At the moment I'm using 10-46 strings, and having trouble tuning down a whole tone without the string becoming loose and over-vibrating. Any suggestions on particular string widths? Thanks.
Try the Ernie Ball hybrid Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. The G, B and e strings are like regulars (.010 .013 .017) but the E, A and D strings are a bit thicker (.030 .042 .052).
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
thatsd likely never going to happen lol, thats why people use seperate guitars for drastic tunings.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Best of luck finding a set of strings for that range of tunings.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
11s work ok for me down to C , they will do B but they are ass loose as Madonna
What the hell!!!
As others suggested, you'll probs want another guitar for a different gauge stringset. However, for drop D & standard, I'd suggest a set of the skinny top heavies. Nice tension in D, while not being too thick to make barring hard. (That being said, I still find barre chords tricky as hell )
Quote by romeozdistress
thatsd likely never going to happen lol, thats why people use seperate guitars for drastic tunings.

+1
Quote by romeozdistress

+1
Quote by romeozdistress

+1. This is why I have four electric guitars and a bass.
Quote by jpnyc
+1. This is why I have four electric guitars and a bass.

troof
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I tune up to standard from my Drop B guitar on occasion. It just has the side of effect of feeling like bridge cables instead of strings.
It's true that that range of tunings will cause some difficulties, TS, and that multiple guitars would be the best solution. However, this doesn't answer your question. If you can't afford another guitar and still want to experiment with different tunings, the skinny top heavy bottom is a great choice. A set of 11s wouldn't be bad either. As for which one to go with, skinny top heavy bottom, 11s, stay with your 10s, or otherwise, it becomes a question of what bothers you more: too much tension in standard tuning or too little tension in drop C/drop B. If your guitar is set up for 10s you could likely throw on a set of either of these to experiment without setup issues.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz