Page 1 of 3
Gonna keep her simple here. Im getting back in the game after a long stoppage. Started when I was fairly young and learned the basics but high school sports and ap classes consumed all the time I once had. Well now im in college, and on a tight budget. Looking to spend at the max $400 on a new guitar. Right now Im in the market for a deeper sound, im gonna be getting into alot of Metallica work and along that sound. That being said, ive decided to go either Jackson, Esp, and Ibanez. For $400(maybe a little less if possible) what should I go after? Any info helps im completely knowledgeless oon guitars. The guitar center down the road from me has an Ibanez RG370QMSP Brand new for $370 and I liked the feel and sound of that one. So this concludes my first post here, thanks all.
Well.

Speaking from experience, I'm not fond of Ibanez

Jackson dkxts are on sale on musiciansfriend atm for 200 off. It's a really great guitar for the price.

Not a lot of experience with esp though. Do you have an amp, or do you need recommendations for that as well.

To be fair though, we can't really help you. Only YOU can know what feels and plays right to you
ayy lmao
A Godin Redline- especially the Redline HB- is a good option, made in Canada. The HB, new, is @$500, and is under $400 used.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Godin+redline&src=Godin+redline&o=1

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-GODIN-REDLINE-HB-109613730-i3449487.gc

In addition, Fernandes is having a clearance sale of limited quantities of their guitars on their direct-sales website. Great deals to be had, but when they're gone, they're gone. (I own a pair of Fernandes Ravelles- they're nice guitars for harder genres.)

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 9, 2014,
used ltd 400 or higher series.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
used ltd 400 or higher series.

Yup. If you cant find one then 300 serie with active ALH-200 pickups. (ESPs budget copy of EMG actives) Based fully on your love for Metallica. Plus I like ESP LTD guitars.

Ibanez makes great guitars. The thin, wide necks divides opinions (some hate it, some feel like its lighting fast) but if it felt good in your hands thats what counts the most. But I do not know if 370$ is a good price on that model, especially in the USA.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 9, 2014,
Thanks for the input so far, keep them coming. I really do not know too much about guitars, as far as even the different sound between neck through or bolt on, and active versus passive pickups. I do not need an amp I have a killer 90 watt fender beast I got back when I first picked up guitar. I might even consider a strat but Im not really sure if I can get the sound Im looking for. Seems like finding a USED LTD series might be the way to go?
Another note, the Ibanez at Guitar Center does have floyd rose. Don't know too much about it, but I heard it was a good option
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Thanks for the input so far, keep them coming. I really do not know too much about guitars, as far as even the different sound between neck through or bolt on, and active versus passive pickups. I do not need an amp I have a killer 90 watt fender beast I got back when I first picked up guitar. I might even consider a strat but Im not really sure if I can get the sound Im looking for. Seems like finding a USED LTD series might be the way to go?

Set neck has easier access to higher frets where bolt on is repairable if you break your guitar: just change the neck. Some people claim that set necks and neck throughs sound better and have longer sustain but I call bullshit on that one. Pickups matter more. Thats just me though, YMMV.

Regarding pickups you need humbuckers for metal. (single coils sound too "twangy" for that, plus are noisy on high gain) Passive or active is personal preference. One eats batteries and other does not. As oversimplified example, when it comes to very hot pickups actives are cleaner and tighter because they are actually low output pickups with weak magnets, but they have battery powered preamp that makes the signal hotter. Some people call them (EMG 81 particularly) sterile but thats all personal preference. They work great for metal. Just remember to disconnect the cable from guitar when not playing or it keeps draining the battery.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Another note, the Ibanez at Guitar Center does have floyd rose. Don't know too much about it, but I heard it was a good option

Do you play solos and do you want to play with tremolo? If not, go ahead. If not, avoid floyd rose, they are a headache. Changing tuning and string gauges are pain in the ass because you have to rebalance the damn thing every time or it goes out of whack. I hate floyds with passion. I'd rather just bend the strings when needed and divebombs be damned.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar can somebody comment on this Jackson? Thanks again guys.

250$ is mighty good deal for X serie Jackson. Only criticism I can think of are the EMG HZ pickups. EMG makes good actives but their passive pickups suck ass. Not bad for budget stock pickup but odd choice for guitar that goes 400-500$ new (it costs 450€ here in Finland). Might want to change them some day. For 250$ I say give it a shot, that price is a steal.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
As of right now, not playing any solos. By the time I can jam on some solos i'll probably have enough money to put into a better guitar with a real budget. I think the tremolo would be interesting to use, but not entirely necessary. But I think ill run down to guitar center I believe they had that same Jackson there yesterday for a bit more but atleast I can test it out. There was one jackson I tried out I liked it but it kind of seemed too clunky. So we'll see when I go back.
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
As of right now, not playing any solos. By the time I can jam on some solos i'll probably have enough money to put into a better guitar with a real budget. I think the tremolo would be interesting to use, but not entirely necessary. But I think ill run down to guitar center I believe they had that same Jackson there yesterday for a bit more but atleast I can test it out. There was one jackson I tried out I liked it but it kind of seemed too clunky. So we'll see when I go back.

Then stick to hard tail. You will regret having a Floyd whenever you want to experiment with string gauges and different tunings. For now you want a reliable workhorse guitar. For second guitar if you crave for some lead playing with trem abusing Floyd is fine. Just makes sure its a good one, cheap guitars usually have cheap licensed Floyds that may or may not be poorly made. Poor ones wear out fast and then they stop staying in tune.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Okay sounds like a good observation, because I was thinking about experimenting with 11 gauge right away haha. Some of the ESPs on Musicians Friend look interesting
I've come down to I believe these four guitars. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG370QMSP-Electric-Guitar-107887275-i2479589.gc which is actually $370 in store, This ESP LTD http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-lmh100qmntd-quilt-maple-top-electric-guitar/h83423000001000 , a Jackson Dinky http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-dkxt-dinky-electric-guitar and an LTD Viper http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-viper-330-flame-maple-top-electric-guitar/j01523
Anybody own any of these guitars? Or you guitar techs that know about humbuckers etc etc can comment on pros cons of these? Wanna narrow it down to two or three based on quality. Then I'm gonna go test em
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-dkxt-dinky-electric-guitar can somebody comment on this Jackson? Thanks again guys.

I already commented on that for you. I recommended it. ;_; Hours ago.

But once again, It's a great guitar. Thinnest neck i've ever played. The transparent red is BEAUTIFUL In person, So much lighter and much more detailed. Best money I've ever spent on a musical instrument. Lot of room to upgrade in that range.

The emg-hz are ok, the cleans i can get are fairly great. For 249-299 on sale, it's a ****ing steal.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by chookiecookie
I already commented on that for you. I recommended it. ;_; Hours ago.

But once again, It's a great guitar. Thinnest neck i've ever played. The transparent red is BEAUTIFUL In person, So much lighter and much more detailed. Best money I've ever spent on a musical instrument. Lot of room to upgrade in that range.

The emg-hz are ok, the cleans i can get are fairly great. For 249-299 on sale, it's a ****ing steal.

I agree. The guitar is normally almost double the price. Its either that or the LTD H400 TS recently found.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Its currently $449 on guitar center. And ill do the pricematch there since its cheaper. Im gonna go play it tomorrow and i'll let you know if thats the way I go. $250 would leave me a lot of wiggle room too. I wouldn't have to replace the pickups right away would I? They're fairly decent? I think I want to go with that Jackson.
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Its currently $449 on guitar center. And ill do the pricematch there since its cheaper. Im gonna go play it tomorrow and i'll let you know if thats the way I go. $250 would leave me a lot of wiggle room too. I wouldn't have to replace the pickups right away would I? They're fairly decent? I think I want to go with that Jackson.

No no. They work fine. Their biggest problem is that for something that advertises itself as metal pickup they are very low output and bit thin. Plus they advertise itself as passive equivalent to their active pickups, which they clearly are not.

On standard tunings they do sound nice and clean, just lack balls. Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom for example likes them so its not like they are unusable.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
No no. They work fine. Their biggest problem is that for something that advertises itself as metal pickup they are very low output and bit thin. Plus they advertise itself as passive equivalent to their active pickups, which they clearly are not.

On standard tunings they do sound nice and clean, just lack balls. Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom for example likes them so its not like they are unusable.

alexi laiho uses a custom of his own though. His cheaper sig has the passive emg though

But, yes, they do work fine. They are a little thin on the bottom end, they can and somewhat do lack clarity. But again, It is an amazing guitar, especially at that price point. Leaves you a lot of room to throw in a dimarzio or duncan set and make the mufukka scream.

Srsly, just get it, dude
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
alexi laiho uses a custom of his own though. His cheaper sig has the passive emg though

But, yes, they do work fine. They are a little thin on the bottom end, they can and somewhat do lack clarity. But again, It is an amazing guitar, especially at that price point. Leaves you a lot of room to throw in a dimarzio or duncan set and make the mufukka scream.

Srsly, just get it, dude

I agree. The pickups are the least of the concerns. Most important thing is that the guitar feels good. If you can solder or know someone who can pickups are very easy to change. And cheap too if you go used. Few ten bucks at most for one pickup unless you have an itch for premiums like Bareknuckles. Since in metal you spend your 99% of the time on the bridge pickup that is the only pickup you may feel need to change anyway. HZ on neck does its job for that 20 second clean intro.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by chookiecookie

Srsly, just get it, dude

How much would a decent set of pickups be to replace em? And I'm seriously considering that. But I just came across this which seems like a nice find http://rochester.craigslist.org/msg/4294544624.html I figure I can beat him down 40 maybe 50 bucks.
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
How much would a decent set of pickups be to replace em? And I'm seriously considering that. But I just came across this which seems like a nice find http://rochester.craigslist.org/msg/4294544624.html I figure I can beat him down 40 maybe 50 bucks.

A new Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio bridge pickup is rougly 70$. Used from half to 2/3 of that. Not sure about EMG or SD actives. If you go active you have to change both because they do not work with each other well otherwise. Without some cable wizardy anyway.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Scibsmetalrock

The problem with that guitar is going to be the floyd.

Don't get anything with a floyd as a first guitar. You'll regret it horribly. They're hard to maintain when lacking experiencing (if not impossible) And you can't change tunings in a snap, which i imagine as a beginner, you're going to want to.

A decent set of pickups? Depends on what you play and what sound you're going for.

Metal? For just the bridge pickup? 50-100 bucks for the pickup, a little more to have it replaced (unless you know electronics)

Quote by MaaZeus
A new Seymour Duncan bridge pickup is rougly 70$. Used from half to 2/3 of that. Not sure about EMG or SD actives. If you go active you have to change both because they do not work with each other well otherwise. Without some cable wizardy anyway.

+ turning a guitar with passives into one with actives in a pain. The body cavity will need to be slightly bigger to make room for the actives.

I don't like actives though. A seymour duncan black winter or a dimarzio crunchlab or something are just fine pickups. Both are under 100 bucks ( I think. Correct me if I'm wrong on the crunchlab, but the black winter is)
ayy lmao
Alright I think I'm sold on the Jackson. Gonna test her tomorrow if she feels right ill grab it. Still a few videos ive watched on it make it sound a little muddier than id like. but i guess with my budget I cant be to picky. I have a friend that could replace them for sure.
If you like it, you won't regret it.

Seriously one of the best musical investments I ever made.

Remember though, amp makes up 80% of your tone. Don't expect it to sound amazing if you play it through a line 6 spider iv.
ayy lmao
Last edited by Scibsmetalrock at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by Scibsmetalrock

If that would be the type of sound you want, yes. I can't vouch for that pickup because I've never played it.

But, yes. Just remember to read up and make distinguishments between neck and bridge pickups, 7 strings, 8, etc. Make sure you're getting the right thing

Edit: Responded to your pm, btw
ayy lmao
Quote by Scibsmetalrock

Pickup is mostly for finetuning the sound. Most important thing is the amp, thats where majority of the tone comes from. Pickup can help by pushing the amp harder (being hotter) for bit more distortion or not depending on taste and then there are EQ differences. Some are muddy, some are bright etc... Its all part of creating the sound. A piece of a big picture.

Just to confuse you more I suggest you watch this SD pickup comparison with good headphones or speakers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

Some are noticeably different but the difference is not exactly dramatic.

I still stand by that dont worry about this now. First get a good guitar and then a good tube amp that fits your needs. Then pickups last.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus

I still stand by that dont worry about this now. First get a good guitar and then a good tube amp that fits your needs. Then pickups last.

Yeah.

Subtle differences will be heard with pickup swaps through ss/modeling amps, but until you get some of dem tubes
ayy lmao
Never really experienced a tube amp or anything of the sorts. I just can't justify buying something thats 5 maybe 10 watts for 300+ dollars when I can just jam on my Fender amp, never really had a problem with sound or anything
Getting into the wattage of amps is something I'd rather not meddle you with right now.

In short, it doesn't matter. That's a conversation for a totally different time.
ayy lmao
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
Never really experienced a tube amp or anything of the sorts. I just can't justify buying something thats 5 maybe 10 watts for 300+ dollars when I can just jam on my Fender amp, never really had a problem with sound or anything

Since you live in USA you have luxury of finding good tube amps used for little money. Like Peavey Ultra which costs peanuts over there. A good high gain amp, an old one but for money hard to beat. And then there are the new Jet City amps, based on Soldano designs. Great bang for the buck. The 50w 5012 combo or JCA50h head model are not expensive.

I'm not implying that solid states (My Randall, which is my favourite amp of those that I own, is all solid state without modeling) and modeling amps are bad. But tubes just have something thats hard to replicate.

Fender isnt my first choice for metal distortion but then again I have never heard that particular amp so...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
One thing I do know is the importance and difference in tube versus standard. I know how much better they are but I cant justify it when theres nothing wrong with my amp and all of its cool functions D:
Also I don't use the gain feature on the amp, I have a boss distortion and boss metal-zone pedal. As well as an equalizer pedal that I'm trying to figure out.
Quote by Scibsmetalrock
One thing I do know is the importance and difference in tube versus standard. I know how much better they are but I cant justify it when theres nothing wrong with my amp and all of its cool functions D:

You may feel like that now but sooner or later you will get an itch for your first halfstack.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Page 1 of 3