ive been playing bass for almost 2 years. I learned to play by mostly just playing around and making up cool riffs. ive tried watching lessons before but, there too simple and boring. Is this a bad way to learn an instrument?
Nope, theres nothing wrong with doing it that way. You might not progress as quickly as people who use the videos and other tools, especially when they start getting more technical, music theory and etc. As long as you enjoy what you do, go with it.
There's no right or wrong way to learn to play. I would say most musicians in rock bands are pretty much self taught.

If something feels boring, you don't need to do it. You want playing an instrument to be fun. Of course it's sometimes good to do some a bit more boring stuff (basics are usually kind of boring). But yeah, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Just playing around and making your own music is great. You want to make music. Being creative is good and IMO that's the purpose of playing an instrument.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
As long as you don't develop any bad habits that will actually impact you physically (i.e. bad technique that could lead to carpal tunnel syndrome or something), then I see no issue with it for the typical bedroom player.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by MaggaraMarine
There's no right or wrong way to learn to play. I would say most musicians in rock bands are pretty much self taught.

If something feels boring, you don't need to do it. You want playing an instrument to be fun. Of course it's sometimes good to do some a bit more boring stuff (basics are usually kind of boring). But yeah, if you don't want to do it, don't do it. Just playing around and making your own music is great. You want to make music. Being creative is good and IMO that's the purpose of playing an instrument.

Agree with this one.
If you want to be a bass player, then you're doing fine. Its fun and you're having fun. But if you want to be a musician, then I hate to tell you, you're going to have to deal with what your refer as 'the boring' stuff.
'
I'm in the same boat as LeftoverFish, i recently switched from my loving drumset to a bass a few months ago. I already knew quite a of musical theory and basics from guitar in the past. I've been practicing scales and learning notes but what else should one be doing to understand the bass?
Quote by anarkee
If you want to be a bass player, then you're doing fine. Its fun and you're having fun. But if you want to be a musician, then I hate to tell you, you're going to have to deal with what your refer as 'the boring' stuff.
'

This.

There's nothing wrong with what you are doing but you will never play in a band unless you take on the boring stuff.

My advice is to learn whole songs, not just the riffs. After six years I'm still trying to learn a new song every week. Some I just learn for fun but many of them have tricky bits and each tricky bit I overcome improves my playing.

The real fun for a bassist is playing with other people, so if you haven't done this yet you really have to get out there.

There isn't a right and wrong way to go about learning, but don't kid yourself either. All bassists will improve quicker with organised practice, working with a metronome or drum track and learning some music theory.