Page 1 of 7
When your friend is showing you their vinyl collection and telling you how 'warm' they all sound because they're on vinyl and how much better they are than digital formats do you give them reluctant yeah yeah's or say nothing?
Quote by soundgarden1986
my friends dont have a vinyl collection they download all their music

We all have that one friend
No because they don't
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
My only friend with a record player loves the cracks and noises that an old record makes when it's played, like the spots you see on the screen when you watch a movie in the theaters

It adds a different and unique character to every song, that nobody else gets to hear

That's the reason he and I like them, They're no where near as close to the quality of digital though
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
My only friend with a record player loves the cracks and noises that an old record makes when it's played, like the spots you see on the screen when you watch a movie in the theaters

It adds a different and unique character to every song, that nobody else gets to hear

That's the reason he and I like them, They're no where near as close to the quality of digital though

just eat some crispy chips
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
digitally recorded music is so great on vinyl

+1
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by captaincrunk
just eat some crispy chips

I've only got some plain ones, and those aren't any good unless they're accompanied by a delicious chip dip, and I don't have any D:

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Vinyl, as a general rule, does sound better than digital recordings. The reason is that a vinyl record is a representation of the actual sound wave that was originally recorded, whereas a CD or other digital formats are only sampling approximately 2/3 of what was originally recorded. This is why people with true hi fi stereos don't waste their time with CDs.

Having said that, there are a lot of bad quality vinyl pressings out there. But records published by a reputable label are a real treat to listen to. I contend that people hating on vinyl probably have shitty stereos, or only listen to an iPod through Beats by Dre headphones, which are garbage. Or, they only associate vinyl with hipsters, who ruin everything they come in contact with, like vinyl, beards, cycling, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and cigarette smoking.
Quote by tanman
Vinyl, as a general rule, does sound better than digital recordings. The reason is that a vinyl record is a representation of the actual sound wave that was originally recorded

I got lost here
Quote by tanman
Or, they only associate vinyl with hipsters, who ruin everything they come in contact with, like vinyl, beards, cycling, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and cigarette smoking.

all of those were pretty terrible to begin with

Quote by Obsceneairwaves

There's VST's where you can add those cracks and pops to it. That just means you have to apply it to every song in your library.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by tanman
Vinyl, as a general rule, does sound better than digital recordings. The reason is that a vinyl record is a representation of the actual sound wave that was originally recorded, whereas a CD or other digital formats are only sampling approximately 2/3 of what was originally recorded. This is why people with true hi fi stereos don't waste their time with CDs.
Darling what on earth are you talking about?

That's a completely new one to me

EDIT: ^ I recommend Izotope Vinyl. Go-to if you're doing Burial rip off tunes
Last edited by willT08 at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by tanman

Having said that, there are a lot of bad quality vinyl pressings out there. But records published by a reputable label are a real treat to listen to. I contend that people hating on vinyl probably have shitty stereos, or only listen to an iPod through Beats by Dre headphones, which are garbage. Or, they only associate vinyl with hipsters, who ruin everything they come in contact with, like vinyl, beards, cycling, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and cigarette smoking.

I personally, am a huge fan of vinyl and like it better than any other format.

However, what you said is just not true. The "stair step" argument has been debunked.

More vinyl myths are talked about here:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_%28Vinyl%29#Vinyl_always_sounds_better_than_CD
Quote by tanman

back in the day, this was kinda true. but now everything's digitally recorded and it's just a matter of if you think the vinyl master or the digital master sounds better
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I openly tell them vinyl looks nice cos of the big art but ultimately CD is cheaper and better and when someone has a cassette collection I laugh at them for being stupid and backwards.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I openly tell them vinyl looks nice cos of the big art but ultimately CD is cheaper and better and when someone has a cassette collection I laugh at them for being stupid and backwards.

cassettes are awesome as shit, especially for modern albums
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Quote by willT08
Darling what on earth are you talking about?

That's a completely new one to me

I don't know the exact numbers, but digital audio is only an approximation of analog. If you take 16 samples per second, that is less audio than taking, say, 96 samples per second, which is in turn less than analog.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
There's VST's where you can add those cracks and pops to it. That just means you have to apply it to every song in your library.

that's pretty cheap though

I wouldn't enjoy it at all if it didn't happen from age and use, it's like mcdonalds putting fake grill marks on their burgers to make you think it's been grilled.

It's just not the same

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by Random3
I don't know the exact numbers, but digital audio is only an approximation of analog.
No wai
hIf you take 16 samples per second, that is less audio than taking, say, 96 samples per second, which is in turn less than analog.

no wai

I wanna know where he got 2/3 from, seems like an oddly neat number

EDIT: Also, the otological hubris in thinking you can really hear the difference is kinda baseless

Like people pretend that recording to tape and then cutting to vinyl sounds way better because listen to Pink Floyd maaaan, but to be honest if you recorded it digitally in the same rooms and used the same mixing techniques it'd sound the same anyway lol
Last edited by willT08 at Feb 9, 2014,
Quote by Random3
I don't know the exact numbers, but digital audio is only an approximation of analog. If you take 16 samples per second, that is less audio than taking, say, 96 samples per second, which is in turn less than analog.

Are you talking about how analog audio is lossless? Cause there are lossles digital formats too it's just that it's a waste of space since there's not much (or any) difference past a certain point.

Also not all vinyl sounds good cause of digital recording methods becoming the standard, sometimes the MP3 is better in my experience.

Or if you're not even talking about that sorry.
Quote by Random3

it's not like an artist records an album, it's put on wax, and then they get the music out of that vinyl version to make the digital.

the digital version and the vinyl version are two interpretations (for lack of a better term) of the master recording.

unless you're ripping a cd at the lowest possible mp3 setting, you can't say the digital version sounds worse because of the limitations of digital music files.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Vinyl ftw. I don't know what sounds better but I like big sleeves and watching the discs spin and just listening to whole records without pause

My record store has tons of edm stuff will, yer fighting the wrong battle bb
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by Random3

I'm gonna post this again:
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_%28Vinyl%29#Vinyl_always_sounds_better_than_CD

tl;dr: The errors inherent in vinyl are far greater than any inherent to digital.
What I think he was saying is that in recording an album everything you do goes through an A/D converter and as such even if you then get the lossless file there's been some loss of information in that conversion. What he doesn't realize is he couldn't hear the difference anyway but it's chill

And I'm fighting no battle, I actually have a few vinyls but that's because they're dubplates and test pressings and Dubstep is a scene where vinyl is a pretty integral thing rather than just being some dudes with handlebar moustaches pressing any old shit
I kind of like the novelty of collecting and listening to vinyl albums, but digital has better clarity. There's no real way to argue against that.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
CDs are more convenient convenient, vinyl looks better for showing off purposes, both pretty much sound the same except one sounds more like a fireplace.

Q: WHAT CHEAP RECORD PLAYER SHOULD I BUY IF I WERE TO BUY ONE?
they're fun and have their own unique appeal
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by bradulator
CDs are more convenient convenient, vinyl looks better for showing off purposes, both pretty much sound the same except one sounds more like a fireplace.

I use a Sony PS-LX250H. Paid like 50 bucks for it.
Guys this is off the topic anyway

The question is how do you react to a friend who's proud of the sound of his vinyls without encouraging his enthusiasm but also without insulting him?
You could try being indifferent about something so trivial
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
What shitty record players are people using that their vinyls are all crackely? Mine just sound pretty much exactly the same as any relatively high quality audio file.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by bradulator

don't go crosley, whatever you do.

do you have a local record store? i'd check out what they have. at mine i got this and some dece speakers for $75 less than they'd be individually. i've had no problems with it, and it's been in heavy use for 3/4ths of a year.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder