Hi all,

I have an all original '74 Traynor YGM-3 combo amp. It has an extension jack on the back rated at 8 ohms.

Is there any way that I'd be able to connect two 6x8 8 ohm column speaker cabinets (Traynor YCV-3's) to it in parallel? Or would I have to connect them in series

Thanks in advance.
Quote by EpiLP9
Hi all,

I have an all original '74 Traynor YGM-3 combo amp. It has an extension jack on the back rated at 8 ohms.

Is there any way that I'd be able to connect two 6x8 8 ohm column speaker cabinets (Traynor YCV-3's) to it in parallel? Or would I have to connect them in series

Thanks in advance.

i am really not sure of certain particulars so i will have to do a little guessing and assumptions, but here it goes.

it seems the native speaker is hardwired to the head, the native speaker is 8 ohms. you then have an 'ext speaker' jack on the back that requests an 8 ohm speaker.

on these older amps they had a variety of ways treating external cabs as far as impedance and using different taps on the output transformer. older fenders just ran the speakers in parallel, period, with no OT adjustment to account for the impedance change, but i have an old sunn that looks similar to your setup and it does something interesting (from what i have been told).

the way my sunn evidently works is it has a main speaker out, it expects 16 ohms. it also has an external speaker out that expects 16 ohms. with my sunn i cannot just connect a speaker to the external speaker out, it won't pass any signal unless i have a cabinet also plugged into the main out. and when i do have a cabinet plugged into both it switches the tap it uses on the transformer, so:

-it won't operate unless there is a speaker plugged into the 'main' speaker out
-it'll use an 8 ohm tap instead of a 16 ohm tap when i have a cabinet plugged into both speaker jacks (main and external)

it seems like your amp is similar in it's setup, but i can't say that 100% sure. it seems the main tap on your OT is 8 ohm and the external cab may switch the tap to a 4 ohm tap when a speaker is connected to the external speaker jack. i can't totally confirm this though, it may just ignore impedance mismatch like fender does/did.

the problem you are going to have is that your amp is going to want two 8 ohm loads (one of those loads will be the native speaker) so you will only be able to use one of those 6x8 cabinets if you want to operate nominally.

daisy chaining two 6x8's out of the external speaker out will provide a 4 ohm load which would not be favorable (it'd be something like a total of a 2.6 ohm load i believe). connecting the two 6x8's in series will provide a 16 ohm load which also isn't great (it'd be something like a total of a 5.3 ohm load)

i don't know what you want to do about all that, i am just reporting the news. btw, if you wanna connect those 6x8's in series to ygm3 then you will need a special piece of equipment to do so. i don't personally know how to easily connect cabs in series without some type of 'series box'.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 8, 2014,
Wow! That certainly helped me out a lot. Thanks!
Last edited by EpiLP9 at Feb 9, 2014,