Hi,

What genre of guitar playing is this (video link below)? I listen to mainly metal music (or I used to listen metal more than any other genre). So, my knowledge about different styles is very limited, sadly, needless to say. I recognise jazz, blues of course but I can't quite put my finger on this one. Isn't this kind of a blues and country fused playing?

Also I was blown away by this player. Is it I am unfamiliar with this kind of music and don't really know similar artists or this man is truly a genius? I hope my question is clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpcSVByIW8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxRL9Thu43M

Thanks in advance
Blues. Blues/rock, maybe. It's extremely similar to Eric Clapton's sound.

The guy just so happens to be really good at what he's doing and is blending in all kinds of different styles and ideas from different genres (jazz, rock, progressive, etc) but it's definitely predominantly blues/blues rock based.

Edit: to answer your other question: He's really good. Knows his shit backwards and forwards. You could consider him a genius in his own right. It just depends what you're into But yes, he's better than most of the cats I've seen out there.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Feb 9, 2014,
It's sad that there wasn't a crowd. Like 10 people within 30 feet of the stage. He sounds incredible.

It's like he goes from clapton, to jazz, to straight up blues, and back to clapton. Throwing in some country picking along the way. lol. The second video I hear all that plus a bit of Gilmour. Definitely a cool dude.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by mjones1992
Blues. Blues/rock, maybe. It's extremely similar to Eric Clapton's sound.

The guy just so happens to be really good at what he's doing and is blending in all kinds of different styles and ideas from different genres (jazz, rock, progressive, etc) but it's definitely predominantly blues/blues rock based.

Edit: to answer your other question: He's really good. Knows his shit backwards and forwards. You could consider him a genius in his own right. It just depends what you're into But yes, he's better than most of the cats I've seen out there.

Thanks so much.
Quote by cheesefries
It's sad that there wasn't a crowd. Like 10 people within 30 feet of the stage. He sounds incredible.

It's like he goes from clapton, to jazz, to straight up blues, and back to clapton. Throwing in some country picking along the way. lol. The second video I hear all that plus a bit of Gilmour. Definitely a cool dude.

Thanks very much. Is this something that would be considered 'new' in the blues/jazz/fusion communities or it is something not particularly new but done very well kind of thing?

The bottom line is though it was a life altering experience for me in my guitar music listening life. I just wanted to know if this is because I was out of touch or other people would feel the same.
Quote by saqib09
Thanks very much. Is this something that would be considered 'new' in the blues/jazz/fusion communities or it is something not particularly new but done very well kind of thing?

The bottom line is though it was a life altering experience for me in my guitar music listening life. I just wanted to know if this is because I was out of touch or other people would feel the same.

Not new, no. Extremely well done? Absolutely. He's pretty much taking Clapton to the cleaner's on that second video. Like I said: Better than most cats.

The first track reminded me A LOT of Eric Clapton. Check out his work in Cream as well as his solo stuff.

Check out Jimi Hendrix. Look for Killing Floor live (the track that actually made Clapton himself walk off stage after hearing Hendrix, a nobody at the time, perform it) on youtube as well as purchase/download/youtube 'People, Hell and Angels', and 'Valleys of Neptune' (both are albums). Really listen to the guitar work on those. The track 'Hear My Train A Comin' is especially good if you're paying attention to guitar work.

Also, Led Zeppelin. Any album I-IV will do (the rest are fantastic also, but I-IV are the easiest to get into) and if you need a good transition track from Metal to their form of rock, try Achilles Last Stand on the album 'Presence'. That's pretty much where galloping bass-lines (think Iron Maiden) came from.

I'm glad this changed your perspective on guitar music :-) Blues and Rock can truly be great. I used to be only into metal myself (mostly 00's and a few 80s guys) and listening to Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, The Doors, and Led Zeppelin really changed things for me about 6 years ago.

It's a different style, totally. It's more grounded in feeling and making notes 'count more' rather than accuracy, trebly-distortion, and clean sweeps/arpeggios/speed runs down the fretboard.

Good luck, sir!

EDIT: Also, very similar to his playing is John Mayer. Don't go for his solo work though. Look up the John Mayer Trio. That's where he lets his blues chops rip. His solo stuff is pretty commercial and doesn't show his true talent.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by mjones1992
Not new, no. Extremely well done? Absolutely. He's pretty much taking Clapton to the cleaner's on that second video. Like I said: Better than most cats.

The first track reminded me A LOT of Eric Clapton. Check out his work in Cream as well as his solo stuff.

Check out Jimi Hendrix. Look for Killing Floor live (the track that actually made Clapton himself walk off stage after hearing Hendrix, a nobody at the time, perform it) on youtube as well as purchase/download/youtube 'People, Hell and Angels', and 'Valleys of Neptune' (both are albums). Really listen to the guitar work on those. The track 'Hear My Train A Comin' is especially good if you're paying attention to guitar work.

Also, Led Zeppelin. Any album I-IV will do (the rest are fantastic also, but I-IV are the easiest to get into) and if you need a good transition track from Metal to their form of rock, try Achilles Last Stand on the album 'Presence'. That's pretty much where galloping bass-lines (think Iron Maiden) came from.

I'm glad this changed your perspective on guitar music :-) Blues and Rock can truly be great. I used to be only into metal myself (mostly 00's and a few 80s guys) and listening to Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, The Doors, and Led Zeppelin really changed things for me about 6 years ago.

It's a different style, totally. It's more grounded in feeling and making notes 'count more' rather than accuracy, trebly-distortion, and clean sweeps/arpeggios/speed runs down the fretboard.

Good luck, sir!

EDIT: Also, very similar to his playing is John Mayer. Don't go for his solo work though. Look up the John Mayer Trio. That's where he lets his blues chops rip. His solo stuff is pretty commercial and doesn't show his true talent.

Thanks

I am not/was never a 00 metal guy though . So, I was familiar with Led Zepp and that kind of stuff. But, yes, I have only recently started to pay true attention to Led Zeppelin. I've been listening to I - III all the time.

Same is with Hendrix. I am re-listening Jimi Hendrix and started to listen to Cream and Clapton. In the process I discovered Joe Bonnamassa, which is expected, the guy is all over the place now. I haven't listen to much of his stuff though.

Thank god for internet though we can now interact from across the world. I see you are from 'good ol US' Me from Bangladesh (a country neighbouring India).
you might want to expand some and try some Jeff Beck as he takes a bunch of styles and melds them together with some astonishing playing. check out the Live At Ronnie Scotts cd or dvd for a good overview of what jeff is about. coming form a more metal back ground Gary Moore plays some awesome blues with a ton of fire.
Quote by monwobobbo
you might want to expand some and try some Jeff Beck as he takes a bunch of styles and melds them together with some astonishing playing. check out the Live At Ronnie Scotts cd or dvd for a good overview of what jeff is about. coming form a more metal back ground Gary Moore plays some awesome blues with a ton of fire.

Thanks a lot.

On a separate issue do you think its a practical ambition to want to play multiple styles as a guitar player? I've started very late (age wise) and only just started learning.

Thanks again.
Quote by saqib09
Thanks a lot.

On a separate issue do you think its a practical ambition to want to play multiple styles as a guitar player? I've started very late (age wise) and only just started learning.

Thanks again.

well if you learn to play guitar then what you do with it is up to you. don't get caught up in the idea that you have to learn a "style" the notes are all the same regardless. when I started to play I was told to learn as much as I could and use that to make my own style. this has been my goal in terms of playing and tone. I want to be recognized for my playing and sound not my ability to duplicate someone else. (some of my stuff is in my profile and if you listen you'll notice some very different tones and styles incorporated into my tunes)

age doesn't matter desire to play does.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by monwobobbo
well if you learn to play guitar then what you do with it is up to you. don't get caught up in the idea that you have to learn a "style" the notes are all the same regardless. when I started to play I was told to learn as much as I could and use that to make my own style. this has been my goal in terms of playing and tone. I want to be recognized for my playing and sound not my ability to duplicate someone else. (some of my stuff is in my profile and if you listen you'll notice some very different tones and styles incorporated into my tunes)

age doesn't matter desire to play does.

I just listen to Valley, Land and Mummy. Cool songs. The Mummy has the really dark kind of atmospheric vibe going on. I bet you like to turn off the light in the night and play that tune.
Quote by saqib09
Thanks a lot.

On a separate issue do you think its a practical ambition to want to play multiple styles as a guitar player?

Absoflockinglutely.

I started out playing classical organ (Bach, etc.) on a church pipe organ. Graduated to playing piano and B3 (solo) in bars and for small wedding receptions (Legion Halls, etc.). Played a lot of old show tunes and jazz. Worked with a big swing band playing piano for a summer, played some blues and jazz in a quintet for a bit and then got pulled into rock and Vegas shows. You can always bring some of these techniques to bear in other genres of music. Always tickles me to hear arguments regarding tiny slices of a single genre, particularly where metal is concerned; learn everything you can.

And by the way, Guthrie is available as a guitar teacher (yeah, he can teach you via Skype wherever you are). Check his website. http://www.guthrietrapp.com/

I don't know that I'd call Guthrie a Genius; particularly in Nashville, where there are more amazing musicans than you can shake your stick at, and most of them are starving. More likely, your musical universe needs expanding. But he's certainly more than competent at what he does, and nothing you can learn from him will be wasted. Punch up the Visa and take some lessons.
Quote by saqib09
I just listen to Valley, Land and Mummy. Cool songs. The Mummy has the really dark kind of atmospheric vibe going on. I bet you like to turn off the light in the night and play that tune.

thanx man. well can't say I play that in the dark but it's a thought. hope the songs illustrated my point though. not all about just playing one style but taking bits and pieces of many styles and melding into your own. so never feel boxed in and just explore different styles and sounds. if it works for you then it's good. happy playing and keep us posted.
Quote by monwobobbo
thanx man. well can't say I play that in the dark but it's a thought. hope the songs illustrated my point though. not all about just playing one style but taking bits and pieces of many styles and melding into your own. so never feel boxed in and just explore different styles and sounds. if it works for you then it's good. happy playing and keep us posted.

Thanks. Happy playing.
Thanks for posting those videos. Never heard of the guy, but I'm impressed- instant fan!

That mix of blues/rock/jazz he's got reminds me of guys like Eric Johnson, Charlie Hunter and Shawn Lane. He doesn't sound like any of them in any major ways...just...bits here and there. It's like he shares their taste in progressions and phrasings, so he reminds me of them without actually playing like them.

As for aspiring to be able to play in many styles, well, that's what the better studio musicians and house bands on TV have to do.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Absoflockinglutely.

I started out playing classical organ (Bach, etc.) on a church pipe organ. Graduated to playing piano and B3 (solo) in bars and for small wedding receptions (Legion Halls, etc.). Played a lot of old show tunes and jazz. Worked with a big swing band playing piano for a summer, played some blues and jazz in a quintet for a bit and then got pulled into rock and Vegas shows. You can always bring some of these techniques to bear in other genres of music. Always tickles me to hear arguments regarding tiny slices of a single genre, particularly where metal is concerned; learn everything you can.

And by the way, Guthrie is available as a guitar teacher (yeah, he can teach you via Skype wherever you are). Check his website. http://www.guthrietrapp.com/

I don't know that I'd call Guthrie a Genius; particularly in Nashville, where there are more amazing musicans than you can shake your stick at, and most of them are starving. More likely, your musical universe needs expanding. But he's certainly more than competent at what he does, and nothing you can learn from him will be wasted. Punch up the Visa and take some lessons.

You have some experiences in playing instruments!! I don't doubt that my "musical universe needs expanding". Just trying to listen more intelligently than I have in the past. You can't listen to everything .

Thanks for the info, although I had already checked out his website. I'm a beginner pretty much . So, do you think I should go for those lessons with him right now? It seems to me I should master the basics first. It would super cool to get personal guidance form an excellent player like him from the beginning though.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Thanks for posting those videos. Never heard of the guy, but I'm impressed- instant fan!

That mix of blues/rock/jazz he's got reminds me of guys like Eric Johnson, Charlie Hunter and Shawn Lane. He doesn't sound like any of them in any major ways...just...bits here and there. It's like he shares their taste in progressions and phrasings, so he reminds me of them without actually playing like them.

As for aspiring to be able to play in many styles, well, that's what the better studio musicians and house bands on TV have to do.

I haven't heard of Charlie Hunter or Shawn Lane. But I'm gonna find out about them now thanks to you.
Quote by mjones1992

John Mayer Trio

Does Guthrie Trapp has any solo albums? Would love to hear him, but couldn't find anything on his website or google.

If he doesn't, i hope he pulls a Govan and comes out from the shadows into the spotlight. He absolutely deserves it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
John Mayer Trio

Does Guthrie Trapp has any solo albums? Would love to hear him, but couldn't find anything on his website or google.

If he doesn't, i hope he pulls a Govan and comes out from the shadows into the spotlight. He absolutely deserves it.

I'm sure you went to the wrong web site. He just put out his first album "Pick Peace". Its on the home page of his web site (http://www.guthrietrapp.com/).

Here's the page where you can buy it anyway:

http://www.theconnextion.com/guthrietrapp/guthrietrapp_index.cfm

I hope I will get commission. Someone should tell him.
Quote by saqib09
I'm sure you went to the wrong web site. He just put out his first album "Pick Peace". Its on the home page of his web site (http://www.guthrietrapp.com/).

Here's the page where you can buy it anyway:

http://www.theconnextion.com/guthrietrapp/guthrietrapp_index.cfm

I hope I will get commission. Someone should tell him.

I went to the right page, but didn't scroll down, went right to the "Media" tab.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
I went to the right page, but didn't scroll down, went right to the "Media" tab.

Dude, I'm serious about the commission bit. Do leave a note for them.. heee hee

I'm trying to get this shipped internationally as I don't live in USA. What a nightmare!!
Quote by saqib09
Dude, I'm serious about the commission bit. Do leave a note for them.. heee hee

I'm trying to get this shipped internationally as I don't live in USA. What a nightmare!!

I, too, don't live in the USA... Bummer. I guess you won't get your comission.
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
Ampeg GVT52-112