My band (that I recently left) recorded an album in November and I stupidly forgot to make a note of the microphones used for recording the guitar parts. I did take a few pictures though:

The one on the right looks like a Sennheiser 421, but I'm not sure. The one on the left I thought was a Neumann KM184 but the grill pattern doesn't match up what I've found online...

I want to reproduce the sound as best I can, as it was a pretty brutal guitar tone. Any thoughts?
The black one is a 421 indeed, can't tell if the second or first version.
As for the other one, if you don't need the exact same one for some particular reason, get some good pencil condenser and you're on it.

Anyway, you're better off asking this in the recording forum, there's people with lotsa experience about mic's here compared to here.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
It looks like it might be an old version of the Beyer (now Beyerdynamic) M series condenser microphones.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
revox m3500
sennheiser md421

^yeah, the m3500 seems to also be a beyerdynamic m201
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 9, 2014,
Pretty sure the one on the left is a Revox M3500. Fairly similar to the Beyer M201. It's not a condenser.

*edit* Damn, beaten by Gumbi. It's not exactly the same as the M201, as it has a different impedance and more high end, but the M201 is an awesome mic and one of my favorite dynamics for just about everything.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gumbilicious
revox m3500
sennheiser md421

^yeah, the m3500 seems to also be a beyerdynamic m201

Quote by MatrixClaw
Pretty sure the one on the left is a Revox M3500. Fairly similar to the Beyer M201. It's not a condenser.

*edit* Damn, beaten by Gumbi. It's not exactly the same as the M201, as it has a different impedance and more high end, but the M201 is an awesome mic and one of my favorite dynamics for just about everything.

Thanks so much gumbilicious and MatrixClaw. It is indeed a Revox. The name was trapped in my head and it's ringing bells all over the place now.

Quote by Spambot_2
As for the other one, if you don't need the exact same one for some particular reason, get some good pencil condenser and you're on it.

That's what I've ended up doing in the meantime. I don't know how hard it is to get a Revox, been using the pretty similar looking Neumann 84 in re-amping software.
Quote by SputnikUmlaut
That's what I've ended up doing in the meantime. I don't know how hard it is to get a Revox, been using the pretty similar looking Neumann 84 in re-amping software.

The Neumann is a condenser, the Revox is a dynamic mic. Two totally different things. If you want a similarish sound that will be found in most softwares like that, the Royer R-121 is probably about as close as it gets, even though its a ribbon mic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If you want a similarish sound that will be found in most softwares like that, the Royer R-121 is probably about as close as it gets, even though its a ribbon mic.

+1, and I would suggest also the Beyerdynamic TG V90r ribbon microphone.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley