is good and bad because it just highlights the fact that the only opportunity they have to meet other people is through the sport.

And the cycle begins anew.
If their lives are depressing, how would you describe your life OP?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Unless they enjoy their sport in which case they get paid to do it every day and life is probably awesome
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Nah man. They get paid. They get famous. They get to perform on the world stage in front of billions of people.

Sure, it can be depressing if the kid is sort of forced into it and whatever sport they're stuck doing isn't their passion in life, but that's life. Some of us end up with shitty parents.

If it is their passion though, then isn't that incredibly fulfilling? I know if I was making a good living playing guitar and writing tunes I would feel pretty fulfilled about that. I would be blown away if my songs were good enough to play in front of a world wide audience.
I played organized sports all the way through high school and have always looked up to and been inspired by both professional and Olympic athletes. I feel the same way about bands and musicians that I admire. And no I don't think either one of those groups lives depressing lives. They're doing what they love.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
If their lives are depressing, how would you describe your life OP?

Depressing, but I actually have the opportunity to be actually be doing fulfilling work in my 40's.

I've not yet begun to peak. And when I peak, I'm gonna peak so hard the whole city of Philadelphia is gonna feel it.
anyone see the Female Russian Athletes photos? They are in very great shape, but obviously, they are athletes
Quote by snipelfritz
Depressing, but I actually have the opportunity to be actually be doing fulfilling work in my 40's.

I've not yet begun to peak. And when I peak, I'm gonna peak so hard the whole city of Philadelphia is gonna feel it.

So their lives are no different from your except for the fact that they've already risen to the top of their field with plenty of time to pick another career?

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
You guys realize the Olympic hotel or wherever the hell they stay is pretty much a giant orgy, not to mention of the most physically fit athletes there ever were? Just being in the Olympics would be the experience of a lifetime, but there are definitely side benefits
Quote by Weaponized
Dont you get like 1000000000000 bucks for winning a gold medal

"..the United States Olympic Committee pays out medal bonuses: $25,000 goes for gold, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze (Though, as Yahoo! Sports notes, these prices haven't changed in 10 years, and are now worth over 5 grand less due to inflation). American athletes may also expect smaller prizes — a fund set up for wrestlers that will award a gold medal winner $250,000 springs to mind.

Other countries sometimes give out even bigger rewards — any Malaysian gold medal winner will get a gold bar worth $600,000 (not that there have been any since 1956).

Then, of course, there's sponsorship money, which can be huge for the big stars. For example, Ryan Lochte, the latest darling of the US swim team, is widely expected to take home over $2 million this year in sponsorship deal money (at least part of which will linked to medal performance).

However, there is a catch with this money — you only get it if you are famous and/or win. Most athletes aren't. There are approximately 15,000 athletes competing in 26 sports, with around 1,000 medals up for grabs for the best of the best.*

For the rest of the Olympic athletes, the numbers get tough. Figures from the USA Track and Field Foundation found that only half US track and field athletes ranked in the top ten in the nation make more than $15,000 a year from the sport. Many in more obscure sports are lucky to make any money at all, CNN reports."
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
What a shitty nonsensical rant by OP. Pursuing an interest and becoming good at what you love is one of the least depressing things I can imagine.
I don't think that it's depressing. However, I don't think that most of the athletes get any recognition or deals or fame after their career at the Olympics are over. Just think, only a handful of olympic athletes become famous once they are done. Most of them end up probably doing who knows what. But still, it would be pretty awesome to say that you made it to the olympics. And yea, if I had the chance to bang the figure skaters or gymnasts, that would be cool too.
It's gotta be worse for the commentators. Like what are they doing in the four years between Olympics? The athletes are training. What are they doing?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
It's gotta be worse for the commentators. Like what are they doing in the four years between Olympics? The athletes are training. What are they doing?

Well Mike Emrick, the hockey announcer, does the NHL. Idk about anyone else though.
Dedicating your life towards the pursuit and achievement of a single goal is almost as far from depressing as you can get.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by chev311e
Well Mike Emrick, the hockey announcer, does the NHL. Idk about anyone else though.

well duh the hockey announcer does NHL
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by chev311e

scaaaaaaaaahrs

Quote by lolmnt
well duh the hockey announcer does NHL

Oh you didn't make it obvious you knew that in your original post.
Quote by cho0onger
Dedicating your life towards the pursuit and achievement of a single goal is almost as far from depressing as you can get.

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by chev311e
Oh you didn't make it obvious you knew that in your original post.

I was talking about the weird sports. It's super obvious the hockey announcers have stuff to do when the Olympics aren't happening.

Like the guy who's announcing the Biathlon. That's not on TV expect for during the Olympics.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
Like the guy who's announcing the Biathlon. That's not on TV expect for during the Olympics.

it really should be though

Quote by lolmnt

Dude, that guy gets sooooo excited. It's amazing
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Dude, that guy gets sooooo excited. It's amazing

Yeah that's what makes it so sad. Like his life only matters every four years.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
I was talking about the weird sports. It's super obvious the hockey announcers have stuff to do when the Olympics aren't happening.

He sounded like Badger from Breaking Bad. I had to look up the guy's wiki page to make sure it wasn't actually him.
Quote by lolmnt

They are usually retired athletes in the sport they are commentating.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
They are usually retired athletes in the sport they are commentating.

But most Olympic sports aren't making you money. My old pediatrician was an Olympic medalist, and he was a pediatrician. So he was smart enough to become a doctor, but that's not true of everybody. .

Are they coaching or on some board for the sport or something?

I'm genuinely curious about this.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
But most Olympic sports aren't making you money. My old pediatrician was an Olympic medalist, and he was a pediatrician. So he was smart enough to become a doctor, but that's not true of everybody. .

I'd like to know the answer to that too. Just some speculation:

I would assume you get approached by a network, or you would do some approaching. I think it's easier for the Olympics this year since all of the events are pre-recorded (kinda awkward being able to look up the end results as you're watching, but whatever) and so the commentators are not commentating live, so you can really go for popular choice commentators rather than experienced ones.

From what I understand a lot of it (getting a job commentating anything pro sports) has a lot to do with networking and if you haven't played the sport you have to have some education in broadcast journalism as well as get educated about the game, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of these olympians, much like your smart pediatrician friend, decided to take some broadcast journalism classes to prepare for a future career as a commentator.

I guess it's probably like any other job. Either get offered it or go in and make them offer it to you?
Quote by lolmnt

I know the curling people don't just do curling. They get the occasional bulk of tv spot every year too during their little annual curling tournament.

Only so many athletes can be coaches for a program like that. Some of them will likely run courses to teach high level technique, some of them will get coaching positions, blah blah blah. But most of them will likely just get a real job like they already had.

Not that I'm an expert or anything. I'm basing this off curling which I know little about and lacrosse which isn't an Olympic sport.

All I wanted to contribute was that most of the commentators are former Olympic athletes. Not necessarily that the commentating gig would pay the bills. I doubt it would.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Feb 9, 2014,
There's a lot of articles online about what the non famous athletes do after they stop participating at the Olympics. Seems they mostly find other jobs that don't even have to do with that sport.
I imagine flying 120 feet through the air on skis or blazing down an icy half pipe track headfirst at 130km/h or winning gold in the best hockey tournament in the world or pulling off your skating routine flawlessly would make it all worth it.

They wouldn't be in the Olympics if they had never had the desire despite the push from their parents.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬