Hello! When trying to solo. I know that it sounds good to play the notes of the chord currently being played. But in the long runt, this becomes booring. So playing the notes within the right scale outside of the currently played chord it sounds bad.

I think i might lack rythm or something. Can you describe what your approach is?

Thanks!
Of course nobody can tell you what notes to hit when.

That's like asking if somebody can tell which words to use when you speak to someone, and obviously that depends on what it is you're wanting to say...nobody else can know that.

It's exactly the same with your guitar, you can't just randomly hit strings, you have to have an idea in your head of what you're trying to do first. So put it down, listen to your backing and think of something that will sound good over it, then try and paly it on your guitar.

Basically you need to start playing your guitar rather than letting the guitar play you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Of course nobody can tell you what notes to hit when.

That's like asking if somebody can tell which words to use when you speak to someone, and obviously that depends on what it is you're wanting to say...nobody else can know that.

It's exactly the same with your guitar, you can't just randomly hit strings, you have to have an idea in your head of what you're trying to do first. So put it down, listen to your backing and think of something that will sound good over it, then try and paly it on your guitar.

Basically you need to start playing your guitar rather than letting the guitar play you.

I see. But. What are the "rules" Do you start on the root? What are the helpfull rules?
There are no rules, none at all.

Come up with a melody in your head, and then try to play it (you can do this without a backingtrack on). This will help you translate your ideas to the guitar.

Then when you are playing a solo, you'll play what you hear in your head, and thats how you hit the right notes.
Short answer, hit the notes that make the sounds you want when you want.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Do you know anything about keys, scales, and modes? If not, start there.
Hi, I'm Peter
Try learning arpeggios and playing them with the chord changes, in conjunction with the scales you're playing.

A good start is the Major and Minor arpeggios, and then the Dominant arpeggios.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by luddesve
I see. But. What are the "rules" Do you start on the root? What are the helpfull rules?

its like you completely ignored seagulls comment. didn't even give it a glance, bro

if were all about "rules", you wouldn't have picked up your guitar in the first place because whoever inspired you to play would also be following "the rules" and wouldnt be a special player anyways. There are no rules, you learn how you want to play the guitar and then once you've got it all figured out you spit out your own tunes the way you want to hear them. simple as that. learn theory for the sake of having the fundamentals down, those are "rules" if you really need something to call "the rules"
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
In short, play the right notes (scales, theory, genre, ear training) at the right time (rhythm, phrasing, genre, technique, ear training)
This is like asking us to tell you how to drive a car and where to go... we can't help you unless you have a specific destination in mind.
Sounds like you need to learn your theory. We can't just tell you everything about the theory of music, but as others have said there are no rules when playing music. Do whatever you want.
Oh It has rules all right or any notes would work..they do not~! The theory remarks are spot on & teaches the best sounding "rules" as a guideline to follow. Chords are notes from a particular scale
& they have "numbers"..so theory is like a numbering system that shows what notes work best. The order, feel, timing, picking technique, tone & much more subtle things is where the fun starts. I didn't learn theory early enough & it's my greatest musical regret~!...well there was that '69 Les Paul...I needed the money...and...nevermind~!
I'm a huge believer of the "play what you hear in your head" philosophy. Listen to what is being played in the background and by the other instruments. If you don't hear anything in your head, don't play anything. If you do hear something, then it's just a matter of learning how to translate it to your guitar. We could give you some notes that are generally considered to be 'safe' to use together or in succession, but even still, it may not be right for the context of the song. As long as it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.