I sent my power supply to repair, and i run on batteries now. The battery in my Boss OD-3 barely supplies enough power to make the pedal work, yet the light bulb isnt red at all. Now the pedal makes some fuzzy hissy dirty sound.

Can you change the sound of a pedal by supplying it with less power than usual?
Yes
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ That.

The EHX Big Muff Pi Germanium 4 actually has a controller to create this effect.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I've heard that if you use a dimmer switch on a tube amp, you can turn up the volume on the amp without it being excruciatingly loud, allowing you to get a better tone at the same volume.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Similar question. I use a one stot 9-volt for some of my pedals. I know a lot of pedals are compatibale with the one spot but are designed for other pedals. My TS808 for example is supposed to use an Ibanez AC 109, which I have and use.

Will you get different tones using a one spot rather than the specific power supply for the pedal?
Quote by JD Close
I've heard that if you use a dimmer switch on a tube amp, you can turn up the volume on the amp without it being excruciatingly loud, allowing you to get a better tone at the same volume.

i have heard of people using something like a variac on tube amps as well

Quote by Playsabadguitar
Similar question. I use a one stot 9-volt for some of my pedals. I know a lot of pedals are compatibale with the one spot but are designed for other pedals. My TS808 for example is supposed to use an Ibanez AC 109, which I have and use.

Will you get different tones using a one spot rather than the specific power supply for the pedal?

no. the power supply is distinguished by it's specs. the ac109 and the one spot are spec'd the same
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by GuitarDaddyCool

Can you change the sound of a pedal by supplying it with less power than usual?

As others already stated, yes. Read this: http://www.beavisaudio.com/products/devolt/
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
My PPII has a power "sag" where you can dial back the power to pedals. Hmmm... Never tried it.

Time fo experimentation
Quote by cheesefries
My PPII has a power "sag" where you can dial back the power to pedals. Hmmm... Never tried it.

Time fo experimentation

i think they need more 'sag' available. it does make a difference, but i have compared against drained batteries and the batteries can provide a substantially lower voltage.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
so i could take on output cable from my supa charger (iso power) and throw a resister in series to the input lead and have a different power abilities for different thing? what resister would i use?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
so i could take on output cable from my supa charger (iso power) and throw a resister in series to the input lead and have a different power abilities for different thing? what resister would i use?

Depends on what effect/circuit it is.
Or use a pot.
If just a resistor, start with like 3.3k and go from there.

BTW, this trick won't work on digital pedals.
When the battery goes down, they just stop working or work unpredictably.
Quote by CodeMonk
Depends on what effect/circuit it is.
Or use a pot.
If just a resistor, start with like 3.3k and go from there.

BTW, this trick won't work on digital pedals.
When the battery goes down, they just stop working or work unpredictably.

thanks. for the response. i think i may consider doing this with a pot. most of what i use are OD's and i don't use much else. 250k pot? linear or exponential? (i am not a very experienced technicalities of the details of the work), but i have built two amps, but i am far from experienced, i am pretty decend with a soldering iron.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks. for the response. i think i may consider doing this with a pot. most of what i use are OD's and i don't use much else. 250k pot? linear or exponential? (i am not a very experienced technicalities of the details of the work), but i have built two amps, but i am far from experienced, i am pretty decend with a soldering iron.

Linear
Try 10k - 50k
Quote by trashedlostfdup

The webpage that i posted earlier includes a link to instructions on how to build a dying battery simulator (theirs is called the Beavis Devolt). I built one and it's a pretty fun toy. Especially with my EHX Small Clone and my Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina (IC Big Muff clone with added functions).

Here's the link to the building instructions: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
A bit unrelated, but you also have the concept of VCO.

This stands for voltage controlled oscillator, and came on a lot of old synthesizers. With this the voltage directly affects the sound that is produced.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??