Hey guys,

So guitar is my 3rd instrument, and I'm not great with the err...mechanical aspects of it. I restrung my guitar with slightly thicker strings to tune down to drop C, and I am having a hell of a time dialing in the string height/action. I'm getting a fair amount of buzzing in the lower strings, especially when fretting, yet the action is fairly tight, especially in the 1st/2nd strings (I can only just barely get a note out of the 24th fret). The buzzing is especially bad above the 12th fret. Is it possible that something else is causing the problem, or...what should I do?

Guitar is a Schecter Diamond Series Omen-6 (no tremolo, tune-o-matic bridge).
Last edited by Det_Nosnip at Feb 9, 2014,
Google 'adjusting truss rod'. That might help.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

If your thicker strings are now sitting on TOP of the nut where before they were nestled into the nut slots, your action will be higher. If you lower the bridge to get the action back down, you'll find that your upper frets will now fret out and/or buzz. That part would have nothing to do with the truss rod (and would not be corrected by it). You would see this predominantly in the lower strings, which gain more girth relative to how their nut slots are cut. Often there will be little difference in the higher strings.
I'd say take it to a tech who knows what he's doing instead of taking advice to randoms on the net (no offence). Messing with stuff like the truss if you don't know what you're properly doing is a recipe for disaster. And I can say that because I don't
For the best possible results and lowest possible action without buzz, the truss, nut and bridge must all the adjusted according to the string tension. If you keep on going up and down on string gauges the balance will become upset (like it has with yours). Now the balance must be restored. My advice will be to get it professionally set up according to a gague that you like and then keep on using the same gauge to keep the balance. You shouldn't have any problems then unless you drop the guitar off a truck or something.
Quote by FoX KiLLa
Google 'adjusting truss rod'. That might help.

Good job telling what seems to be someone fairly new to guitar to possibly junk their instrument

Take it to a tech.
ayy lmao
Hey man, I am both a certified luthier (guitar builder) and tech. This and the guitar needs a setup, which is waaaaaay to much to type.

But the basis is this, you switched both string gauges and tuning, this changed the amount of tension that is pulling the neck forward, this will effect the entire guitars performance. So just tell the tech that you need a setup and intonation with this new gauge and tuning but remember that if you switch back to the other gauge and tuning, that you will have the same issue.

the price on a setup and intonation on a fixed bridge is anywhere between 30 and 50 dollars, depending on where you go.
if it buzzes on the first frets with going to bigger strings no matter how you set your action I'm 99% sure you just need to give the neck some relief (lefty loosey). When I adjust my truss rod I straighten it until I get some buzz on the second/third fret to let me know its just a bit too far and loosen it a quarter turn and it goes away.

Its very easy to do and you can youtube it. If you are still not comfortable prepare to pay some hack up to 50 bucks to turn a wrench. I'd recommend reading up on it/youtubing it and watching someone do it in person. You're better off being able to work on your own gear than pay someone to do very basic things every time a little thing goes wrong.
Last edited by cheesefries at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by chookiecookie
Good job telling what seems to be someone fairly new to guitar to possibly junk their instrument

Take it to a tech.

I learned to do these kinds of adjustments on my own without taking it to a tech. Sure, my comment was a rather simple and blunt statement, but it was a start. If you read instructions on these things carefully then you won't have any issues. Most results on adjusting the truss rod are quite obvious at warning that adjusting the truss rod may damage the guitar's neck if done improperly.

Besides, I merely said to "google it", as in "research it". Not "go off an overturn the truss rod and break your guitar's neck".
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Quote by FoX KiLLa
I learned to do these kinds of adjustments on my own without taking it to a tech. Sure, my comment was a rather simple and blunt statement, but it was a start. If you read instructions on these things carefully then you won't have any issues. Most results on adjusting the truss rod are quite obvious at warning that adjusting the truss rod may damage the guitar's neck if done improperly.

Besides, I merely said to "google it", as in "research it". Not "go off an overturn the truss rod and break your guitar's neck".

I learned to do these things as well. After a lot of research and I felt comfortable maintaining my things.

The way it was worded though made it seem like he's pretty new (if not an absolute beginner) to guitar. I didn't try stuff like that at first because I was A) unfamiliar with my instrument B) I lacked confidence in it due to A and C) Didn't really know what was optimal for performance.

I'm not trying to start shit. I came off like a dick. Sorry about that
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
I learned to do these things as well. After a lot of research and I felt comfortable maintaining my things.

The way it was worded though made it seem like he's pretty new (if not an absolute beginner) to guitar. I didn't try stuff like that at first because I was A) unfamiliar with my instrument B) I lacked confidence in it due to A and C) Didn't really know what was optimal for performance.

I'm not trying to start shit. I came off like a dick. Sorry about that

It's all good. I'm sure I came across overly defensive as well. Sometimes the bluntness is my wording tends to lead to that. It doesn't help that my original comment was made when I was just browsing sites while I was mind-numbingly bored earlier.

But I mean, if the TS is willing to try drop C and understands about raising the action on the guitar, then TS could learn about things like adjusting the truss rod as well. It all kind of plays together when learning to set up/adjust a guitar to how you want to play it. People shouldn't be scared to try to work with their guitar. The information on how to do these things yourself is out there.

But yes, if you aren't confident in trying to do these things yourself, then you can always go to a tech or someone experienced in how to set up a guitar.
Gear:
Some 4x12 cab

Last edited by FoX KiLLa at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by FoX KiLLa
Sometimes the bluntness is my wording tends to lead to that.

But yes, if you aren't confident in trying to do these things yourself, then you can always go to a tech or someone experienced in how to set up a guitar.

To the first part.

Yep, same problem

Second part we can agree on though.
ayy lmao
Yeah, I've decided to take it into a tech. I'm trying to learn as I go and might even see if I can get the tech to show me what he/she does so that I can eventually do it myself, but as many have alluded to, it's not worth junking the guitar over.

dspellman: yep, that's exactly what is happening. I actually was wondering if that was the issue. Is it possible to adjust that, or would the tech have to actually carve the hole wider?