Hello everyone, it is me again requiring of your insight. So i'm planning to complete my dream rig by the end of this year. As i previously stated in another thread i created i play mostly for myself but i can't deny the possibility of gigging in the future.

On my previous thread many suggested i should buy the EVH 5150 amp based on my music preferences (Ranging from the Smiths to Gojira).

Don't get me wrong, the EVH amp sounds so ****ing epic it would be worth to save just for this amp. However i think it's just a little bit expensive (the 50W version costs 999 US dollars and that's only for the head...i would still need to buy the cabinet).

And since i'm not playing in a professional band nor playing for a living, i figured i could just buy the Laney Ironheart 60W + cabinet + PODHD500 (Since i love to experiment with weird effects and shit)

But i'm not in a rush but i like to plan things ahead just in case.
well you have to ask yourself "do I want my dream rig" or do you want something that will work for what I can afford.
I always think it's best to sort our your base tone first (ie a good amp and guitar) before even thinking about effects.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I always think it's best to sort our your base tone first (ie a good amp and guitar) before even thinking about effects.

wisdom that should be stickied in huge bold letters. this doesn't need to cost a fortune at all but it does need a reasonable amount of insight from the player as to what they want tone wise. what you can afford is of course a factor as well. pedals are the icing on the cake but if the cake tastes like shit then the frosting won't help much.
Quote by Cathbard

+42. Cathbard speaketh the truth.
Can't a POD HD500 be used in conjunction with studio monitors? I would've thought that is better than a cheap amp. It's not exactly conventional, not to say you won't like it.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Can't a POD HD500 be used in conjunction with studio monitors? I would've thought that is better than a cheap amp. It's not exactly conventional, not to say you won't like it.

Yeah, you don't even need monitors, decent headphones will do! I played with a Pod and headphones for around a year before getting monitors.

So yeah if you're going the Pod route you don't need a cab or amp. The Pod has all you need but it's not gonna sound as amazing as your dream amp obviously.
Quote by Cathbard

A lot of folks are too new to be sorting out their base tones just yet.

Over the years, I accumulated around 15 tube amps (still have them) and a few solid state (I miss my Super Beatle, but I have most of the rest) amps, and I have two big flap-top bins of FX pedals, most of which I never touch.

Back when I bought a Pod XT, it was with the thought of using it as a headphone practice gizmo. Along the way, I realized that I could experiment with a ton of different amp/cab/FX sounds to see what I liked and what I didn't care for.

These days, I have Pods plugged into studio monitors, Atomic Reactors, large wide-range flat response speaker systems using solid state power amps and even DI for recording and PA systems. I get all kinds of arguments over what other modelers are "the best," and I have a couple of those as well, but think a Pod plugged into a full range powered speaker is an outstanding practice *and* live choice.
Quote by Emperor's Child

One of my Pod outputs is a set of KRK Rokit 8's. For a small room (bedroom, basement, etc.), it's a really nice setup. 90W each side of power, biamped 8" woofer (surprisingly sufficient down to about 50Hz) and tweeter (really nice for a bit of "sparkle" and clarity), compact size and great pieces for keyboard and other music sources.
Do you play with other people at all right now?

If not, I say get the HD500 with headphones, then use that to hold you over while you save up for the EVH.

And while you're at it, get a used 5150 III 100W for ~$1000 instead of a new Mini for $1000. The Mini is a joke compared to the real thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, I should've added that the POD option is only better if you have no plans to play live. Not to mention it offers better control of volume (no need to crank). I'm actually looking to spend some money on ordering an Axe-FX II and some monitors but those things are fricken expensive.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB