Hey.

I'm looking for some advice on what to get as a 2nd OD/distortion pedal.
I currently use a Lovepedal High Power Tweed for my "base" tone, and a Fuzz as the secondary pedal for when I really need the extra thickness.

I'm not really happy with the fuzz though. I want something with a little more definition and "balls", but that will still give me a step up from my standard OD tone.

I play a MIJ Hardtail Jaguar, modded with 2 Seymour Duncans. My band gets pretty heavy, and I use lots of chords rather than playing solos etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Last edited by OLWJag at Feb 9, 2014,
a rat isn't a bad choice for heavier stuff.

i am getting ready to build a 'brown sound in a box' and that looks promising from clips i have seen.

i did a distortion plus circuit not too long ago and it is pretty good for rhythms, doesn't have a bunch of gain but you don't want too much for rhythm playing anyway.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by OLWJag
Hey.

I'm looking for some advice on what to get as a 2nd OD/distortion pedal.
I currently use a Lovepedal High Power Tweed for my "base" tone, and a Fuzz as the secondary pedal for when I really need the extra thickness.

I'm not really happy with the fuzz though. I want something with a little more definition and "balls", but that will still give me a step up from my standard OD tone.

I play a MIJ Hardtail Jaguar, modded with 2 Seymour Duncans. My band gets pretty heavy, and I use lots of chords rather than playing solos etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

What amp are you using??
I'm using what ever amp happens to be in the jam space when I turn up. Usually a Bugera combo or an ARCTEC (?) half stack. Venues usually have Princetons or Orange combos. Generally decent tube amps.
I live in Taiwan at the moment, owning a gig-able amp is really practical here.

I was thinking about a RAT. They seem pretty solid, and not too much $$$ either.
price range? do you have limitations on getting pedals? i see you already have a lovepedal. NICE.

what type of music? can you compare it to something?

cant own an amp? man thats rough. if i lived in a place like that, i think i would go for a line 6 pod type setup, like a processor straight to soundboard type rig. or, i would get an amp like a kemper, which i believe can also go to a soundboard direct for home use amp also plug into a cab for live use if you want to use a cab.

besides the point. yeah price and type of music please?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 9, 2014,
Bad Monkey seems to get a lot of attention. I need to try that, for 50USD and all the good reviews seems like a solid plan. Also got the EXH soul food recently which is more subtle and ok at higher volumes but honestly my tube screamer is still the go to OD.
I don't want a huge board, but I want the gear I do have to be decent. Around $200US should be more than enough, I think. The Lovepedal I have was about $150US. There's a new Lovepedal fuzz, Bontender or something. Anyone tried that?
Music stores here have a decent selection of gear, but I can order online if I have to.

I play towards the heavier end of indie-rock. Not quite as heavy as QOTSA, but still pretty loud and rocking. Kinda like ...Trail of Dead, I guess.
200 gets you a lot. we can work with that.

dues ex machina by blakemore effects is pretty heavy.

ive been doing this a lot lately. go to prymaxevintage.com and select fuzz. select filter by 4 and 5 stars, and then set your price range. i would do 100-200 or something. either listen to the onsite demos or youtube each pedal. that should give you a good lay of the land. they carry a LOT of GREAT brands.

proshopguitar also has a great selection (sometimes different) with onsite video demos. actually PGS seems to have a bigger selection in the 100-200 range.

personally, if i was willing to spend up to 200, i would narrow the field starting at 140-150 and up. starting at about 140 you filter out the mainstream crap, and start getting into boutique brands for not much more money.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Feb 9, 2014,
If I' not mistaken, Conrad from AYWKUBTTOD (lovely acronym) get's his distortion sound by playing trhough a cranked Marshall Plexi, while Kevin also used a Plexi, but hat a RAT2 in front.

I guess your best bet would be to get a Marshall-in-a-box pedal, like The Catalinbread DLS and/or a RAT. Might be able to get you into the Trail of Dead territory.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Feb 9, 2014,
I read that ...Trail of Dead were big Marshall guys. I really love the Tweed Twin pedal though. I don't really want another "amp in a box" pedal, just something that will work well with what I have now.
PGS takes up a lot of my time! ha I spend hours on there dreaming.
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll do some research.
i would take the best of your research, and then the best of the suggestions from this forum, and about 2 others online, and then decide how much of a bummer it will be if you dont like the pedal (depending on what you want and how much you are willing to spend, return, try again)

...pending all that, buy. thats my strategy to buying online.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
I think an MI Audio Blues Pro or the newer Super Blues Pro would both work. It stacks very well with other OD's.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.