I have a 6505+ head and i can't remember if its always been like that...

In the red channel, even if the volume is lowered all the way i can still hear the amp...
Is it the way its suppose to be or... is there something wrong?
Besides that everything works fine and sounds fine...
Working as intended.

The 5150 amps are horribly designed. I've gone through two, and I doubt I'll get another. They just have too many faults for me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Working as intended.

The 5150 amps are horribly designed. I've gone through two, and I doubt I'll get another. They just have too many faults for me.

Faults? By fault do you mean play rediculously awesome metal?

Do you still have yours or did you ditch it?

Edit: as Offworld stated that is normal, and normal for most amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by R45VT
Faults? By fault do you mean play rediculously awesome metal?

Do you still have yours or did you ditch it?

Edit: as Offworld stated that is normal, and normal for most amps.

You remember my rig, I like intricate routing and setups. The 6505 loop is a pile of ass that's basically useless, signal feeds through the amp to the output no matter what you do in the loop. The EQ does next to nothing. I don't know if I would consider that normal. I haven't tested that many amps that extensively. The JSX I had before it had none of the problems.

Yeah I sold it a while ago. I was going to trade up to a Randall RM100 or a Marshall Vintage Modern, but, as usual, life kicked me in the dick and all the money disappeared into fixing my POS car. Really frustrating.

So I've been out of the tube game for a while now, actually. But I have a VHT Special 6 Ultra coming to me in a few days. Then just gotta save back up the long way, I guess.

EDIT: Sold my Vypyr Tube head as well. Used that money to get a PA, which is still... somewhere in the mail. Scary.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 9, 2014,
What the hell did you get a special 6 for? Have you played one before? To me it was a novelty that worse off after a few minutes.

I am tubeless now. Only HD500. If you had your + I would have offered to buy it back. I've been delayed building my new amp. No time. I should order the chassis and get it on the bench at the least.

I remember the problems you had with your loop. The 6505 is great budget tube metal amp, but lacks some high end features. Sorry to hear about the car problems.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The Ultra has the best tone:features:price ratio that I can find, for the tone I was looking for. I got it for cleans and pick/volume dynamic breakup. Not any sort of metal at all (the Vypyr does that more than well enough).

I hear you on no time. Right now I'm going to school Mon-Thurs, and working Fri-Sun. Shit sucks hard, I can feel my energy draining day by day. But this semester is my last full time semester at school, so time/life should start to look up after Summer.

I'm actually getting a new car this week, an old Honda wagon with low miles. I think a lot of my car troubles are related to the fact that my Infinity has like 360K miles on it.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You remember my rig, I like intricate routing and setups. The 6505 loop is a pile of ass that's basically useless, signal feeds through the amp to the output no matter what you do in the loop. The EQ does next to nothing. I don't know if I would consider that normal. I haven't tested that many amps that extensively. The JSX I had before it had none of the problems.

Definitely something wrong with yours. EQ on mine is about as useful as any other amp I've owned - You have to learn how to use the resonance and presence knobs, they are the most powerful knobs on the amp

Can't comment on the loop, cause I don't use it and never have used it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Definitely something wrong with yours. EQ on mine is about as useful as any other amp I've owned - You have to learn how to use the resonance and presence knobs, they are the most powerful knobs on the amp

Can't comment on the loop, cause I don't use it and never have used it.

This seems to be a major running theme with people who are happy with theirs.

I agree that the Resonance and Presence do do a lot. I meant the actual 3 band EQ on both the 5150 and 6505 I've owned don't really do anything at all. Just set em all to 666 or 676. The amp pretty much only has one sound (on the lead channel, not talking about the rhythm channel).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The amp pretty much only has one sound (on the lead channel, not talking about the rhythm channel).

6505's have a rhythm channel??

If I remember right you used a setup fairly similar to mine. 6505 with a processor for cleans and effects. What didn't work for you with the effects loop?

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
6505's have a rhythm channel??

If I remember right you used a setup fairly similar to mine. 6505 with a processor for cleans and effects. What didn't work for you with the effects loop?

Yeah, that's right.

You can only mute the amp from the front. You can't mute the amp from the loop. I don't know what the hell is going on inside those things. When you turn the volume down, sound shouldn't come out. But it does. If you put a tuner in the loop and turn it on, sound shouldn't come out. But it does. Screw all that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This seems to be a major running theme with people who are happy with theirs.

I agree that the Resonance and Presence do do a lot. I meant the actual 3 band EQ on both the 5150 and 6505 I've owned don't really do anything at all. Just set em all to 666 or 676. The amp pretty much only has one sound (on the lead channel, not talking about the rhythm channel).

Most people who would buy these amps aren't running effects there, aside from maybe a noise suppressor, so I don't really see the issue with the loop not being the greatest. The 3-band on mine is much more powerful than that, though, I guess it depends on the kind of sound you're going for though Sure, the amp does sound good with all the knobs straight up, but most good amps do.

Yes, it's fairly well known that these amps aren't super versatile, though the "Normal" channel can do a lot of different genres, I just don't think people bother to play with them enough. I'm honestly not sure why someone would want their lead channel to be super versatile in the first place, though?

Sounds like it's just not the right amp, feature-wise, for you. But I mean... they're so freaking cheap used, it's not like you can expect them to do everything amazingly well. They were built for a specific sound, and they do that sound insanely well

From another thread, I see you play a lot of ambient/shoegaze type stuff... TBH, I'm not sure why you'd buy a 5150/6505 in the first place, if that's what you're looking to do
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Most people who would buy these amps aren't running effects there, aside from maybe a noise suppressor, so I don't really see the issue with the loop not being the greatest. The 3-band on mine is much more powerful than that, though, I guess it depends on the kind of sound you're going for though Sure, the amp does sound good with all the knobs straight up, but most good amps do.

Yes, it's fairly well known that these amps aren't super versatile, though the "Normal" channel can do a lot of different genres, I just don't think people bother to play with them enough. I'm honestly not sure why someone would want their lead channel to be super versatile in the first place, though?

Sounds like it's just not the right amp, feature-wise, for you. But I mean... they're so freaking cheap used, it's not like you can expect them to do everything amazingly well. They were built for a specific sound, and they do that sound insanely well

From another thread, I see you play a lot of ambient/shoegaze type stuff... TBH, I'm not sure why you'd buy a 5150/6505 in the first place, if that's what you're looking to do

The main genre that I play is progressive death metal (Gojira, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me). I play ambient/shoegaze, and sludge (Mastodon, Baroness) stuff to a lesser extent. Just in the past few months I switched to bass in my band, so guitarwise I've been more on the ambient stuff.

They are cheap used, but it's still a $1000 amp regardless. That's a hell of a lot of money to have an issue as trite as signal bleedthrough, IMO. No other amp I've had has had that issue.

I don't want or need the lead channel to be versatile. You don't buy a 6505 if you don't want the 6505 sound. I just want to be able to add or take away bass. The bass never really changed for me. Mids changed a bit though. Highs, not really much change.

I did an in depth demo of the cleans on the 6505, that's on my Youtube. It can get clean, and the rhythm channel is quite versatile. I was using the clean channel with pedals for the ambient stuff right before I sold the amp.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 10, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
The main genre that I play is progressive death metal (Gojira, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me). I play ambient/shoegaze, and sludge (Mastodon, Baroness) stuff to a lesser extent. Just in the past few months I switched to bass in my band, so guitarwise I've been more on the ambient stuff.

They are cheap used, but it's still a $1000 amp regardless. That's a hell of a lot of money to have an issue as trite as signal bleedthrough, IMO. No other amp I've had has had that issue.

I don't want or need the lead channel to be versatile. You don't buy a 6505 if you don't want the 6505 sound. I just want to be able to add or take away bass. The bass never really changed for me. Mids changed a bit though. Highs, not really much change.

I did an in depth demo of the cleans on the 6505, that's on my Youtube. It can get clean, and the rhythm channel is quite versatile. I was using the clean channel with pedals for the ambient stuff right before I sold the amp.

What speakers were you using with it? The high and presence knob on mine are definitely the most powerful part of the EQ. I generally roll off the bass quite a bit on mine and it works nicely, I don't have much need for a huge range there, as long as I can cut it back if it's too much. Mids, kinda depends on your speakers - It's definitely not super powerful, but it's a very mid-oriented amp, which still retains a lot of mids, even when "scooped."
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I read up to Matrix's 2nd post on this thread. But i wanna say my 2003 5152 does the same on the lead channel. drop the volume to 0 and you can still hear it slightly. The Rhythm channels volume doesnt do the same though.

I hardly use the lead channel though tbf. The 3 band EQ works okay but the MXR 10band in the loop helps a fair bit. Pres and Res pretty much around noon though too.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
I read up to Matrix's 2nd post on this thread. But i wanna say my 2003 5152 does the same on the lead channel. drop the volume to 0 and you can still hear it slightly. The Rhythm channels volume doesnt do the same though.

I hardly use the lead channel though tbf. The 3 band EQ works okay but the MXR 10band in the loop helps a fair bit. Pres and Res pretty much around noon though too.

I just picked up a MXR 10 band EQ and put it in the loop. I've only played with it for about an hour but what a huge difference so far!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
On my 6505+, I have to say that some knobs do a lot more to the sound than others. The resonance is a relatively subtle control while the presence, mid and gain have loads and loads or range. I do agree that the amp is very midrangey though. You don't need very much mids before it begins to sound honky.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 11, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
On my 6505+, I have to say that some knobs do a lot more to the sound than others. The resonance is a relatively subtle control while the presence, mid and gain have loads and loads or range. I do agree that the amp is very midrangey though. You don't need very much mids before it begins to sound honky.

I might start playing round with speakers when my mate gets his other 2x12. Just hope he doesnt put V30's in it like mine
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Something you should know, there is a capacitor across the lugs of the volume knob of tbe 6505+ that gives you the effect that no matter where the volume is set, iys like your highs are automatically on full all the time. A result is that you hear the amp on zero, and you have shrill higbs all the time. There is a mod that removes one piece... Hold on ill find it for u. Stay tuned. It will improve the shit out of your amp... Give me a minute.
Ya man clip one leg of c19 on the pcb to remove alot of noise and fizz. Its still the same amount of gain, just now makes it more useable. C19 acts like the treble bleed for a guitar, that no matter where your gain is set, its like the treble is on full at all times. No wonder the hi knob does little to nothing no matter where its set. Just clip one leg of c19, and enjoy the amp u love with less noise, less fizz, and being able to lower the gain below 4 without it becoming thin and nasley. If u hate it, just put a glob of soldier where u clipped it to return it to stock. But trust me when i say u wont want to return it to stock. Ull love it man. Post ur findings after the mod. We all want to know how u like it. C19 for the head. C21 for the combo. Clip one leg. Thats IT!